Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

10 days post-surgery 2 level ACDF with instrumention

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Wanted to post my update and couldn't find the "recovery" thread . . . sorry I posted a new topic, but I hope that folks who are getting ready to undergo their surgeries read this post. Prior to my surgery, I read EVERYTHING I could find on this Board concerning my upcoming surgery . . . must admit, most of the threads and posts scared me silly, but I also think they prepared me for the surgery and what I would be facing.

Saw my NS yesterday in my first post-op appointment. No more hard collar -- or soft collar . . . range of motion very good . . . released to drive! They took the steri-strips off my incision. Yuck! Looks like I had a fight with Edward Scissorhands and lost! Frightening . . . but I know in a week or so, it will be less noticeable.

Will return to work in 2 1/2 weeks on a part-time basis for 2 weeks, then full-time.

Only residuals from the surgery is the nasty golf-ball still in my throat. When I'm up too long, it turns into a butter knife lodged sideways in my throat. NS said it was swelling and would eventually go away. Let's hope he's right. It's challenging to deal with -- frustrating. I have minimal pain between my shoulders, although I'm still sleeping in a nearly sitting position, and my left index finger remains numb (sometimes painful). I take one Vicoden before bed . . . nothing else.

And . . . the fatigue! UGH. I still am napping a lot. Prior to surgery, I worked 50 - 65 hours per week for several years, so I think I'm just destressing and catching up on my rest.

All in all . . . great experience and easier-than-expected surgery and recovery.

Good luck to all who's getting ready to go through with a surgery! Tough decision to make. Peace and blessings.
advertisement

Comments

• Sounds like you're doing pretty good at the 10-day mark. <:P <:P Good for you. Just remember to be kind to yourself and don't do things you know you shouldn't do. >:D< >:D<
  • Thanks for the kind words and gentle reminder, Joy! It's easy, so easy, to do something that you shouldn't do. You don't evedn give it a thought . . . until it's too late and then you're down! I did it yesterday after seeing the NS. Took my daughters to dinner and then to Target. Wrong!!! I was in bed from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Plum wore out!!!!

Today, I woke up with sinus issues -- a cold, perhaps. Boy, am I wiped out! And sneezing hurts that durned golf ball in my throat!
  • I am glad your surgery went so well. People who are new to this forum don't take into consideration that we discuss many different types and levels of surgeries, and everybody has a different experience. Many people who had an easy time with their surgery don't bother to post afterwards. So it is good to read some of the success stories.

But as well as you feel, you are still recovering, so don't be surprised if you don't have your stamina back right away. Just do it slowly, and little by little you'll be your old self.

Best wishes,

Kin
  • Hi Kin:

Thanks for your post.

Just in case anybody is reading and wants to know . . . I had c5/6 and c6/7 fused.

Was sitting on the couch tonight realizing how much progress I've made in such a short period of time. Endurance isn't so great, but I'm resting a lot and napping once (sometimes twice) per day.

I wanted to share my experience because it was a good one -- much better than I truly expected, and I wanted everybody who's scheduled to have an open mind and a positive outlook, if possible. Let your family and friends help you get through the surgery and recovery. Take the time you need to get on your feet.

Recovery is longer than a few days. I'm sure anybody with a spinal surgery knows this -- but the reminder is oftentimes needed.

• Thank you for all of the posts! I am scheduled for an ACDF on Monday Dec. 8th and though I have been reading a lot like others seeem to have done, I often times get frightened. I am not sure why, maybe because I have never had surgery and don't know what to expect? The unknown is always scary!! Is it the pain? Maybe needing help? Maybe the golfball feeling in the throat?

Regardless, with all the reading I have done about the decision to have surgery, the surgery, and the recovery, the overall feeling I get is very positive! I have read a few negative posts, but I have not come across very many which is extremely encouraging!

Your posts have helped me quite a bit. I am beginning to think it may not be as bad as I am expecting. Or am I setting myself up? :S

Thanks again.
  • You didn't go back to work in a week?

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/neck-pain-cervical/workin

Just kidding! :))(

Hope your recovery is going well!
  • It's so nice to hear good post op stories. I am so happy that everything is going so well for you. As evryone else has said though be careful to not overdo. I know all too well that it is easier said than done. Keep taking your naps & enjoy them.
    Take care of yourself. I wish you the best! :)
    Kim
  • I'm so happy surgery went well so far for you. Take it slow and don't overdo. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • =)) j/k But seriously, I wish you all the best for your surgery tomorrow. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • ...for all the well-wishes.

I know I'm still recovering -- and am glad I didn't rush back to work. Yesterday was a bad day -- not really in "pain", just so fatigued and "uncomfortable". I spent most of the day in bed.

Sweetrobs, I felt like you a few weeks ago. I read everything I could find on the Board -- wanted to know what I was facing because the unknown was so scary. What I found out was that I had a lot of the same complaints as everybody else immediately post-op, but they were bearable and much less than ANY pain I had pre-surgery during my pain flares.

I wouldn't sign up again really quickly to do this again, and I pray that my fusion "takes" ... but all-in-all, it wasn't too bad!
advertisement