Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Annular Tear

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone..
I'm not sure if I have posted this in the right area..so my apologies ahead of time if I have put this in the wrong place.

My question..what exactly is an annular tear. After two surgeries for disc herniations at L5, latest MRI is showing an annular tear at L4 and protrusions at L3, L4. If anyone can explain what an annular tear is, or if you have experienced one, I would greatly appreciate it! ;) Thanks!

advertisement

Comments

• I had an annular tare. The annulus is the outer part of your disc. When it is torn it allows the gel like substance inside to protrude out and often put pressure on a nerve. Mine was at L3/L4 and caused a great deal of pain. For a better understanding, you may want to click on conditions at the top of this page. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • :H Thank you! Maybe that is the reason I am having nasty back and leg pain? :? I go to see my OS on Monday, so I hope I can find out more. Take care and I will check out the information on the site.

• Dont know what angular tear feels like, all i know is i had a laminectomy and my angular was removed due to two herniated disk. I could imagine it must be painfull because i am still in horific pain and just had surgery a month ago. The recovery looks like it's gonna be long for me or another surgery. It's just like the doctors say before surgery. Surgery is not to fix your back it is too make your pain more comfortable. Iv'e learn to accept that this is never gonna be the same but I want to hurry up and see what is the final evaluation so i can deal with this already. It is fustrating and will make you become another person that you really are not. The doctors just see you and write you off with onother prescription or opinion on what you should do to be more comfortable. It really does not work, the real answer is learning how to deal with our disability. Write back just venting is what we can do and relate, it feels much better......
  • I learned alot from this site http://www.chirogeek.com/ it was very informative. I have an annular tear. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.