Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Suggestions? 9 weeks post op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello!
I am now 9 weeks post revision feel better. My tablets work about 50% of the time which is a lot better than before.
<:P

My range of movement has improved subtly but I am still heavily reliant on my medication. I know when it is due alright. Sometimes I am upping my doses but not like before.
I still have numb, heaviness in legs and some spasms and back pain.

My capabilities are low. If I push out to do anything I get a bout of pain again so I am restricted to limited (nil) activity.Sitting 15 mins, standing I hate, walking about 15 mins. Lifting - not much.

So what you think? Mentally I am very well. I've been given steriods (The facial hair is the give a way!)and wonder where I'll be when they wear off. I think I have a good attitude. I know alot has to do with attitude and expectations but I am not sure what to think now. I have nerve irritation going on and not sure if it is good or bad!

I was swimming - lovely but feel the dressing / undressing too much is not good.

I don't feel able to cope with work yet. Until I can get through a normalish day at home without aggravating my pain.

Stability wise - I feel better on that front - no more urges to bind myself up with plaster and tape!!

Comments really appreciated. Thanks.
It is a lonely road sometimes and your shared experiences really help me put things in perspective.

advertisement

Comments

• Hey,

How can this be a lonely road with all of us, thousands and thousands of fellow travelers? But I know what you mean, sometimes it seems that way when some people don't understand what you are dealing with. But that is why your Spiney friends are here. So let us know if you feel down, or of you need encouragement.

So far your surgery appears to have brought you some relief from pain. That is good, even 50% is a great improvement. You are not even two months post-op, so naturally you still have to deal with some issues. As far as work, how much longer do you think you have before returning? At this point, every week could bring improvements. Hope you will be able to stay at home until you are truly ready for work.

Just take very good care of yourself!

Kin
  • you're feeling a little better. We give thanks for what we have, right? I know what you mean by saying it's a lonely road. The people around us, including most of our family members, can in no way relate to the pain we are going through. At least that's the way it is for me. They don't understand why I still complain, after all, it's been 5 months! I hope they never have the occasion to find out. Thank the Good Lord for the great people here! :D :D
  • i totally agree with you about family not understanding..just this morning I was moaning a bit and quietly stated I need to take something...the look on my husband's face completely gave away his thoughts..which made me think "what would he be like if he went through this"..like you I hope he never has to know, but that doesn't make it easier for me
    Donna
  • I haven't had surgery yet but know how limited you are. When you go swimming wear your suit there under clothes and then you only have to get dressed with a jogging suit or something simple to put on after. Then it's not so strenuous. That's great you're getting out to swimming. There's no rush to get back to work yet is there? And when you go back to work will you be able to go for a swim after? I totally agree with above we're with you so hope you don't still feel so lonely. Take care and feel better! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • We all know how frustrating and exhausting it is to live with pain and we empathize with you. But just take it easy, do what you can without too much pain and give your body the care and rest it needs to heal.
  • you are doing really well. At 9 weeks it sounds as if you are getting along nicely with 'doing normal" stuff like around the house.
    Dont expect too much too soon and i wouldn't even be thinking of work just yet.
    Charry is right about the swimming, take some easy to slip on clothes to put on after or even a bath robe to put on top of your cossie. Then you can just shower at home and have a rest.

The biggest thing as you now is the mental thing and from what you have said it shows you have a great attitude :) and that is great!
    Keep up the good work!
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • one of our gals here said her doc's nurse had the L4-S1 fusion and didn't even think of going back to work until 10 months and even then, it was rough.
    I am at 6 months and am experiencing the same frustarations though, if I look back, I have made progress, it is just so slow that we tend not to see it. I literally go from the bakery to the meat market to the bread shop to gather just a few staples. i can only carry 2 lbs, maybe 3lbs....not much when you're getting food. So I have learned to go to one store and then another. I have even gone so far as to go to one grocery store to buy a loaf of bread and baby carrots, drive 2 miles to another grocery store to get cinnamon rolls and a head of lettuce.
    At 9 weeks, you are on target, just keep going and try to keep your mind on anything else you can.
    Oh and the family thing,....I am sooo with you. My mother just swears I am going to be a 'druggie' from all this pain med. and I'm setting a bad example for my kids. Good heavens, why can't they understand the pain we experience??
  • that is the word I was racking my brains for.
    Like Carol I was wanting to say you seem to be right on target but I think my meds got in the way =))
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • Thank you all - your kind words are so lovely! >:D<

My family have been so good but I find the "ugly" pain the lonely Road. People simply just do not understand. I have given up trying to explain and now say "I'm good" whatever I am. My partner knows if I am quiet, I am in trouble!

Very pleased to heaou think it is all on target. I think, slowly there are good changes, at last.
    I think a part of me is scared to see them tho cos I have been thro the mill a bit and a bit unlucky.

I had friends around the other day to visit. One kept tapping my numb leg - thought i was really funny because it was "numb" but despit asking her to stop, she carried on. My numb leg is a borderline numb / hypersensative pins and needles and she set it off, vibrating, I was so MAD X(
    I found it all too much and just wanted them to leave! How horrid is that! My back went into spasm and that was that!
    The pure lack of understanding and regards my limits was jut boring. I have to live like this, every day and I am so pleased with small and simple things. Listening to them all chattering about normal life stuff got me down. I can't go Xmas shopping, carry bags, go ice skating, go to cinema!

X( X( Why are people just so ****!!! - ignorant!

Ok vent over. Back to putting my energy into helping the folk on here. My sanity place. :D

Charry, thanks for the suggestions around the swimming. I'll try that.

Thanks Buds.

advertisement