Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Acute numbness and increased pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
I am new to this ......call me leo girl for my leonberger dogs. Brief hx: i have had chronic pain since 04 at least. had a laminectomy then with some improvement in my foot but not back. then had an l4-5 fusion posterior with my own bone graft. I got wose not better. was able to work 1.5 yrs after and finally resigned a job i loved because i just couldn't do the driving lifting and carrying of clinic equipemnt. allthis time I have had other treatments ranging from prolotherapy, to epiddurals to the RACZ procedure to facet blocks and dorsal root ganglion injection. also an Intradiscal injection. all would give me ten days or less releit if any ....so I went on meds and just resigned myself to coping with the chronic pain. June 1 i get a completely numb left foot out of no where .....shooting electric pains unbearbale. MRI had been done in feb so a new one done ......doesnt look great but no new red flags. cant see though behind the hardware. Meanwhile on bad days I have pain on outer side of foot, down my leg into myfoot arch and in my back on both sides now going sideways. My question will a myelogram possibly show what may have been missed on the MrI. This was so unusual and so acute, leaving me using a cane some days and has devastated me. studies show bakers cyst in raer of knee with some slowing of impulses there and mild peripheral neuropathy and nerve damage at brances of sciatic and posterior tibial nerve? sorry so long . thanks for listening ie reading this. leogirl
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are having chronic pain. ~X( have you tried any nerve pain medications for your sciatica? Lyrica has proven to be a bog help to me. this is something you might talk to your doctor about. :-C please be careful walking with your cane. have a look around the different forums and make yourself at home. good luck with your pain treatments. Jenny :)
  • I thought I'd share my experience and see if it gives you any ideas. In the last 3+ years during and since my surgeries, I had a nerve pain that started in my buttock, but as it got worse, it would radiate to my hip, down my leg, to my foot, and then these sharp, shooting pains that would fly out of my foot. I refer to them as lightening strikes.

My nerve pain is a constant burning, 24 hours a day. I must stay reclined almost all day because sitting of any kind, walking, anything triggers this pain to be much worse.

Not only all of that, but my lateral buttock, legs and feet (on both sides) are significantly numb. To the point I have balance issues if I"m not careful. If you look at a dermatome chart, I am numb pretty much in the exact S1 dermatome pathway.

Each doc (orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeon, family docs, physical therapy folks, etc.) just kept telling me that it takes nerves up a year to heal, at the rate of 1 inch a month. But I could tell that there was no improvement happening, easily judged by shaving. lol

Finally, I got my newest doc to test my nerves specifically after all my MRI's, CT mylegram, CT scans, and all, look fabulous - no impingements, no compressions, no excessive scar tissue. A real fusion success story, as I had had major instability that had to be fixed.

This neurosurgeon finally ordered nerve conduction studies and an EMG. In minutes, it showed chronic and acute S1 nerve damage, permanent nerve damage. Devastating news, but at least I was validated and had an answer. Plus, this meant no more "let's try this" surgeries. Knowing the nerves are shot tells them I must now be in lifelong medical management for the pain. In fact, as soon as he saw the results, he said "You need a spinal cord stimulator. That will be the only thing that will help, other than an implanted pain pump".

Moving to a long-acting med gave me significant pain relief, although we are still tweaking the dosages. I'm in a holding pattern at the moment, because I recently had my required psych evaluation for the spinal cord stimulator trial, and will be having that Dec. 4th. (If you haven't heard of or had a chance to look into that, one of my favorite pages on that is http://www.poweroveryourpain.com. That is the brand I am getting - ANS Eon Mini. There is also a very helpful video posted on a thread here from Beth Israel hospital in New York (that I just discovered yesterday and watched) showing footage and describing in detail the SCS, MedTronic Restore brand. But it is informative no matter what brand you get. http://www.or-live.com/bethisrael/1867/

I am SO excited. What this will do is send a pulsating signal that will block the nerve pain signals from getting to my brain. My trial will be for 5 days, and if I get a 50% reduction in pain or more, then I will qualify for the permanent device. It is rechargeable and has a remote control that I can control how much buzzing/tingling I experience depending on pain level.

And I want you to know you aren't alone. Those electric shocks are something else. I'm sorry you have to experience that. And the numbness is just dangerous. :( I truly hope you do not have permanent nerve damage.

Welcome to Spine Health - sorry you are suffering, but hope you find much support here. It's a great group of folks who truly understand like no one else in our lives possibly can.

Cheri
  • leogirl- welcome to spine health. I would ask the dr if a myelogram is the only choice. He may be looking for something specific behind hardware that he feels a myelogram will show..not sure though...jade
  • I do not really have anything to add to the other comments but I did want to welcome you and wish you luck in your journey for pain relief. I too am on long acting meds that have really helped with my quality of life. Nobody really wants to be on meds for the rest of their life but sometimes that is the only option. Good luck and keep us posted.
advertisement