Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica question?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
I had a medication added and forgot to ask my doctor a very important question. Can anyone tell me how long you have to take it for relief and what I should/could expect? My doctor pounded out my joint pain and now took on my back. I'm on 75mg x 2 and as excited as a child on his 1st day @ school. L/4-S1 problems extreme pain and numbness thighs and feet and right calve. Pretty expensive stuff but if it works hallelujah! Has anyone heard when/if they're coming out with a generic? I'm all giddy and that's good!
advertisement

Comments

• Pregabalin is the generic name for lyrica. At first on lyrica I had a dry mouth, and foot and leg swelling and stiffness. Short term memory loss and feeling tired. Your dose is mild so may not bring on all those symptoms. The symptoms mostly wear off except the weight gain, in a couple of weeks. Lyrica helped my leg sciatica alot.... I hope it helps you also. I'm now on 150 mg 2x a day. I was up to 600 mg day before the epidurals which helped the tingling and numbness immensely like 50%. Keep us posted on your progress. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • He wrote the script and was signed with substitution permitted, so (Par for course) I'm a bit confused. I looked at their web-site but much prefer a patients personal experience with side affects. I'm 200# 6'2" so I don't need the weight gain. Pretty much sedentary now that it's cold. This is day 2 and still constant tingling and numbness. I guess wait and see.

Happy Holidays to all.....hurtzallot.
  • hi hurtzallot,
    dont dismay give a week or two before you feel the full results............seriously thought i think this is a wonder drug pain ways it has helped me immensley.
    hope you get the relief ASAP.

LOVE P
  • I would definitely give it a couple weeks as suggested above. Once it kicks in you'll definitely know! Plus there's a lot more room for you and your Dr to work with regarding dosage increases so if it doesnt help you might ask for a higher dose. I haven't gained weight from the lyrica so that may be a side effect that not everyone has. I haven't heard of a generic available yet, which is why I get samples from my doc because my insurance doesn't cover it. If it's a worry for you financially, if you haven't already tried it, Neurontin comes in a generic (gabapentin) and that's the same type of drug (for nerve pain) so you might want to ask about that. I tried it but had a horribly bad reaction to it so it's Lyrica or nothing for me when it comes to nerve pain meds. I also take MS Contin ER and Oxycodone, plus ibuprofen daily as well-in my opinion, Lyrica is a Godsend! I think it was about a week for me to notice it working but I'm not 100% sure about that cause it's been awhile.

Good luck to you-I hope it works! Let us know, OK?

Take care of you...
  • DID YOU KNOW THIS MEDICATION IS FOR DIABETS? IT IS FOR NERVE PAIN ENDING. A DOCTOR TRIED TO GIVE IT TO ME I TOLD THEM I DIDN'T WANT THEM AND A FEW MORE CHOICE WORDS.LOL. I HAVE 3 DISC THAT NEEDS TO COME OUT TORN FACETS PLUS ANOTHER BUNCH OF LONG WORDS AND I HAVE TO USE A WALKER TO WALK AND I NEED ANOTHER KNEE REPLACEMENT AND EAT UP WITH ARTHRITIS AND FIBROMYALGIA, SLEEP APENA I COULD GO ON BUT I WOULDN'T EVEN TAKE THE PERSCRIPTION. I HOPE IT DOES HELP YOU BUT I THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT IT WAS JUST IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW. AND IT TAKES I WOULD THINK AROUND 20 TO 30 MIN'S TO START WORKING. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT TURKEYDAY !!! SHARON :H [quo te=hurtzallot]I had a medication added and forgot to ask my doctor a very important question. Can anyone tell me how long you have to take it for relief and what I should/could expect? My doctor pounded out my joint pain and now took on my back. I'm on 75mg x 2 and as excited as a child on his 1st day @ school. L/4-S1 problems extreme pain and numbness thighs and feet and right calve. Pretty expensive stuff but if it works hallelujah! Has anyone heard when/if they're coming out with a generic? I'm all giddy and that's good!
  • DID YOU KNOW THIS MEDICATION IS FOR DIABETS? IT IS FOR NERVE PAIN ENDING. A DOCTOR TRIED TO GIVE IT TO ME I TOLD THEM I DIDN'T WANT THEM AND A FEW MORE CHOICE WORDS.LOL. I HAVE 3 DISC THAT NEEDS TO COME OUT TORN FACETS PLUS ANOTHER BUNCH OF LONG WORDS AND I HAVE TO USE A WALKER TO WALK AND I NEED ANOTHER KNEE REPLACEMENT AND EAT UP WITH ARTHRITIS AND FIBROMYALGIA, SLEEP APENA I COULD GO ON BUT I WOULDN'T EVEN TAKE THE PERSCRIPTION. I HOPE IT DOES HELP YOU BUT I THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT IT WAS JUST IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW. AND IT TAKES I WOULD THINK AROUND 20 TO 30 MIN'S TO START WORKING. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT TURKEYDAY !!! SHARON :H [quo te=hurtzallot]I had a medication added and forgot to ask my doctor a very important question. Can anyone tell me how long you have to take it for relief and what I should/could expect? My doctor pounded out my joint pain and now took on my back. I'm on 75mg x 2 and as excited as a child on his 1st day @ school. L/4-S1 problems extreme pain and numbness thighs and feet and right calve. Pretty expensive stuff but if it works hallelujah! Has anyone heard when/if they're coming out with a generic? I'm all giddy and that's good!
  • Re Lyrica: A lot of medications are prescribed for different reasons. Another example would be Beta Blocking meds for high blood pressure...it dramatically helps migraine sufferers. I had migraines for decades and when I was put on blood pressure meds, the headaches dissapeared! So...don't be frightened of Lyrica just because it is prescribed for diabetics. Yes, a lot of people have a bad reaction to the drug, but so many people have also been helped! I take the gabapentin and it totally took care of the sciatica, with no bad side effects. Just my thoughts.
  • I am a borderline diabedic, BS level of around 116. (BS= Blood Surgar not Bull-Shit or I'd be off the charts) My Blood Pressure runs a little high also 135/87-77. So by adding up what all of you contributed from personal experience and knowledge it makes perfect sense. Lets hope for the best. What a great site!

