Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

need advice. back pain after sleeping for awhile.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
I have somewhat of a strange problem I think. I have the usual back problems associated with being in the army, occasionally I'll throw my back out and have to rest for a few days but that doesn’t happen often. My problem is sleeping, when I goto bed my back feels fine but after sleeping for about 3-4 hours I get this pain that feels like its behind my lower ribs near my spine on both sides. Gradually this has gotten worse year after year. A couple years ago I could sleep for about 6 hours and be alittle sore but I could manage to get back to sleep. Now after 3-4 hours the pain is bad enough that I cannot sleep. Throughout the night I switch sleeping positions but nothing works. The only thing that seems to alleviate some of the pain is if I sit cross legged on my bed and lean my upper body forward until my elbows are resting on my legs and that seems to "stretch" out my back, I usually stay like that until my feet start to go numb from sitting on them like that. Also when sleeping on my stomach I usually either have my arms under my stomach or a pillow for support because it feels alittle better when I do that. Sleeping on my back makes the problem worse and I usually switch between my right or left side and bring my knees up alittle and that also stretches out my back alittle but eventually my sides start to hurt to. I’ve taken ibuprofen and flexeril but they have no effect.
Over the years the pain seems to have spread I guess. In the morning when I get up my ribs are sore along with the muscles in-between my shoulder blades and spine. I don’t really understand what could cause these problems. I’m in good shape, 24y/o 6ft 4in tall. I haven’t been to a doctor yet because there are so many different symptoms that I wouldn’t know where to begin. What seems odd to me is I feel fine about an hour or so after I wake up and take a shower and everything. Any advice would be appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i want to thank you for your service first. =D> second, i would not know where to start either but perhaps looking at the top of the forum page under "Conditions" you could start to get an idea on what you are feeling. your doctor could probably help you as well but i don't know how that works when you are on active duty. please make yourself at home. check out the " Chronic Pain" forum and perhaps you will see some of your symptoms there. all the best. Jenny :)
  • Hi There and welcome!

I know this is gonna sound weird, have you tried sleeping on the floor?

I did it for 6 years, was the only way I got rest and relaxed out my back. I absolutely understad what you describe. Are you under a doctor? Have you had any tests, MRI?

Take Care.
  • Yeah Ive slept on the floor a couple times before for unrelated reasons and it didn't help any.

no I haven't seen a doctor about this yet. I wouldn't know where to start really.

• :) hi! :H you could always start with your general practitioner and probably get a couple of x-rays done that way. :? i don't think you are ready for a surgeon yet but that is always an option. either an orthopedic or neurosurgeon. you might even speak to a physical therapist about your problem and get some positive feedback from there. :-C don't go around in pain. there could be something as simple as changing your sleep positions to stretching which could help. it doesn't necessarily require a drastic solution. hope this helps you alittle bit! =D> Jenny :)
  • may be causing your problem. I go through a 20 minute ritual every morning just trying to get out of bed and straighten up. Times when I stay in bed too much (from sickness or pain)my facet arthropathy really gets bad. I can lean on my elbows on kitchen counter and get some relief when I have a really bad flare up. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I've had this same issue.. for several years!! I don't know what the answer is.. but the muscles in my back get SO stiff after more than 6 hours sleep that if I cough after waking, the pain is excrutiating.

