Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 month post fusion in WI

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This week marked my 8th month post 3 level lumbar fusion with hardware. I am 54 years old. My son bought me a present to celebrate my recovery. Today for the first time in my life I went to the Green Bay Packer game at Lambeau Field, walked from the parking lot, up to my seat in the 50th row and sat in the bleachers for the entire game in about 32 degree weather. It began to snow late in the fourth quarter, so we left quickly back down the many steps and out to our car. Never in a million years would I have believed I could do this!!!! Certainly before my surgery I couldn't have. Last year at this time I couldn't even walk from my car on my drive way to my front door without stopping once or twice due to pain. I was not sure what to be more afraid of today...the long walk, long sitting time or the cold. I survivied all, and had one heck of a great time. The only thing missing was Brett Favre ~X( I felt human again. Whatever any of you do, never give up. Keep your eye on getting to the the good days, we will all have them. They will take different forms for some of us, and come at different time but we will have them if we never give up.
advertisement

Comments

• Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you had a wonderful day! I am possibly having a 3 level lumbar fusion with rods/screws and bone graft but don't know that I want to do this. It is a lot to decide. I am so glad that yours was successful and you had such a great day with your son. Thanks for being so positive and giving everyone else a :-) story to read! Have a great evening!
  • Thank you so much for your post. I'm so happy for you (even though I'm a Bear's fan). Your positive post will be an inspiration to a lot of people.
  • What an achievement to have done that all and not only survived but enjoyed it all.
    It is really good to look back to how far we have all come.
    I am pretty close in time to you about 7 1/2 months. At the moment I can do the walking but need a few stops but stairs are my problme. (I also have a hip replacement which doesn't help) but you have inspired me.
    I will get out the telephone books again for stepping up onto to practice my stairs. :))(

Big higs and blessings to you and thank you so much for sharing.
    Sara O:)
  • My husband had hip resurfacing in July. He put it off until I was at least able to take reasonable care of myself before having his own surgery as he was my caretaker, then I became his, while I was only only a bit past 3 months post surgery myself! It was quite the summer for us. So the two of us enjoyed this milestone outing together! Now, if one of us would have had BOTH surgeries, that would have been quite a diferent story :SS
  • Good for you, I hope I am as fortunate as you because I am almost 3 weeks out of 360 fusion at L4-L5 with hardwear and disc replacement. I also live in Wisconsin, just past the Green Bay Airport so Packer Frenzy is all around. I also miss #4. Sorry about the late game weather but I am so happy for you!!! Great Job on your recovery!!!! Where was your surgery done??? Keep up the joyful living and blessings to your son. Thanks for the inspirational message.
  • Hi there! yes, watched the game and sure miss Brett too ;) Are you from the GB area? I am in Central WI. I am 3 weeks post op ACDF C6/C7 with PEEK cage. 39 years old. My NS was wonderful! I am so happy for you that you got out and had that experience, isn't it wonderful? I have 3 more weeks (hopefully) in my neck brace. I go back 12/17 for follow up xrays and we'll go from there. GOOD LUCK and congrats. Keep getting better.
  • Wow, nice to hear from spineys in WI!! I live in the Milwaukee area, had my surgery at the big teaching hospital / medical college, done by a NS. Can't say it has been easy, but family made me realize, what was the purpose of having the surgery if I was not going to fight through and at least try and see if I could try to get back some of my many years lost to back, leg and foot pain from this broken spine. Thankfully, my surgeon and recovery has put me in a positin to begin trying. :)
  • I'm also from the Milwaukee area, but having my ALIF at St. Luke's. Glad to hear you enjoyed the game! (Too bad we lost, though!)
  • Hey! I'm between Sheboygan & Manitowoc, right on the Lake!

Phasti, GREAT that you are doing so well! Wow! Even tho we lost, YOU won! :) BTW: I grew up in Milwaukee & grad from UWM...what a small world, huh!

What a storm last PM! Anyone else in Badgerland feelin' their HARDWARE today? Mine is just killing me with all this dampness, wind & low barometer...ugh! Also kicked up my sciatica & arthritis...wrong climate, doc says! Let's all move to Arizona!

But let's keep on keeping on! At least we can all WALK! :)

~Lakeside (you should see the waves! 10 feet high!!)
advertisement