hurtzallot
  • Maybe that's why I haven't had any migraines as the Lyrica helps stop them. YAY! and the morphine too I bet. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I love my Lyrica too, I'm 150mg x2 per day. I had a torn and leaking disc L5-S1, the numbness/tingling/electricity feeling in my leg was nearly unbearable and the Lyrica has nearly eliminated it!

It did take about 3 weeks for the levels to build up and level out in your body, it's not an instant fix. In fact when I started I was at 50mg x2 per day for 2 weeks then went to the higher dose. I've only had a couple side effects: first and foremost I have trouble concentrating and sometimes have short-term memory issues. My wife is still trying to get accustomed to this. The other problem, which has resolved itself, was vertigo. I would be sitting and when the vertigo would kick in I would have to hang on to my chair until the ride came to a complete stop. @)

If I remember correctly, the Lyrica patent won't expire until 2011 so no generics :( but I say it's still worth the price.
  • :H .I sent you a PM with user reviews to the medication Lyrica.I hope it helps.
  • and i'm getting numb and pins and needles in my feet. my foot went all floppy when i got out of bed. i couldn't feel it at all. i am scared that i will break my ankle. i tried neurontin first and it worked better for pain, but i broke out in cysts and boils and started losing my hair.
    i find myself severely depressed on lyrica, but i also don't have any support from family and am not wanted where i live. my parents do not believe in chronic pain even though a friend has called them and tried to get them to give some support.

i'm so suicidal. i think some of it is that due to pain clinic not taking me back and withdrawals from oxycontin that i was on for 7 years, but i'm too afraid to tell my new pm doctor as he probably will toss me too and i want to get the epidural i'm scheduled for.

i just hope i can hold out until the 12th of december.

i don't dare go to the er, either.

i don't know if anyone else has had severe depression on lyrica.

my face also peeled and is all red as if it was burned. i feel like i've lost my mind too.

i'm so scared. i don't want to die but i can't live like this. i don't know what to do anymore.
  • i guess that's what scared me most. i feel as if i lost my mind. i used to teach at a university and now i can't even think. i used to work as an editor but i cannot find words anymore. i used to write and cannot do that anymore.

i can't even read. these were all the things that i enjoyed in life.

before the pain, long ago, i taught yoga too and loved to hike and paint but had to give up physical stuff.

if i have to give up everything i am, who is left?

is my choic between intolerable pain and nothingness?

my psychologist told me that he sees hell in my eyes. i am so miserable and i keep trying to have a better attitude but it's not working. too much pain. too many bad memories of being dumped or criminalized or just treated very badly because pain is something that my family doesn't believe in. i lost my uterus first because the doctor thought that was causing pain, then my husband, then my job, then my parents.

i can't stop crying. it's been 4 months since my fiance broke up with me and that was done in a horrible way as we had a fight and he pushed me then he called the cops and told them i was on narcotics and they took me to jail.