If I sleep less than 6 hrs, I'm a bit stiff, but not too bad.
  • I'm 39, and have had this problem for like 7 years now....I finally got a simmons beauty rest plush pillow top mattress 3 years ago and it has helped significantly. Now I am staying at my boyfriend's house and planning on moving in and we went out and bought a bed with the same name, but not exactly the same bed....tried to but they change the names of the beds, and now I am experiencing this pain again. It totally SUCKS. You want to sleep more but you can't.........I swear its the bed ! My bed at home, the older Simmons is a life saver, I LOVE IT, but my fiance wants us to have a king and my bed at home is a queen. The whole thing for me has been a nightmare and I'm out $1,500 and I don't get hte same quality sleep as I do at home....(oh yoga also helps a lot).
  • I have this prolem too. Sometimes it helps if I sleep face down. Also I know I have been sleeping on a heating pad at night. If those don't seem to work I have also sleep in the recliner. Hopes this helps. Have you seen a doctor yet? Please take care and try to get some rest.
  • I start feeling back pain after 4-5 hours of sleeping. It's getting worse later after that. I tried to sleep on the side with the pillow between legs, the pain is a little bit better only. I tried to sleep on firmer mattress and even on the floor but it seems not helping. After getting out of bed for a while, I feel normal.

I don't feel any pain at all from daily activities.
    I feel totally ok after playing sand volleyball for a couple of hours.

I saw my family doctor and was advised to take advil or tylenol and back exercises. If these don't help then I will have X-ray taken.

• ashrafashraf Posts: 2
    edited 01/08/2015 - 3:52 AM
    Hi every body suffer from that
    pain

Do you have a congenital twisted spinal column ? And Did you
    try to twist your spinal column ?

or

Do you have a normal spinal column ? And you have tried to
    twist your spinal column Strongly to be more flexible?

if this is happen

the solution is that

you have to accept your original spine

try to go back to your congenital design

so

you have to adjust your mattress to fit with your original
    column's design by slight elevate somewhere under your
    back

XXXXXX

Pray for me God bless you all

Ashraf

• severe back pain after 5 hrs sleeping
    Hi every body suffer from that
    pain

Do you have a congenital twisted spinal column ? And Did you
    try to twist your spinal column ?

or

Do you have a normal spinal column ? And you have tried to
    twist your spinal column Strongly to be more flexible?

if this is happen

the solution is that

you have to accept your original spine

try to go back to your congenital design

so

you have to adjust your mattress to fit with your original
    column's design by slight elevate somewhere under your
    back

put slight small tissue layers

I tried this and this pain disappeared

Pray for me God bless you all

Ashraf

• hvirdi_4hhvirdi_4 Posts: 1
    edited 07/13/2015 - 8:35 PM
    Anonymous said:
    I have somewhat of a strange problem I think. I have the usual back problems associated with being in the army, occasionally I'll throw my back out and have to rest for a few days but that doesn’t happen often. My problem is sleeping, when I goto bed my back feels fine but after sleeping for about 3-4 hours I get this pain that feels like its behind my lower ribs near my spine on both sides. Gradually this has gotten worse year after year. A couple years ago I could sleep for about 6 hours and be alittle sore but I could manage to get back to sleep. Now after 3-4 hours the pain is bad enough that I cannot sleep. Throughout the night I switch sleeping positions but nothing works. The only thing that seems to alleviate some of the pain is if I sit cross legged on my bed and lean my upper body forward until my elbows are resting on my legs and that seems to "stretch" out my back, I usually stay like that until my feet start to go numb from sitting on them like that. Also when sleeping on my stomach I usually either have my arms under my stomach or a pillow for support because it feels alittle better when I do that. Sleeping on my back makes the problem worse and I usually switch between my right or left side and bring my knees up alittle and that also stretches out my back alittle but eventually my sides start to hurt to. I’ve taken ibuprofen and flexeril but they have no effect.
    Over the years the pain seems to have spread I guess. In the morning when I get up my ribs are sore along with the muscles in-between my shoulder blades and spine. I don’t really understand what could cause these problems. I’m in good shape, 24y/o 6ft 4in tall. I haven’t been to a doctor yet because there are so many different symptoms that I wouldn’t know where to begin. What seems odd to me is I feel fine about an hour or so after I wake up and take a shower and everything. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I had the same problem. I used to get this sharp back pain on both sides(sides, not the spine area) only while sleeping. I would get up, walk around and it would go away. I went to the doc and described him that pain. He seemed surprised as he never heard that before. He send me in for xxxx test to look for kidney stones and a ultrasound. In ultrasound they found kidney cysts. I did research on it and found out that when kidney cysts burst, they can cause this kind of backpain. I changed my diet, I watch what's eat now. Too much Alcohol, spicy food, too much protein like meat, beans and body supplements aid in causing these cysts. Workout is very helpful. I watch what I eat now and don't have this pain anymore. Hope this will help :)

