Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycontin !!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
Hi,i have been having back problems since the begining of feb and taking loads of meds to try and take the pain away from my prolpse disk with 2 disk deteriation,it flared up again 2 weeks ago and got the really bad pain in my bum and legs back,went to the docs and she has put me on oxycontin instead of tramadol ! it has not worked yet and im seeing the doc on tuesdat for an update ! i am taking 10 mg twice aday at the moment and i mite ask to double the dose to see if it helps ! has anyone been in a similar situation ! i am also taking lyrica 2 x 75mg a day,naproxen 500mg twice a day,oramorph 5 ml 4 times a day,and amatriptaline 20 mg at bed time !! the doc wants me to double up on the lyrica as well,think im going to start that tonight ! hope someone has got some advice ? :|
advertisement

Comments

• Bobby,
    I know that you are in a hurry for some pain relief, but do NOT, under any circumstances increase your doses on your own, or increase the frequency of your doses without the permission of your doctor!
    I would also strongly suggest that you don't make a suggestion to your doctor about doubling your dose of anything, in particular pain meds, unless you want to find yourself with out pain management period.
    I don't know if this is your first experience with pain management or pain doctors, but things that they tend to watch for are patients who are self medicating, or are telling them what drugs to prescribe or how much of them to prescribe.
    I hope that your appointment brings you some relief, but do try to remember that it might take more than a few weeks to get to a dose that helps bring your pain levels to a tolerable level or to find the right pain med that is going to offer you that level of relief. Pain management is about learning to live with a certain amount of pain, and still being able to function as best we can. It is not a sprint but a marathon.
    Sandi
  • have you been on oxy 10mg? It takes a while to notice the effect. I am sorry you are hurting so much. Will your doctor do something besides giving you pain medication, because taking pain medication and increasing the dosage is not a solution. I was on lyrica, oxy 10mg, then very soon, increased to 20mg, 40mg, 60mg, and 80mg; then morphine, all these in less than a month. I did not get better, instead I felt really down and lousy, and it messed my head. Till my daughter woke me up one day, cried she wanted her father back. I stopped everything cold turkey, and bit through my pain. It was tough but I got well. From then on, I vowed to myself, never to take schedule I/II drugs again.

Anyway, my point is, it is good for meds to help us through our pain, but we don't really want to 'stop' feeling it because then we may 'hurt' ourselves more, both mentally and physically. When I did not feel pain, I was overworking my back. Everyone reacts to meds differently. The most important thing for you to do when you see your doc the next time, is to discussed the long term plan for your pain.

I wish you well.

zach
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,729
    I totally agree with the posts that members have made here.

- Do not suggest to the doctor that you want an increase in pain medications. Instead explain to them that your pain level has increased and for how long

- Oxycontin 10mg twice a day is adequate in relieving moderate pain. It is very effective in providing a total day of relief.

- Have you had a MRI? and if so what was the result and what is your doctor's action plan?

Also, please keep in mind, that pain medication itself is not going to provide you with total relief. Narcotic medications will help relieve some of your pain to make it more manageble.

The really control the entire situation, besides the medications you are taking, there are many treatments
    that have brought relief to many members.
    Those include:
    Physical Therapy
    Aqua Therapy
    Ultrasound
    Spinal Injections
    Acupuncture

It is always best to provide your doctor with all of your problems, pain levels, numbness, etc. This way the doctor can provide a plan to address that.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com