Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone out there with voice issues after ACDF?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had C6-7 ACDF in July and woke up with a paralyzed vocal cord. It has still not recovered and I am having an injection in the paralyzed cord next week to "bulk up" the cord so it will work better with the other cord. Hopefully this will improve my voice and help some of the other issues that come with the paralysis. I am interested in other people's experiences with voice problems after surgery and how long they lasted. Also has anyone else had injection? Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• I just wanted to bump your post up a bit. Didn't have your type of surgery, but I'm sure someone will come shortly to answer your questions. Must be frustrating, to say the least, not being able to talk well.
  • My husband also had an ACDF in July. I don't think his vocal chord is paralyzed, but it has been traumatized. He has a lot of mucus and his voice can sound hoarse at times.

Most of what I know about this is related to thyroid cancer surgery. Both surgeries could damage the vocal chords. I do know that if the injections don't work, people have had teflon implants. You can also have speech therapy, which can help. At any rate, all of this takes time---even up to a year.

If you have anymore questions, you can PM me....my sister in law is a speech pathologist who is experiences in this.

Linda MI