Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pulling my hair out!!!!! UPDATE

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Really need to vent here so sorry.

My back injury was a work related injury and I have had nothing but problems with the work comp people since the start of it 7 years ago.

I am currently fighting with workers comp to get me to the gym. When I finished PT 10 weeks ago the physio recommended I start a gym programme and wrote me a list of exercises. My surgeon and local Dr followed up with the same request but work comp has completely ignored it.
They want me to start back at a physio of their choice, one session a week ~X( ~X( they just cant seem to understand that this is what I have already been doing and I am past that! What I need is a treamill, recyling bike, some light weights and mats for the floor.

If I had the money i would pay for it myself but I cant even do that as I would be forforting my 'contract' with workers comp to do so.

Every time I talk to the case manager I end up in tears or am about to explode, yesterday I had to hang up on her or I was going to say something that I would regret later. This is not like me but they drive me to distraction and I am sure that is the plan. Then people will just give up.

Thing is my private health insurance will not cover me for my back as it is work related. SO I am stuck.

Dont they want me to improve???????

Thanks for listening, I really needed to get that off my chest.

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Sara . . .

Having been a workers' comp adjuster in another life, I'm sure they're trying to "cut costs". Perhaps if you do a little bit of research via phone about the gyms in your area and provide them with a document outlining options, it might help you.

Call 3 gyms and find out the cost to join, monthly fees, etc. Provide them also with costs for you to purchase your own equipment to do the exercises from home.

PT once per week is quite expensive . . . $70 - $150 per session, I suspect. Say that in your written communication to them.

If they're smart, they'll opt for the best financial deal.

By the way, do you have a Planet Fitness near you? It's like $60 to join and $10 per month. Tell your WC Adjuster that there's no contract, and if you fail to attend for 30 days, they can cancel!!!

Just some thoughts. Hope everything works out for you.
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.
    Most of that I have already tried. I got quotes from local gyms but they only do 1 year contract/membership for a set price, to buy a 3 or 6 months is so much more expensive.
    So I sent all the prices in about 6 weeks ago.
    I am in Australia and we dont have Planet fitness here but they sound good.

I know that the PT is going to work out more expensive for them and that is the stuipd part. They seem to waste so much money on things that are not necessary while the things that will help me they just ignore.

Before I had surgery they had me at the gym and it really made a difference. Even the Dr said I came through the surgery so much better then expected as I had done all I could to get fit beforehand.
    I was going 5-6 days a week and would be happy to go back to that.

I have just spoken with the PT they sent me to and he said that he recommended to them a session once a week with him and a 3 month gym membership to continue the exercises with.

Thanks for trying to help, I think I may need to write to the complaints officer as I do think that this case manager is just making it as hard as she can for me.
  • I'm so sorry you have to contend with this. Hang in there, though, you are one tough lady and I just imagine you are well up to the challenge! =D> =D> >:D< >:D<
  • Hello.I read many of your posts and you are always the optimist..so much so that it at times puts me to shame...that is why I felt compelled to post a reply just incase a little encouragement might help you during what must be a moment of discouragement.

You are always so strong and always fighting the good fight for your own health and well being(this is what I see in your posts).I don't see many as tough and kind at the same time,so I'm certain that you will get through this as well.

I think you are right in thinking that the case manager is trying to make it hard for you,probably in hopes that you will give up-as you mentioned in your previous post.Obviously they have underestimated you,as I'm sure(hope I'm right here-lol)that you won't be giving up.

You've come too far to let them get in the way of your progress at this point :)))
  • Hang in there Sara. These comp problems are so stressful. I think you are right, they are trying to blow you off. Keep advocating for yourself. Maybe they would rather pay for a more expensive 3 month membership than a cheaper year membership. Afterall they have the brain of an ant 8} Goodluck, >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Sara,

I wish I would have a magic wand and make your troubles go away. Isn't that awful, that every time you have to deal with WC they try to make it as difficult as possible. But hang on girl, maybe eventually they will come to their senses.
    And please don't despair, we are here for you, at least to listen.

Hugs,

Kin
  • I hope you can get the same PT that you had. I know there are some physio that even come to your house. But not sure if it's covered or they have that there. If there's ever a chance for pool therapy that would be great and if they paid for it. Hope things work out okay I don't have WC but the Insurance has been bugging my Dr. so much for updates, she forgot to book me in with a PM Dr. because they had her so pinned down with paperwork. I didn't tell the insurance people that yet but will tell him if they harass me. It's not an easy road for such innocent nice people who were injured at their jobs and then they bring out something in us that's so unreal. I'm glad you vented sorry I did too. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • How annoying for you - the systems just suck sometimes don't they and real people can't see past their tick boxes.

I hope you get it sorted. I like the idea of the cost analysis PT versus gym route and send it in to case manager.

Good Luck. >:D<
  • Please don't pull that pretty brown hair of yours out. You are our rock. You've helped so many of us. I can't believe that they won't let you do something as simple as join a gym. What a bummer and bunch of dummies! Like Kin said we are here for you sweetie! Vent to us anytime. Do NOT let this get you down though. You're such a positive spirit I hate to see that you feel this way.
    >:D< It will work out one way or another. I know you can make it so.
  • Sara,

I'm sorry to hear about these troubles. Unfortunately, our society has gotten to the point that insurance companies only look out for their bottom line and try to cover their own behinds. The last thing they are doing is looking out for the patient's best interests.

You have run into an issue where your regular insurance won't deal with this because it is work related and therefore the responsibility of Worker's Comp. Worker's Comp is trying to cover their own butt by wanting you to do PT at a place of their choosing.

This is a tough situation, but I know you will get past it. Can your doctor give you a home exercise program? My surgeon is not sending me to PT at all - it is all home-based with hardly any equipment (just some light weights).

Best of luck. :)))
  • I feel like I have been given a whole bunch of lovely hugs! >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

I got a voicemail message from the case manager this morning. (funny my phone never actually rang, which I am pleased about) and she said. "Just confirming that we are agreeing to 12 x once weekly session with a PT and a 3 month gym membership"
    As if she had planned it all along and hadn't told me she wouldn't agree to it. ~X( Oh and thanks for the apology!

But in the end I will now able to get to the gym and do the work I need to be doing to heal my back, so alls well that ends well. It is just such a shame that they play these games.

Again thank you all for your support and for listening, it is great to know that we all have such an extended family >:D<

• And you are the living proof of that. I just wish they hadn't put you through that. I hope this therapy works well for you. Let us know how it goes. I am always looking for good sound advice for my best friend who has had back surgery and I often point her to your posts. I'm just really happy for you today. You deserve to have what helps to make you better. Here's one more hug so you KNOW that we care about you. >:D< because you are our O:)
  • I am glad this problems got resolved. But couldn't that person just tell you what she did in the first place? I guess that is what makes life interseting. All these suspenses.

But all is well if it ends well.

Cheers,

Kin
  • Planet Fitness is awesome! We have them EVERYWHERE here in Massachusetts. It's 10 bucks to sign up, 10 a month. But if you get the black card it's 15 a month, I think, and you can bring anyone you want.. Every single day. One guest every day, doesn't matter who or how many times you bring them. I think that's awesome.
  • Here's a hug from me too!! >:D<

I am glad it looks like it's working out! I was about to say we all need to figure out a way for us to chip in and buy you a treadmill and then get it to you through the mail... :)))

Big HUGS >:D< >:D< >:D<

Haylie
  • . . . were answered for you, Sara! I'm so glad!
advertisement