Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bankruptsy nightmare

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Water Cooler
My husband and I had to file for bankruptcy (sp)in 2006 after my auto accident. All of our bills just got so piled up.Anyway, when e first met with the lawyer, he gave us a price of $1500.00 with a few other charges added for credit checks and minor things...credit counseling classes blah blah blah. It took us 2 years to come up with that money and after much work on the part of his legal aide, we met with her tonight to sign the paperwork so she could file it tomorrow.... The last day to do it as many of the other things we did, the means test counseling would all expire in November. So, we had to bring the kids ( they were pretty good) and we started to go thru signing all the papers with the legal aide. Low and behold, our BIG SHOT attorney comes in half way and starts with nicey nicey talk. Then he says, well due to the increase in fileing fees and paper and other stuff, the price of a bankrupcy is now $2000.00. Fine, whatever. Then he says he needs it tomorrow before he will file the paperwork???? X( X( X( I cant tell you how angry I became. I said if we had $500.00 laying around we wouldnt be filing for bankrupty would we. Well the attoney sort of laughed thinking I was joking. Then he saw my face. OMG I was LIVID. I was shaking I was so upset. I said impossible. I asked when he found out the price went up and he said oh a few months ago. We were just in his office signing paperwork 3 weeks ago. Why didnt he tell us then. He then realized he had a very angy woman in front of him. He got very defensive. And said well, how can you guys get the money. I said rob a bank. Well, he got all pissed off at me, stomped his feet liike a 3 yr old and walked out of the room. His legal aide didnt know he was dropping this on us either. I said it was rediculous and were not paying it tomorrow. I am so mad still I cant even sleep. We finished signing the paperwork and as we walked out with our 3 & 4 yr old in tow I saw him and I said ya know if I would pay that money tomorrow, which Im not you are taking cristmas away from these 2 kids. Can you live with that? He just grunted and said forget it. Im on fire tonight X(
advertisement

Comments

• That just seems wrong. If you have been paying on this for 2 years, you would think he couldn't change the conditions of the filing, although that has been quite a long bit of time.

I can only imagine the anger and stress you feel, having such a change thrown on you without notice. And to be so "out of control" with it all - just what are your choices? I just can't get over the no notice, and his nonchalant attitude.

( ( HUGS ) )

Cheri

• Well, I really dislike lawyers, but I will say I am so sorry your having this added stress esp. during the holidays.There maybe a state/federal law that prevents this.I would try to get a 2nd opinion from the Lawyers association.
  • I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Everything including his fee should be in writing. For him to change the fee is really dishonest. He probably wanted to see how much money he could get from you. He just made things worse because you won't be recommending him to your friends nor family. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I agree, when you first began with him I'm sure you signed an agreement with him, which certiantly included the fee. It's a legal document (as he well knows) and can not be changed. Find that paperwork and send him a copy...just as a little reminder.

Good luck to you. I'd be more than livid!

Griff
  • We did sign a contract in the beginning, but I was too furious to even pull it out and read it last night. Im a little calmer today. LOL. I believe its allowed to increase the price of it but I was mad that he did it like that on the last possible day we could file. And right before the holidays. I also gave my husband hell over it for just sitting there like a big dope and saying yes to everything. He called me the bulldog all night long. Anyway, if it doesnt go thru we are just forgetting about the whole thing. Im not going thru all this again. It was my husbands idea to do it in the beginning and Im the one who ends up doing all the work. Let them put liens on us, I really dont care. They cannot attatch wages so. Let them take what we dont have as we truley do not have anything of physical value. And I did get all my stuff for thanksgiving at the store, thank you very much HAHAHA
  • Well, since you can't pay the $2000, I'd keep my money and buy the kids some presents. But, that's just me. I am very impulsive like that.

You handled things well. Much better than I would have. Bankruptcy is stressful enough. But, gees - you mean to tell me he can't accept the $1500 and then take the other measly $500 (measley to HIM, not you) in a couple installments? What a Scrooge! He's a mean one, that Mr. Grinch! He's just ASKING - BEGGING for bad Karma to knock on his door, let me tell ya.

That burns me up just thinking about it. You are right - he could have and SHOULD have said something sooner. :W

Jeaux
    :jawdrop:
advertisement