ever since, i have been trying to use other things for pain and get off narcotics and it's not working. i'm in bed 24/7 for past 3 months.

i don't want this life anymore. when people were tortured in the old days they would want to die to be spared pain. that's how i feel. but all i have is two kitties and i don't want to abandon them. it sounds horrid, but i would rather put them to sleep with me as they are very frightene d of people save for me and would be terrified if i gave them away.

i'm at a loss now. last april i was doing really well on my meds and now i've cut my meds in half and am on new stuff that is driving me nuts and i cannot tell the doctor or he will see me as a drug seeker and i won't get the epidural i want so i just suffer.

how much can a person take.
  • Hi I have been on lyrica for about 6 weeks now am up to 250mg per day. I cannot say it seems to have done too much pain wise but it seems to help with my depth of sleep. I don't sleep long but the sleep I am getting is better.

The side effects I have had are short term memory loss and I sometimes cannot find the words when I talk which is odd.

Also lyrica is not a drug specifically for diabetics it is effective for many types of neuropathic pain not just diabetic neuropathy,

Hope this helps best wishes

Dawn

• Maybe review the med with your Dr. That is a very low dose. Have you been to a pain management Dr. yet? My sciatica is more than 50% improved from the epidurals. I have a numb floppy foot but I had it before the lyrica. Getting in the shower drags my foot right over the tub and it's floppy. I was worse starting lyrica my legs puffed up like elephant feet but after a month they went down. Some people may not be able to handle the side effects. I don't work now or drive I'm on Long term disability so it doesn't matter if it makes me tired. Take care. Hope you have some relief soon. Charry
  • I'm on wellbutrin for an antidepressant. I even take amitriptyline at night for nerve pain and also it is an anti depressant. When you're going through a difficult break up or chronic pain it can bring on a chemical imbalance in the brain. Only antidepressants can help that for most people, I would encourage you to speak with a Dr. I understand how hard it is every day feeling in pain, financial trouble, a break up. Know that those are things that have occured in your life and you're not those things but a little a part of you. But you're still a unique individual and have a right to be here. "Deserada"
    I hope you're feeling better just to vent and journal your feelings. Take care. Charry
  • i thought it was used to treat epilipsy, that i can understand as it is nerve connected also i didnt know that it was used for diabetics.
    not that it bothers me if it kills the pain hey its well worth a go!!!!

LOVE P
  • Lyrica is a nerve stabilizer. The maximum dosage is 300mg per day. I am taking 150mg twice a day. It is not a diabetic medication, meaning it doesn't bring down blood sugar. This medicine is given to diabetic patients only when they have nerve damage caused by diabetes.

If you want to stop Lyrica, you have to tapper it down. I tried to stop cold turkey, and I went through a withdrawal. So, please be careful with that.

zach
  • Lyrica is an anti-epileptic drug, also called an anticonvulsant. It works by slowing down impulses in the brain that cause seizures. Lyrica also affects chemicals in the brain that send pain signals across the nervous system.

Lyrica is used to control seizures and to treat fibromyalgia. It is also used to treat pain caused by nerve damage in people with diabetes (diabetic neuropathy) or herpes zoster (post-herpetic neuralgia).

Lyrica may also be used for other purposes,or off label as we sometimes call it..uses other than it's intended purpose.

Here are some things I saw that it is being used for:

*Generalized Anxiety Disorder

*Migraine Prevention

*Persisting Pain -- Shingles

*Fibromyalgia

*Diabetic Nerve Damage

*Pain

*Neuralgia

*Epilepsy

From Lyrica website**Do not stop using Lyrica suddenly without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely. Carry an ID card or wear a medical alert bracelet stating that you are taking Lyrica, in case of emergency.
  • i was reading the posts here a few weeks back and came across a new med called ZONEGRAN (GENERIC NAME IS ZONISAMIDE) ive done a lot of research into it and it sounds appealing!!! it apparently works the very same way as lyrica but........now you ready for this?????
    number one side effect is it helps to loose weight were lyrica gains weight!!!
    so im off to the docs before the week is out to see if i can try it as i have gained so so much weight with lyrica but at the same time there is no way i could do with out it.
    well i think its worth a try so ill let ye all know what happens when i finally get my butt off to the docs.

good luck to all off you!!!!

LOVE P
  • I'm not sure if the concentration problems ever go away. You sure put it right when you say that you cannot find the right words, I find myself searching for the right words all the time. I used to be fairly articulate but find that is not so easy any more. When people ask me questions, I usually have to think about my answer before saying anything. Sometimes the delay when answering is noticeable and I get strange looks. I do call Lyrica my stupidity pills.

