Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question on Neck Support Post Surgery

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone: :H

I'm not sure when my surgery is yet. I will be having cervical surgery, not sure exactly to what extent.,

I had to stop by the Medical Equipment Store yesterday for help with an orthotic I am using non-neck related. While there I asked them about renting a recliner post-cervical surgery. I found out that that will not be an option for me.

So I'm thinking I can just use wedge pillows and other pillows on my bed as an alternative to recliner. We do not own one and can't afford one at this time.

Have others here used stacked up pillows on the bed as an alternative to recliners?

Ken GreyEagle
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• I could not have done without my recliner these past 2 months. Do you have a furniture rental place near you? I did the 90 days same as cash thing so it belongs to me now but if you're thinking about something short term you could try that. If you decide not keep it stop making payments and I promise you they will come get it and it won't leave any marks on your credit. Let me give you some idea of what it costs me a month $27.00 that's all. So that may be something for you to think about. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • In answer to your question about pillows, that it what I used. I had a wedge pillow, and several other pillows that I piled around me, to rest my arms on, etc. I slept this way the first few days, and that worked well for me. The biggest problem was when I started to lay down more as I healed, just when I would reach the point where I had to let go and lay down totally, my neck would hurt. Puts strain on neck muscles. You probably know what I mean even before your surgery. I have a recliner, but mine has the handle you have to move to pull up the foot rest. It was very uncomfortable, so I didn't use the recliner at all. There are many ways to make do with what you have. I have been out of town for awhile. Did you get your further neuro appt? I looked back, but didn't see a post from you. Have been wondering how you are doing. Hope you had a great T-day. Take care.

Maggie
  • Ken,

Not everyone feels best in a recliner. We had one that was top of the line and I tried to sleep on it for the first couple of nights. I hated it! I ended up on the couch, on my side, and remained there for the next several months LOL.

Maybe a friend has one you can borrow so that you don't have to put any expense into it? I hate to see you spend money and then hate it!

Just food for thought...

Griff
  • i used feather pillows. u can mold them to fit in comfortably around your neck!! worked great for me.

i had posterior approach too----> pain was worse than labour pain.
  • After my recliner days I bought the cheapest softest pillows I could find at WalMart. I paid like 2.50 a piece for them. Like Roxy said since they are the cheapy ones and super soft you can bend them to fit the way you want. And oh I didn't mean to imply that I slept in my recliner. I never did that. I slept on my couch a lot though. But I sat in my recliner most of the day while I worked from home. I shopped for all of the special pillows and they were all just way out of my price range. A recliner is nice for sitting in but not for trying to sleep at least not for me. Sorry about that.
  • Thanks everyone for your informative and fun replies. We don't have room for a recliner either where I would need to have one.

I'll go with stacked up pillows on the bed. We have a large tv in that room as well. I love to read. So hopefully that will work.

I see my second opinion neuro-surgeon on December 18th. He deals with difficult cases. After I see him I make an appointment again with my primary neurosurgeon. At that point I am hoping he will tell me exactly what surgery he plans on.

This Friday I am going to a surgical center for a cortizone injection in the C-6 nerve root of my neck (I think that's the location, lol). I saw this doctor about a month and a half ago when he did a diagnostic C-6 nerve root block (was positive). He is a wonderful doctor with a wonderful team. They were all very informative, very friendly. I look forward to seeing him.,

I had an increase in pain in recent weeks. I called my DO requesting an increase in the dosages of either my morphine or vicodin. Currently I am on 15 mg morphine extended release 2x a day and vicodin 5/500 1x a day. He declined. He had told me the surgical team could have difficulty controlling my post-surgical pain if my pain meds were increased now. I thought he had said something also about the possibility of difficulty breathing post-surgery too.

Anyway, my primary neuro had suggested possible laminectomy where they use a high speed bur to trim the offending disc (impinging on my nerve root) or acdf C-5/C-6. What ends up happening I don't know yet.

Thanks again everyone. You are all great! =D>

Ken GreyEagle
    Western Band Cherokee
    Greyeagle
  • Another thought is to create a reclining position with your bed that you have now. Put some blocks and a board under the head to elevate the bed a bit.

I used my recliner to sleep in and to sit in because it was just too painful to lay down. But I also spent a lot of time on the couch, on my side, with my back against the back support of the couch and a pillow stuffed under the crook of my neck to support it.

Just get creative and you will be able to find a way to get comfortable. I even had one person tell me she bought a chaise lawn chair (real cheap this time of year, can find on clearance) and piled a folded quilt on it for cushion and this helped her to be able to sleep.

Not to get your hopes up too much--sleep is hard to come by no matter what position I am in....

I hope you get an answer at your appointment on the 18th.

Cindy

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
advertisement