Moderator's message...Please click on link for helpful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
  • I had the same problem for 3 yrs....went to doctors, chiropractors until finally one holistic doctor told me to cut out sodas and coffee and just drink at least 6-8 glasses of distilled water for 2 weeks...after one week i slept right thru the night without having to get up because of the pain...everytime i backslide and stop drinking the water the pain returns..i'm on it all the time now
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,233
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    edited 11/04/2015 - 11:54 AM
    I have cervical issues and like you sometimes I only wake up with pain. (I had no pain when I went to bed). I also have some sleep apnea, for which I sleep sideways and it probably makes my back pain worse.
    MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.
  • I had severe back pain after microdiscectomy 3 years ago. Only happened when sleeping on back after 3 hrs ish. I now have very few problems. I invested in a tempur mattress - on finance, very expensive but worth it. Also bought a pregnancy pillow - a friend who had back pain whilst pregnant suggested and is helpful for sleeping on my side & not rolling onto back. Also bought a big square bean bag to keep legs up at a right angle when asleep. Hope you find some relief!
  • MikeAstiMMikeAsti Posts: 1
    edited 11/11/2015 - 9:04 PM
    Lily2014 said:
    I had severe back pain after microdiscectomy 3 years ago. Only happened when sleeping on back after 3 hrs ish. I now have very few problems. I invested in a tempur mattress - on finance, very expensive but worth it. Also bought a pregnancy pillow - a friend who had back pain whilst pregnant suggested and is helpful for sleeping on my side & not rolling onto back. Also bought a big square bean bag to keep legs up at a right angle when asleep. Hope you find some relief!
    Nerve Damage is very painful I've been using B-12 Complex works great.also try checking your hormones specifically the progesterone which controls the central nervous system you might get rid of alot of your disconfort.

Warning:

Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval.
    Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..

Please click on this link for spine-health information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz. Spine-health Moderator