In spite of my lowered mental capacity, I still would not want to stop taking Lyrica. The relief I get in my leg is worth a thousand times more than any thinking ability!
  • i felt alot more relief after taking lyrica,its important you get the right dose for your level of pain,iam on 300mg day and night.i havent experienced being sleepy i am the opposite.

the memory is an issue i used love a game of scrabble but i forget how to spell words and concentrating on the game.

good luck everyone
    karen
  • sadly, the neurontin, rather than lyrica, works well for pain. but i cannot work anymore and all i know how to do is write and work as an editor and i can't do this anymore.
    i can't even read. i lost one of my clients and told the others that i am sick.

i'm on ssi and living with toxic parents and i need to get functional enough to get a job as i need to get out. my therapist thinks i'll end up commiting suicide if i stay.

but the pain is so bad now that i've cut back on the opiates.

i was doing great on the same doage of opiate medications for 3 years. i wish i could find a doctor to just put me back on the same meds or even methadone.

i'm on amytriptaline and have been for 8 years as well, and on klonopin for post-traumatic stress disorder.

in 2005- 2006, i tried almomst every anti-depressant on the market, inclduing cymbalta and effesor.

the neurologist was a friend and he decided that i am allergic to ssri's after i tried to commit suicide when on cymbalta. getting off cymbalta took me 6 months and i had friends for support then and was living somewhere that i loved.

now i have no support and am losing my mind so i don't knwo what to do.

i told my therapist that my choice is to either have unbearale pain that makes me unable to think or be on neurontin/lyrica which makes me unable to function.

the longer i'm on the neurton/lyrica the more depressed i am.

so i'm lost.

and i'm too afraid to tell my new pain mgt. doctor as he wants me off opiates completely and i don't want to lose him as i want my epidural.

i'm just hoping i can hang in until i get the epidural and that it works so i won't need the meds.

i don't think i've been diagnosed properly either. i think i have a few things wrong. my hips are crooked and my upper torso. i also think i have shingles.

i keep asking for a regular x-ray but the doc said the mri is better and won't take it.

i'm afraid if i go to the ER, my pain mgt. doctor will drop me as a patient and then i don't get my epidural. he was already mad because i had gone to 6 pain mgt. doctors and was declined as a patient by all of them.

when i filled out the form that asked if i had been 'treated' by any other pain mgt. doctors, i checked no. i then mentioned one of the doctors that turned me down and my new doc got very angry.

i told him that i had been to several docs, but i didn't write it down because i wasn't 'treated', i was declined as a patient. two of them actually yelled at me about not wanting to lose their license as there was a huge front page scandal when i moved back about docs prescribing narcotics and xanex.

the doc that was on the front page of newspaper 4 times was my pcp.

my new pain doc told me that many doctors won't take medicaid patients too. he said that he'd been talking to me for 21 minutes and will get paid only 40 dollars for it.

not a very nice thing to say, but i cant help it that i'm poor and that i can't function and get on decent insurance anymore due to pain.

but the bottom line is that i am terrified of losing the only pain mgt. doctor that will treat me in my area and don't want to make him think that i'm being uncooperative by complaining about side effects.

i already complained about the neurontin as i broke out in boils and he put me on lyrica. i told him that another medications he prescribed--a nsaid- i couldn't take as nsaids make me throw up unless i take 1/4 bottle of pepto bismal with them.

so i don't dare complain again.

i'm lost here. i hate the newspaper writer for making all the doctors in this city frightened to death to treat pain patients.

i even called the writer and told him. putting a doctor on teh front page 4 times made every doc in this city nervous. teh investigation was done by the newspapers, not the medical board, and now this doctor, who was my pcp lost his license and his entire practice.

i told the newspaper guy that he was hurting people with realpain by writing his articles but he didn't seem to care.

i want to get functional enough so i can move and i don't know how to do that now.

i was doing so well on my medications that i was on for 3 years. i need to work. i have no one to support me.

love,
    me
  • Well always remember you've got a huge support base here at spine-health. You have my utmost empathy, I have worked for 20 years in public safety. I can't be a firefighter right now and I have told every doctor involved in my treatment that my goal is to be able to do this again. I was a 911 dispatcher for 13 years and would not do that now, being able to answer 911 calls and dispatch police and fire units at the same time does require a bit of clear thinking. I have not done that for 4 years now. I do work now that supports the nation's 911 system so I am still involved but it is not the same. Since I was a medic, I already had some medical training, purely from an emergency management perspective, but that has allowed me to understand more what the doctors are thinking and I can talk to them a little closer to their level.

