Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In agony!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey, Everyone--

First of all, I have to say how much help "stumbling" upon this site has provided to me! It is such a relief to know I am not alone in this craziness of spinal pain/surgery

I thought I was doing so well at almost 10 weeks post op. Now I am in AGONY every morning when I wake up and sometimes other times as well. It hurts terribly in my right butt cheek and I have to lie on the floor and try to do my PT exercises to work it out, as that is the only thing I can think to do to help it. I didn't think it would ever stop hurting this morning. I also cannot walk without excruciating pain in the area where it hurt prior to the surgery. I cannot even make it 1/4 of a mile. I can also feel something moving in my back....not at the incision site, but about 3" to the side in my hip area...it is like when I massage it there, something "clicks" and moves slightly. Is this normal???????????

I am going to call the OS on Monday & hopefully get an appointment earlier than my scheduled Dec. 10 appointment. I don't think I will be going back to work on Dec. 16 as originally planned...

advertisement

Comments

• Hi and Welcome to Spine Health. I think its a great idea to call first thing Monday, however if the pain gets out of control, don't hesitate to go to the ER and have them help get it back under control.

"C"
  • still taking any pain meds or do you still have some spare?

It sounds like it is one of the ups and downs so many of us go through ut I would also be checking for an earlier appointment.

You seem to be doing the right thing with the exercises. I know I used to have to start them in bed or I couldn't get up.

Hope things inprove for you soon and let us know what happens.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • Does the pain go away/lessen as the days goes on? If so, could you have changed something about the way you are sleeping? Or have you changed something you are doing in PT causing you to tighten up during the night - thus causing pain?
  • Sorry, that should be "as the day (not days) goes on".
  • Definitely call the surgeon on Monday. If it's worse over the weekend, does your doctor have an after hours number you can call? Or I'd recommend going to the ER.

I hope you feel better soon and can get back to teaching. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Pain does usually get better as the day progresses, at least the pain in my butt cheek. The pain with walking usually gets worse. At times I feel like a little old lady, shuffling along with my baby steps!

I am presently taking Percocet, Soma, Celebrex, and Neurontin. Though the OS wants me to get off the Percocet & Soma. I get the feeling he thinks I should be much better by now. However, obviously I'm not & the burning pain from C6 just makes it worse!

advertisement