• tuohy2000ttuohy2000 Australia Posts: 1
    Hi i have been suffering  with this exact problem  for ten years i now have a personal  best of 3 hours solid  sleep after that goodluck too much pain iv been to docs, chrio prac , cox chrio therapy had xrays ultra sounds and mri done still no answer  i spent 5k on a new mattress still no good i sometimes think it would be easier to just end it and i dont want to do that but ppl that have this problem  will understand what i mean i have no answer for you but what i have found out is if you sleep in a reclining type chair that stays upright a little it  makes a huge difference also try building up your inner core i hang from my shed roof truss by my arms and raise my legs up and hold them there pointed stright out in front for about 3 seconds and i do this half a dozen  times it seems to help a little  doing it everyday and as many as i can do its only something new iv started doing but i think it does help but as for doctors noone can tell me whats wrong iv treid anti inflammatorys arthritis stuff just about everything if anyone can help with this you will be saving many ppl im sure. It is so frustrating when you dont know and cant get help everyone  thinks your full of crap unless they see you in the morning i hate it and i hope you find out what it actually is .
  • Gysgt13GGysgt13 MissouriPosts: 1
    I also have this problem. I go to bed at night and sleep well for 3 to 4 hours. If I sleep any longer I wake up and feel  as if I have a giant clamp squeezing me. It hurts so bad that all you want to do is just cry. Each breath is painful and no amount of stretching helps.  My pain usually lets up after about an hour or so only to come back the next night. This started when I was about 24 I am now 49, it hasn't gotten any worse but at the same time it hasn't gotten better. I have tried several different new mattresses, air, foam, water, firm, soft,  pillow top but none make any difference. I've seen several doctors , none of which really seam to take it seriously. They have sent me for multiple x-rays all come back negative.  I've taken over the counter and prescription pain relievers and anti-inflammatorys as well as muscle relaxers. Like touhy2000, the only thing that seems to help me is to sleep in a reclined position. I have a large pillow like people use for reading in bed, that I place against the headboard then I use several pillows to prop my head and shoulders up into a comfortable position or I sleep in my recliner. Both are frustrating to my wife. My son who is 26 also has the same problem. I wish there were answers to be found but I haven't found them. 
  • m.morrisonmm.morrison californiaPosts: 1
     I had the same nighttime pain for about two years.  It was excruciating. It was just like what you described: terrible pain at night after a few hours in bed, it would wake me up. Sitting up was the only thing that would relieve the pain.  After about a year it was getting progressively worse; it started to feel like it was radiating pain through my abdomen.  I was terrified it was caused by something awful (like a tumor).  I went to a bunch of doctors, had X-rays, ultrasounds, took meds, etc.. nothing helped and nobody could figure out what was wrong. Finally I visited a chiropractor. Although his treatments didn't seem to help my back (it didn't do any harm either), he made a suggestion: He suggested that the problem was my hamstrings. I almost laughed at him. There was NO WAY this kind of pain was related to my hamstrings. But he insisted that as people get older their hamstrings get tight and when they lie in bed, the hamstrings contract and it indirectly pulls on the back muscles.  The back muscles are small compared to the hamstrings and the hours and hours of pulling just jacks them up. So.. he insisted that I do hamstrings stretches 3 - 4 times a day for 20 min. each.  I was 100% absolutely sure that this was not going to work and it seemed like an hour a day for stretches was asking a lot. But I was desperate so I did the stretches. And IT WORKED. TOTALLY. After about a week I stopped waking up at night, and the pain was gone. All gone. And the pain is still gone. I don't have to stretch my hamstrings nearly so much, but if I don't stretch at all the pain comes back.  Ten minutes a day now and I sleep like a baby.  If you try this and it works for you please pass along the info: pay it forward, so to speak, so more people can get pain relief without meds.  P.S. do the hamstring stretches that don't put any pressure on your back -- do the ones where you're lying down.  
  • I started experiencing the same problem when I was about 21. I'm 29 now. I went to all kinds of doctors and bought 5 new mattresses during that time but still wasn't able to find relief but I will tell you what has worked. 

We I sleep on my side I always put a pillow between my knees. If I'm on my back I pile pillows up under my knees. Look up spine healthy sleeping positions. It has given me some comfort. I also drink plenty of water and found that potassium helps too so eat bananas if you can. I also always get a better nights rest if I stretch right before getting into bed. Maybe about 15 minutes of trying to get all loosened up. Advil liquid gels are a life saver. Also, I really try to focus on my core strength. I find that of you focus on using your core to me move throughout the day your back is happier in general. But the single greatest thing I have found in the last 8 years is beast tape. There are all kinds of different names for it but I buy it on Amazon for less than $10 a roll. It's the stuff you see Olympic athletes covered in. I don't know how or why but I have someone help me apply this to my back (sometimes almost all over) and I feel little to no pain. I know it sounds crazy but for how cheap it is it's worth a shot. I keep. Two rolls at my house at all times. 

Good luck everyone!
  • I notice this wasn't really answered an more people just admitted to having the same or simular issue. the only person in this thread really that has posted a solution is ashraf, It just went unnoticed because of the broken english. But he is indeed correct.

Whoever told you to put pillows under your head to help with a lower back problem was probably giving you good advice but just had the pillow locations wrong. If you wake up with lower back pain often you should try putting a small pillow under your lower back and under your knees. this will give you a sleeping posture that will maintain the natural curve of the spine. 

I've suffered with this problem for years but since buying one of those U shaped pillows for my back and having a pillow under my knees i never wake up aching anymore
advertisement