Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Headache alternatives

anjuanaanjuan Posts: 236
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all-

Well, only 4 days until surgery so I am under the med restrictions and can't take my usual alieve for headaches. I know that I will also have this restriction after the fusion. What are alternatives that some of you take for headaches? By the way, acetaminaphine does nothing for me. I am worried about how I am going to handle this. :SS Thanks for your help!

Julie
advertisement

Comments

• I can relate to your problem because I am a headache sufferer also. Do you have migraines or tension headaches? Since mine are mostly migraines or migraine-like, I take something called Midrin-A, that was OK to take because it does not have either aspirin or ibuprofen. The generic form is OK too. Vicoden (1/2 tablet most often is enough) is also OK. Hope that helps.

Good luck, hope you get rid of that nasty headache!

Kin

• I too take Midrin. I take two at the beginning of my headache and one an hour until it subsides. I usually don't need a fourth. If your headaches are that bad you might talk to your doctor about something like that.
  • I used to get migraines and the best thing I found for them was one of those rice-filled thingies that you put in the microwave to heat up. Even narcotics didn't help with mine. You might try the things I mentioned (cannot remember what they're called) and you can get them in a small version that just fits over your forehead.
  • - Magnesium supplement
    - lavender essential oil rubbed into temples
    - antiflam or amber cream rubbed in to neck and jaw and upper traps find trigger points by pushing slow and hardish and hold them for a few min (ease off the pressure if thay make you feel sickish these ones are very sensitive points)
  • is really great for regular headaches, though for migraines it usually doesn't hold up.
    Dont use it though if you have low blood pressure as it lowers it further.
    It is a vasoconstrictor so widens the arteries and veins in your head (that is why you put it on the temple) and allows the blood to flow through and lessen a headaches. Also helps with sinus headaches.
    If your headache is from tight muscles in your neck then a good natural remedy is a simple heatpack and a very gentle massage.

Hope you find something that helps you
    Blessings Sara O:) (qualified aromatherapist)
advertisement