Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nearly 2 years post op /si joint pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hiya i used to post on the old site i had a plif done in feb 2007 on l4 l5 ls1 and ever since my back has been sore .It regularly flares up i have had 2 si joint injections to ease the pain but it has only lasted a few hours and maybe that was still from the effects of the anethstetic.I regularly get pain in the hips mainly the left one ,also my sacrum gets very sore .My left hip feels locked at times so i am not sure if this is si joint problem or not,i have informed my PT of this problem but he keeps on saying just do the exercises and it will go but it hasn't.The exercise i do involves me laying on my back with knees bent i then lift one foot across to the opposite knee and push the other knee out to stretch(if you catch my drift),my right knee pushes right out with no ill affect but my left is locked and painful when i push it out,the pain goes right into the butt area .I have heard people mention nerve blocks what are they can someone shed any light on it for me please,sorry for the waffle its hard to explain at times.
advertisement

Comments

• I, too, have left hip pain - and it sometimes sort of catches or locks up. Mine started before surgery and has continued - though not nearly as bad afterwards. It gets tighter and tighter as I walk and I finally have to stop and stretch it out by pulling my left foot up behind me. I know when I have walked 14 minutes because that is when my hip starts to get tight. (But before surgery it was after about 2 minutes, so this is better). I have had radiofrequency neurotomy and injections pre-surgery which helped a little. What helped most was Pilates. I did private sessions with a pilates instructor who specialized in rehab and we worked specifically on low back and hip issues. Since surgery, ultrasound (from my PT) has helped the most. I do the stretching exercise you mentionned but have to be careful to not be too aggressive with it - I do it at the end of my pool therapy so the joint is well warmed up and it does seem to help a little. I have been told it is hip flexors, piriformis and psoas - clearly, no one really knows.
    The other thing that really causes my hip to tighten up and hurt is sitting too long. Especially in the car! That will aggravate it for days making it harder to walk, climb stairs, etc.

Anyway, whatever this is I would love to hear what others have done for it. Thanks for starting this thread!
  • hiya megb ,mine also flares up when i sit too long,so its best if you walk around every 20-30 mins.
    My hip doesn't tighten up and i am fine when i walk its just when i lay on my front or side that the hips start hurting or sitting too long.I go to the gym weekly and when i am stretching i cant stretch the left leg when i am doing the exercise i stated above.
  • i am so glad you started this thread. I am going through this big time right now. I had it before my first surgery, I flew out of the gate after surgery, then around six months post op, it got really bad. Here I am with my second surgery, 6 months post op and the same thing. Last time PT really worked on loosening my hip capsule and doing the stretches listed above. She also said my sacrum and L5 fusion had rotated a bit and did an adjustment on it.....shortly after my L4 herniated worse and required surgery. I had advanced to the exercise bike( not recumbant) and the OS thinks that helped push me over the edge with the L4. However, I am interested to know if anyone has had their hip capsule loosened and manual treatment of their L5 & sacrum. Was it successful. It sure helped alleviated my pain the first time, but I'm scared to try it again....anxious to hear input from others.