Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Week 47

stockbrokersstockbroker Posts: 464
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Hey, Sleepy heads. I guess I'll start the weigh-in this week. I'm happy to announce that I have lost 3.4 lbs. putting me at 164.2. These are freshly lost lbs. I might add, not previously lost ones like some of the others where I lose them, gain them back, lose them gain them back. I have had NO appetite. I'm quite sure it is due to the nerve pain drug I'm taking, the name of which is Zonisamide. It sure beats the poundage I packed on with Neurontin and Lyrica. Unfortunately, I did kind of push my incredibly delicious Thanksgiving dinner around on my plate. Susan.
advertisement

Comments

• stockbroker,guess you could nt wait to share your good news, I was abit late posting .well done on your weight loss

not a good week for me 2 pounds on,not happy,must try harder
  • :) stockbroker, you did it and feel confidant in your weight loss. that is such a good feeling. congratulations! =D> benji, oh no!! i guess the bread got the best of you. =)) this week will be better for you! i lost two pounds. i ate lots of fruits and vegies with walking twice on some days. alot of work for two pounds! it has taken me almost a month to take off the 4 or 5 pounds i gained in a week. it is not worth it at all to ignore my eating habits and exercise plan for a week. it was a good lesson and it won't happen again. Jenny :)
  • Lost another pound. Nine pounds to go, surgery in 7 weeks. I think that taking the hydrocodone, which has enabled me to walk, is definitely helping (whereas before I was just cutting calories, which I needed to do anyhow).

Stockbroker - good for you! I have not heard of Zonisamide, how is it working for you? I take Topamax for nerve pain, works well. Some BT pain. I take 300mg Neurontin before bed to help with the a.m. So are you taking anything else? Just curious, always wondering how others are managing pain.

benji - some weeks are good and some not, we've all been there. Gives you motivation for next week, don't get frustrated :< Is portions, or snacking, or emotional eating? Sometimes if you can pinpoint what the "weak spot" is it can help move forward (often for me its either afternoon snacking at work, or sweets after meals, I have to watch both!) We're here to support you >:D<
  • :) aimless, HURRAY on your weight loss. <:P adding walking to your food plan will make a big difference for you. atleast the vicodin is taking care of your pain level for now. =D> on to another good week! Jenny :)
  • u lot,guess its me that needs the pep talk,it really gets you down when you gain does nt it
  • I also take 8 mgs. of Dilaudid every 4 to 6 hours. I am extremely sensitive to drugs and instead of getting sleepy and blissed out like a normal person, pain meds make me nervous and even panicky. I've tried just about everything as it would make more sense to be on something long acting but--alas. That's why I'm hoping the stimulator is a go. But on really bad days, these drugs really don't do anything. I would say that since my pain began I'm actually eating less but my exercise has dropped from tennis 5 days a week 3 to 4 hours a day to occasional walks and when I do eat, it tends to be comfort food--a bad combo. I had never heard of this drug before either and I thought I had tried everything. It said on the package insert that it is also used for obesity. Maybe the doc was trying to tell me something. (Just kidding.) It was nice of him to consider the weight gaining (or losing) side effects, though. I do feel slightly nauseus so I don't need to exercise any will power not to eat. Thanks to you all for not letting me quit. Susan
  • Gratz to those of us who lost this past week. I too have lost, 2 pounds putting me at 233. Still another 30+ to go :<
  • I, too, discussed it with my doc and the possible weight loss side effect is one of the reasons we chose Topamax for nerve pain (certainly wasn't for the short-term memory loss). I've lost 14 lbs since I started taking it in July. I don't think I'll put that weight back on once I stop taking it, as its been "slow and steady" loss. So yes I think its a smart move when you can incorporate the two goals into one.

[And yes, for anyone keeping track, my original goal was 20 lbs, I've bumped it up to 23 lbs but if it doesn't all happen before the surgery, I won't beat myself up over it.]

Dilaudid is pretty powerful, I assume it doesn't affect your day to day functionality? Okay last question - what about taking an anxiety med to counteract the side effects? People take meds to counteract nausea, just a thought. Now that I have completely digressed. ;))

• I'm sure that beautiful canine of yours is keeping you honest in the exercise department too :)))
  • everyone has done so well,apart from me thats is
  • I forgot to weigh last week... The time just got away from me and I never caught up with it again!! My total weight loss for the three weeks that I have been a part of the group is 7!! I feel pretty good about it!
  • :) congratulations to all of you who lost last week. <:P it is so exciting to be part of a group of women trying hard to make a change in their lives. even when we don't get that desired weight loss each week, here we are still trying. we can all be proud of ourselves for that! =D> change is always with us and making a permanent change like weight loss takes patience, dedication and most of all persistence. here is to another week of change!! Jenny :)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.