Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OMG, can you guys help me?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:''( Monday, at work, my back was really bothering me. I got home later that day and started having what felt like cramps in my knee. As the evening progressed it got so bad I ended up in the ER. They put me through every test, ultrasound for a clot, etc... only abnormality was my TSH was elevated from a 1.8 up to almost six in less than a month. Last night and all day yesterday, every 20 minutes it feels like someone is taking a hot drill through my knee. It does not radiate from my back. Is this sciatica? I have not slept for more than 4 hours in the last two days. No pain pills work, nothing. Valium, Percocet, ibuprofen, tried them all - nothing. If this is sciatica, I am going to get my surgery moved up IMMEDIATELY if I can. Can someone please, please help me and tell me if this is what that feels like? :''( I am at my wits end and don't know what to do.
advertisement

Comments

• Did they do an xray of your knee? What did the ER say they thought it was? I've never heard of sciatica feeling like that, but don't know for sure. I'm sure someone else will come along and have an explanation for what you might be feeling. I'm so sorry you're in such pain. :''( Try to stay off of it for a few days, though. Have you tried ice on it? Keep us posted, ok?
  • Yes, normal. Joy, thanks for replying. I honest to God don't know what to do. I have had the shooting type pains into my butt, but this is from my knee. Only when I am resting, if I walk - it goes away.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    that the symptoms you are describing in you knee dont seem consistent with sciatica related pain.
    What surgery are you waiting for?
    In the meantime, perhaps moist warm heat wrapped around your knees might give you some comfort.
    I would contact your surgeon who is going to do your surgery and discuss this with she/he
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • is ALIF/PLIF 3/2009. He is two hours away in Appleton. His PA called yesterday and told me that I had not had radiculopathy in the legs before, probably not. Now the orthopedic office here at my clinic just called me and said "that sounds like it is from your back." Okay... ~X(
  • hello

sorry your going thru so much pain around the holiday. maybe it isnt related to the back. Is your knee swollen? im not a docotr but i jhad severe pain in my knee worse ever they told me i had bursitis, but my knee was swollen.

i am not in the medical field, just telling you my personal experience.

dawn
  • It doesn't sound like Sciatic pain or your back. Sounds to me like you might have done something to your KNEE. Referred pain is usually not that intense, and Sciatica is either from the buttocks down the thigh, or what they consider "true sciatica" is all the way down to the ankle/foot. Sciatica isn't generally a drilling feeling. After my first back surgery I had a stabbing feeling in my calf, but it was all the way down my leg, just more so in the calve, and they called in some steroids and muscle relaxers for me, and it went away... It was irritation from the nerve... It was only a couple days after surgery. It sounds like you could have inflamed something in your knee.

If you're really worried, you could go to the E.R. and request an MRI of your back, or x-rays of your knee... But sometimes people just twist things and don't notice it. I actually have had a few different random types of pain...Had really bad wrist pain like that, and I couldn't pick anything up, at all... Left it for the week and didn't use it, and it went away. I dunno, Our bodies can be funny little things...
  • EMT Lady, our nervous system is so complex, I think anything is possible. While traditional sciatic is a radiating pain from the back/buttocks down the leg, everyone is different and I think it is possible it is coming from your back. The stabbing/searing pain does sound like it could be from a nerve to me. My radiculopathy was in my hip joint, around groin and down to inner knee. I really believed it was my hip causing it, but the hip was fine.