So my frustration comes from two sources. First, treatments that we are optimistic about are not working. Second, and much more difficult for me to deal with, is the inability to don my fire gear, climb on a truck and do something that I truly love to do: firefighting. I'm lucky to have a lot of folks in my family and work that encourage me all the time, even though I am really quite frustrated.

I hope your epidural works for you, please keep us posted on your progress!
    Jay
  • but I do believe this said somewhere in the fine print that if you are allergic to Sulfa drugs do not use. So I couldn't use it. Boo Hoo. I could use that weight loss part. Lyrica has done a number on me.
    Good luck. I hope it works well for you.
    Julie
  • I take Lyrica 225 mg twice a day, some dry mouth but the pain relief is amazing, I was taking 2700 mg of Neurontin felt like a zombie, I would recommend this to anyone, just keep some water by the bed at night for the dry mouth.

Life is good.
  • Thanks to all who responded to my question. Wow, so many well intentioned responses from this community. The Lyrica is helping with the numbness (pretty much gone!) and right calve muscle. The left thigh muscle a different story. Been walking with a terrible Trendelenburg Gait for a long time overcompensating for worn out knees. Personally for me ANY relief is welcomed and well worth the money.

Robin thanks for the PM, you're a sweetheart! Beware of all of the promises many of the pharmaceutical companies make with their medications marketed as "wonder drugs", though. I got called and labeled some pretty obscene things other than just a liar over the Cymbalta fiasco and chronic pain promises. Looks like the face with egg on it, is not mine. They are having to re-submit their application to the FDA for it's use by CP patients and benefits they were supposedly receiving. I knew it was BS all along for me and my specific type of pain. Case studies prove it's the PERFECT medication for severe OA and DDD, NOT for me. I didn't even get a placebo effect from their COSTLY medication!

Gabriella, hang in there tell the truth and you are destined to find relief. I couldn't find what you were diagnosed with? You HAVE to be frank and upfront, sometimes it feels like torture and that's when it's time to find a different doctor who truly believes in you. Yes it's doctor shopping, ONE at a time. Please, please ANYTIME you need to talk PM me
  • I don't believe in any such thing as a wonder drug..and until they find a cure for cancer and/or HIV/AIDS I doubt that I will have a whole lot of faith in the pharmaceutical companies as a whole.I feel that for the most part they( pharmaceutical companies)are in it for the money at the expense of the sick and suffering.

There are a few exceptions of course and we do have polio vaccines,antibiotics,rabies shots,snake bite anti venom and many many more just to name a few,but as I said,'for the most part' I feel that 'they' take advantage,lie,manipulate,and even cause harm to the very people that they claim to say they want to help..and almost all because of greed.But don't even get me started on that topic-lol.

QUESTION:Is it considered Dr shopping if you are in search of a good Dr.,but NOT recieving medication from any other than your primary care? In other words,can a person not go looking for a good Dr (as many as they wish) as long as they do not accept meds.-tell each Dr that you have a PCP,but are in search of another,and you are not there to accept medication,but to ask the Dr if he/she might be better at treating you before you leave the PCP you are currently with?

..because I thought Dr shopping was going to different Drs with the specific intention of getting medications from them~which we know is illegal,but I doubt it if looking for a good Dr is illegal as long as you are not accepting meds from them.Am I wrong? If so,that is whacked-lol.
  • Those were comments from actual users of Lyrica,not the Lyrica website itself.

I read a few comments from people who didn't like the lyrica for different reasons and many complained of weight gain,some a LOT of weight gain,memory issues,and such.I doubt it if the Lyrica people themselves would have said much of what was said.
  • I started taking Lyrica a little over a week ago. I have suffered from chronic pain following L4, L5, S1 fusion. I have tried just about every pain med on the market. Nothing worked. I was becoming very depressed and angry from all the constant pain. Well, I think Lyrica is the medication for me! I noticed a reduction in pain after only a few days. I also started sleeping through the night. I haven't noticed a lack of concentration. I do feel a little foggy at times, but it sure beats how I felt when I was in constant pain. My family said that I am becoming my old self, and I feel like it too. I am taking 50mg 3x a day. I was a little hesitant to try it however I'm sure glad I did. I haven't noticed an increase in hunger. Actually, it's been almost opposite for me. Is there anyone else out there that feels like a new person after taking this medication? <:P
    Ann

L4, L5, S1 fusion with lift and instrumentation April 2007, L4 failed,laminectomy April 2008

advertisement