Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

soma

jjj Posts: 150
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
When I was at my pain management appt this last month we were discussing muscle relaxers. I had been on soma for over 2+ years and changed to baclofen. Anyway's she informed me that Soma will soon be taken off market. She told me a few reasons why, the main reason being the issue of addiction. She felt that no reason to go back on to only have to come off again.

Has anyone else heard this. I have not look to much into it as we decided to stay with baclofen and just increase how many time a day I can take.

So question is has anyone else heard about this???
J
advertisement

Comments

• It hasnt been taken off the market in the usa,only in europe....
  • I heard the same from my PCP she wrote me a few scripts to make sure i had some on hand. I use soma for the real bad muscle spasams. My Dr that did my last surgery would not prescribe the med regardless of the situation and said they stopped years ago. Also a few member in chat here at spine haelth have said they heard the same.

I have also alternated my muscle relaxers every 4 month to make sure I don't build a tolerance to them. Zanaflex is a great med and i have alot of relief from it. J I hope you find relief in what your taking and if not that you find the right meds to help you.

Take care,
    Paula
  • docs are insane for wanting to take it off market. Just look at a short list of possible side effects of baclofen (incontinence, seizures, urinary retention, liver problems, death) and soma (dizziness, nausea) and how the hell are we rationalizing getting rid of soma? That med works wonders for me and pain. I keep saying this... baclofen is being used in several trials, and with success, to get people off of cocaine, heroin, alcohol, and other addictive substances. PMs are VERY happy to RX is with your pain meds cause maybe they think it will help you not be abusive or get addictive, or maybe the FDA is pushing them to do it, or they are just afraid of the FDA and that's why. Either way, Soma is a super valuable drug, just as is methadone, and getting rid of it would be a shame for humanity.

Off my soapbox.

Happy holidays, and back to work if you're lucky enough to have a job!

Cheers, JWM