I would get in touch with the surgeon and see what he thinks. Do you have some good pain meds? Maybe try to get something stronger to get you through. I hope you feel relief soon. Do try ice and heat. Good-luck, >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Hi emtlady, one week after surgery I got knee pain then it started coming from my buttock and down to my calf. I had my 2 week follow-up and staple removal yesterday so I mentioned to the surgeon I had those pains and could not sleep more than 3-4 hours at a time. He had me get a shot in the back to calm down the nerves. The shot was done right away and I have had relief so far. Slept through the night last night!!! Maybe your knee pain is starting to tell you that you might be doing too much and it may be time to visit the surgeon or get an injection to rule out nerve pain syndrome. Nerves run along the side of the spine and can be aggravated by anterior lumbar spine sugery as well as other causes. This information was given to me by a handout that accompanied my surgical information packet by my surgeon at the Neuro Spine Center of Wisconsin. Private Message me if you wish. Take Care and Best Wishes
  • I agree with Cali-Sue. Your knee pain can be caused from the nerve issue in your back. It seems weird, but a lot depends on what part of the nerve is being compressed. In a lot of cases, people with bad backs and nerve issues swear their feet hurt. Actually, their feet are usually ok. The problem is that the sensory part of the nerve where there is damage is a receptor for a specific part of the body. Perhaps - and only a guess at this point, it could be reffered pain.

But, as Lo put it, there could be a knee issue going on. The human body is a strange thing sometimes.

EMT Lady - have you been favoring one side when walking or lifting? If so, that could be leading to the pain.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I went in and had an MRI of my knee earlier today. Radiologist called my doc stat - normal. This leaves only a few alternatives left, either it is my back causing this or something metabolic and the magnesium test and sed rate are still out, will find out later tonight. He agreed to give me a shot of Toradol tonight right before his office closes at 7:30 to help me sleep. I have had about 4-6 hours since Monday. If it is my back, I am totally screwed since my surgery is not supposed to happen until March. This is really making me depressed. I'll write more tomorrow when I get some more answers. Thanks everybody for your help.
  • Why is your surgery so far away????
  • a similar pain in the back of my knee and thigh.
    This was before I had my fusion and I can tell you that it was like someone had a knife in my knee. I could have screamed with the pain but it was too much effort along with fighting off the pain.
    For me thankfully it did go when I rested.

This was caused by the sciatic nerve. Sound like you need to get an MRI or CT scan done of your spine if you haven't had one recently
    And some decent pain killers. Maybe a slow release one

Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Rest and put some heat packs on your back. Gentle massage may also help but make sure it is GENTLE.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Sleep, love, and worry about it tomorrow! Just get the rest that your body needs right now more than anything! I) I)
  • I used to get horrible right knee pain and it was actually coming from the nerves in my back. It has gotten a lot better since my surgery.
  • Well, I took two percocets, three Naprosyn, one valium, one Klonazepam, and a shot of toradol. @) Got me through until 3 a.m. and then repeated minus the toradol and got my first night sleep. I am refreshed, but pain is still there. Oddly enough, a friend of mine from Milwaukee who had a 360 called this morning thinking I had my surgery last week - he had the exact pain - it was sciatica and he is now fine one year later postop 360. I am off work until 12/5, so I will be going to see Dr. Ullrich as soon as possible and see if I can get this surgery moved up = possible as soon as in the next two weeks. If it is related to my thyroid, I won't know I guess, but I can't take a chance.

Today, I give thanks to God for all the wonderful people here who have been a lifeline to me in these dark hours the past three days. Bless you all. Especially my e-mail friend Pika. Have a blessed holiday everyone and thank you so much. >:D<
  • problems could possibly be linked to the meds you are taking. I would get the Dr to check that one our. In fact if you have a good pharmasist then they should be able to tell you if any of the meds have that side effect.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Thanks emtlady, I am so glad to hear your checking into an earlier surgery date I am so happy I did it sooner than later. 17 days post-op and I feel as if I never had any pain in my back, ever. I did do an oops today, I was giving a pill to one of my dogs and it feel on the ground and without thought I bent over and picked it up! I felt a little pulling and now a little weirdness in my back but not pain. I guess I felt so good I forgot about the surgery. Blessings to all and for the families that support us through our pain and recovery. We are truly blesssed. If you want me to meet you for your appointment we can have coffee or lunch??? PM me if you wish or call me
advertisement