Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Complications from Lumber Laminectomy! Help Please!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:H Hello! I just joined the site tonight and hope that someone in here might have an answer as to what may be going on with me!

2 1/2 years ago I was ran over by an SUV in a Mall Parking Lot. The MRI showed nothing but I was in extreme pain and had problems walking. Saw Orthopedic and he said soft tissue injury. So I tried to deal with the pain in hopes I would heal up.

Then I got fed up and went to see a back surgeon. They did a CT Mylegram and found 3 compressed disk in my lower spine and did a Lumber Laminectomy. Surgery went well and I was up and walking the next day. In fact I was doing really swell for 2 weeks. The 3rd week I got severly tired and then suddenly I had a massive attack on my nervous system.

Every single nerve in my body was burning like fire. Painful and then I could not sleep. Tremors, muscle twitching and I stayed sickly all summer long. I have a history of Lupus with neuropathy and saw 3 different doctors and none of them seemed to know what was going on.

Finally after 7 months from that surgery I am beginning to finally feel a little bit better but I have noticed now that on the one side where I had sciatic nerve pain and the same leg that I was having trouble using and walking with now feels like I have a turnoqet wrapped around my leg or a rubber band feeling around my leg.

Left leg also feels dead. No feeling in my left leg. And when I walk now my left knee just buckles on me and I almost fall.
Saw a lousy neurologist that did MRI of the brain but no MRI of the lower spine. I hate the feeling and I think this surgery somehow got botched meaning it either failed or something happened after my surgery and now nobody seems to want to check me out for it!
For some reason, I now have permanent nerve damage on my left side that is getting worse. Has anybody ever had complications after having a lumber laminectomy of the lower spine?
If a doctor does not do something to me soon, I am going to end up in a wheel chair. I see it happening and am scared to death. Don't know if the doctor scraped off too much of the Mylen Sheath of my spine causing a severe problem or not but I have done nothing but suffer ever since that surgery. Suffered 2 years before the surgery with pain and trouble walking and now I am still suffering.
Anybody know what could cause this problem as to what may have happened to me?
It's a pleasure meeting everyone and I look forward to meeting you all in here!
Thanks for any advice you can give me!
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health. I have had two complete laminectomies at L4 and L5 and although I had complications, it was nothing as to what you have described. I wish I knew something that would give you a direction to look. Other than saying keep looking for neurosurgeon who will evaluate your spine. Be your own advocate and don't give up!

"C"
  • Hi Hagland! Thank you for responding. I think I will keep trying to see a Neurosurgeon and have them recheck me out. Strange but my back surgeon after he saw me referred me to a Neuro. And then it was like he didn't really want to get involved with me. Heard him talking to the back surgeon. Almost like they want to cover up his mistake. I think that is why they are taking time not doing anything because the doctor may have messed me up.
    It sure has been slow healing for me. And the lack of sleep is killing me! Thanks for responding! Maybe one day I will find out what happened to me. Pretty scary stuff! Nice meeting you! :)
  • There are docs out there who still have the guts to take on cases that may have gone wrong with other docs. It's hard to find them sometimes. When my original surgeon left the island, the replacement wouldn't touch me because everyone knew I still had a CSF leak. I finally contacted my original surgeon and flew to the US and he took care of me.

Is anyone helping you with the lack of sleep issue? What kind of things are you trying? Can you at least sleep a few hours at a time?

Hang in there,

"C"
  • Did you call your surgeon to see what he does? Take care and hope you get the help you need. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • How did they know you still had a CSF leak?

Sounds nasty.

Catlover - i hope you et it sorted soon.
advertisement