Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Are My Fears Justified

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm a 20 yr old male soon to be 21. I got an MRI for bad back pain, diagnosed by my neurologist and orthopedist as a slight Disc Herniation in L4-L5

For a bit over a month now I have had most of my pain in the front of me knee. Not on the knee cap, but mostly right above it. Some burning sensation at times and it used to be worse than it is now, but still hurts. I used to have typical HD, pain such as numbness, tingling, pain radiating down the leg but never so much on the knee.

I got a nerve test from the neuro, everything came back fine. I got physical therapy through the orthopedist so I have been doing that. He also gave me an x-ray on the knee that hurts (my left) gave it a quick look and said it looked ok.

Through all of this I still feel something worse. My biggest fear is bone cancer. Pain in the knee, I constantly check for any swelling they say may occur with it. I have no other symptoms of it that I know of such as fever, chills, night sweats, pain waking me up. But this pain in my knee still makes me feel it may be something like that. I don't know how much would show up on an x-ray but the ortho said it was ok...But I somehow feel if this pain keeps up I should go to a different ortho and ask for another x-ray.

Are any of these fears justified or am I just a worrier?
advertisement

Comments

• From what I have read, herniation of a disk can cause sciatica which is sometimes felt in the knee. I'm no doctor, but my guess would be that it is related to nerve pain from an impinged nerve. I'm 5 months post-op for lumbar fusion, and have just recently started having pain in my knee. First it was like just above the knee cap, and now it hurts more in the back and on the side of the knee. Don't know if this helps you any. Have you tried putting an ice pack on it? I find if I prop my knees up while in bed, it helps a lot. >:D< >:D<
  • I am not a doc but would think that if you had anything like bone cancer going on something on that xray would clue the doc in on this. My sciatica moved from the back of my thigh down to the knee to the front of my thigh down to my knee. I would guess that the knee pain has to do with the back. Do you have a family history of cancer?
  • I have sciatica to my foot from my herniated disc. Of course everyone is different. It couldn't hurt if you got a second opinion like you said and more tests. Take care and wish you the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Harmon,
    The key thing is to make your diagnosis on what is known and the evidence, rather than what you think it could or might be, we all worry to some extent and part of this is getting the right diagnosis and moving forward from known results. If you dispute the finding of your examination you could get another opinion and you are looking for the right diagnosis, not necessarily the one that you agree with.

What evidence do you have to support your theory, you final comment gives some indication to what you think and it is natural to be concerned but to expand that to something that is not supported by your own evidence. If you continue to look for some thing that it is not, that in itself will make you ill, do not let these fears rule you, you are young and dealing with reality is very hard and keep asking so you are content and accepting of your future.

Take care John
  • Back problems can change the way you walk -- your gait. Walking differently could very easily cause your knee pain. Talk to your physical therapist -- ask him to evaluate your gait.
  • a dermatome chart and see where your knee pain is sometimes it helps to compare. I'm no doc either but L4, which you will see, does run some knee area...keep in mind this kind of chart is baseline! nerves tend to intertwine and crossover areas all different to most people. Talk to your doc about your concerns & take it easy
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.