Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Are My Fears Justified??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
I'm a 20 yr old male soon to be 21. I got an MRI for bad back pain, diagnosed by my neurologist and orthopedist as a slight Disc Herniation in L4-L5

For a bit over a month now I have had most of my pain in the front of me knee. Not on the knee cap, but mostly right above it. Some burning sensation at times and it used to be worse than it is now, but still hurts. I used to have typical HD, pain such as numbness, tingling, pain radiating down the leg but never so much on the knee.

I got a nerve test from the neuro, everything came back fine. I got physical therapy through the orthopedist so I have been doing that. He also gave me an x-ray on the knee that hurts (my left) gave it a quick look and said it looked ok.

Through all of this I still feel something worse. My biggest fear is bone cancer. Pain in the knee, I constantly check for any swelling they say may occur with it. I have no other symptoms of it that I know of such as fever, chills, night sweats, pain waking me up. But this pain in my knee still makes me feel it may be something like that. I don't know how much would show up on an x-ray but the ortho said it was ok...But I somehow feel if this pain keeps up I should go to a different ortho and ask for another x-ray.

Are any of these fears justified or am I just a worrier?
advertisement

Comments

• :) i see you are new and i want to welcome you to the forum. :H it is not unusual to think of cancer when certain aches and pains come up. :? perhaps if you speak of this fear directly to your doctor he can address it better. :-C this may mean another x-ray, another test or perhaps information he has he can talk to you about. anyway, it is best to let him know what you are feeling and fearing. he cannot help you if you don't. if you do this and he does not satisify your concerns then by all means see another doctor. take heed of what your doctor is telling you though. :T you have enough going on without running around chasing something which isn't there. Jenny :)
  • Please don't think the worst. You will be pulling your hair out at the end of every day if you do that. Self diagnosing is not a good idea. Find a doctor that you are comfortable with and is willing to believe that your pain is real. It has to be coming from something but it doesn't mean something as serious as cancer. I saw the tests that you've had but I didn't seee MRI or CT. Have they not done at least an MRI. Tissue issues don't show up on an X Ray. Just wondering.
  • hey i also suffer with pain in my knees but latly iv bin gettin a pain in my leg that makes it feel as if its in the bone maby u should ask for a mri instead iv just had mine and waitin for results they show up alot more than a xray if its worryin u that much jus keep buggin um lol hope u feel betta soon
  • I never used to have the knee pain before. I swear that it has to be due to my back :? .

My husband also has severe nerve pain, and his knees swell. They did a xray and they look fine. I truely do think it has to do with our backs!!!!!!!! [( [(
  • Just last week my knee was so painful that I couldn't even put any weight on it for two days. My back quit hurting while my knee was hurting so at least I was getting some relief from at least one part of my body. After two days it mysteriously disappeared. Then haglandc told me about a dermatome chart. I had no idea what I was looking at at first then I got it. Have you ever followed your knee pain up the chart. I can almost guess at what my doctor is going to say about my lower back when I see him Wed. to review my lower back MRI. I spent 2 days trying to figure out if I did something to it. I knew I hadn't injured it. It wasn't red it wasn't swollen. Then after C. told me about the chart I followed my pain right up to L2-L3. And geez Louise I just had ACDF surgery for goodness sake. Not sure I want to hear that I have back problems now too. I thought maybe my lower back was because of my neck until my toes started to tingle and made me say "Oh crap!" Have you followed your pain? Try it and let me know. Harmon you could do it too if you're still having the numbness and tingling symptoms too.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.