Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NO PAIN PUMP!Can i request NOT to have the pain pump?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Management
Can i request to not have the pain pump during my next surgery? Any time i fell asleep I wouldnt push my button there for i wouldnt recieve any medication. When i finally would it would take forever to kick in! My boyfriend was there for me as much as he could to push my button for me and allow me to sleep! I was out of it enough that I would forget to push it as well...I really really dont want it again...I want something that allows me to sleep and relax a bit more. Isnt this possable? 8} :SS :''(
advertisement

Comments

• Just tell them you're going to have family members pushing the button while you're asleep. If they know the medication is being administered that way, they won't let you near one. It's a protocol violation that can cause them tons of trouble. ;))
  • youde be suprised...doctors and nurses here in illinois...but i will mention it and see whats said?
  • hi,
    all the information i give you is totally my own personal opinion and experience and not medical.

you can request anything you want. here you can anyway.
    but as you can see with my history.
    even falling asleep with the pain pump i found it much better.
    i mean otherwise most of the time you can only get meds 3-4hrs through your IV. so if you fall asleep for a hour and wake up in horrible pain you have to wait for your next dose. i also hated calling the nurse waiting for them to draw up the dose especially if they were busy and waiting for them to get in my room. drove me nutso. and i kept watching that clock. i hated that also.
    this just happened at my recent hospital stay.
    i have also found morphine is not as effective for pain control as some other meds used in the PCA.
    i also was allowed a bolus (spelling) that if my pain got out of control with the pump they could give me a IV push at certain times during the day.
    i had the max of dilaudid in the PCA and it saved my life the whole time i was on it
    . even if i fell asleep for 3 hrs i pushed the button every 6 minutes and after 3 pushes i felt back to where i was before.

now when i had my simple appendix surgery i was allowed 2 of dilaudid every 2 hrs through my IV so that worked out good. but the pain from that wasn't that bad.

iv also heard that removing of the screws is not as bad as the fusion itself.
    i read your other post to. they are not concerned you did not fuse after a few years?? im just asking because i did not fuse after a year and that was causing all my pain and i just had it all re done in sept of this year. but you also mentioned the problem you have with brittle bones.
    heat does not help at all???
    with ice you said that makes it worse. are you wrapping it up in something???? i would be lost without my ice packs as they numb my pain. but of course again not everyone can tolerate ice.

anyways in the end its all up to you.
    mabye it was the morphine not working for you. if you already were taking it at home. our bodies get immuned to certain meds after awhile.
    they used that on my last thursday for the day and i wondered why i was in so much pain. it just was not effective for myself.

this is all my personal experience. discuss this with your dr before going into surgery so it all can be documented. because once your asleep you will wake up in recovery with whatever they want.

good luck
    terri O:)
  • Please do not allow a faily member to push the button for you... this could result in over-medication. In all the hospitals I have worked at, it is against policy to allow anyone but the patient push the pain pump button.

Discuss your concern with your Nurse. The RN should actually educate you to not the your pain get out of control before you receive your next dose. If you tell the Nurse you are concerned you will fall asleep between doses and wake-up in more pain, she should monitor you more closely.

Best of luck,
    Elle

• and mine alone!
    I had a L5-S1 fusion in 2004. They went through my low belly area instead of the back. I had the iv pump and it worked ok for me. Now if I was having a bad bout of pain I would call the nurse and he/she would give me an additional dose of whatever in pill form (cant remember that far back)once I was able to hold things down. HOWEVER at times it would take forever to get the med, especially during the day. Mainly because they had to wait for the pharmacy to send up the meds, double check when I had that med last, my day nurse was not good at all and at times double check with teh doc. Now when my hubby was there it was nice well at times LOL He would push the button for me and actually the nurses knew and never said anything. BUT the reason could have been because my IV slipped about 4 different times. twice in each arm. and I would get this burning in my arm from the morphine going into my skin or flesh or whatever, it wasn't in my vein. So not only was the morphine going in the wrong spot BUT the IV solution was continually pumping/dripping into my arm and not the vein. I had told the day nurse the pain I was having from surgery and also from my arm and she wiggled the iv and sid there, she was not the best nurse at all. Anyway come shift change around 7pm or so(my surgery was at 5am) my male nurse came in! He was great he was so mad that I was in the pain I was in and my arms were litterally swollen 3-4 times the size. Anyway he put it in the other arm for me and I could not bend the one it was in. All was well. Well the next day about noon time the same day nurse came in and put meds in my iv. Well when she did this the iv slipped again. I brought it up to her and she wiggled it once again said that should do it, and that arm swelled up like the right one did! So here I am lookin like Pop-Eye. Shift change occured adn my wonderful night male nurse fixed it up again. So anyway, my hubby came in around 6am before shift change and he was pushing the button for me because my arms and hands were so swollen, that I couldn't even bend any of my joints and it hurt to put pressure on any part of them, from all of the iv solution going into my arm and not the vein. I told the nurse he was pushing it and she didn't seem to mind. Now the CRAPPY part of it was when Iwould wake up from a nap he thought I was in pain, which I was, and with my voice hoarse from the tube during surgery and the vomitting he thought I said push it and I would actually say dont push it. We joked about it afterwards and I told him he was just trying to shut me up. LOL Anyway it only happened like that on accident once. Which is probably why that is something htat is not allowed. But for the day that he was with me in the hospital he pushed the button for me because I literally couldn't. But he double checked to make sure that that is what I wanted him to do. LOL
    Now if with your past surgery you were on Morphine in the pump maybe request something different. I know Dilaudid works better for me and I dont get that horrid "Morphine headache". I do not know if they use dilaudid in that machine though. I have only had injections in my bumm before. Also, in my experience, with the morphine is that it wore off too early. So after I would wake up I would push the button wait 4 or 6 min (cant remember what time span I had, maybe the standard to start is 6 min, I know I had a short time span) and would push it every time I was allowed for 3-4 times until my pain was better. However that 15-20 minutes is like the longest when you have that much pain.
    Sorry this is so stinking long. What I would do is discuss this with your surgeon. he/she will listen to your experience from the previous surgery and come up with a med remedy while you are in the hospital. The surgeon may increase the amount of med that is distributed each time you push the button, use a different med in the pump (if possible), give you a long acting med in pill form (once you can hold things down without vomitting) etc etc. a couple good things about a second surgery, if there is such a thing, is that you already know what didn't help with pain to keep you comfortable before. You also know what to expect as far as recovery and what-not. So maybe with discussing it with the surgeon he/she will change dosings or meds. I know that my NS and I have already talked about all that stuff because I may have to have a second surgery after the first of the year. So if I do have to have surgery again he can tell me at the pre-op apt with him what meds he will be using for me. Docs dont want us in pain especially after surgery. I feel that if we are in pain that is not tolerable or starts to stress us out it effects the healing time. My NS also said that he felt the same way. So just be open and honest and hopefully you and your surgeon will come up with a good plan.
    Good luck! and keep us posted!!! MJ
  • Sorry had to jump in again LOL
    Yes MJ they do use dilaudid in the PCA's. Most hospitals around here are getting away from even using morphine in them. But again it depends on what the patient can handle or is allergic to and all that stuff.
    I find it more effective then any other med to. But of course that is me.
    I also was told straight out for the first time ever as I got to my room and hubby was there (last wks surgery)
    .In no way shape or form were they to push the button. It was considered a felony believe it or not. To let the nurse know and they would come check on me and they could do it or give the IV push through the machine itself.
    So personally anyone ever doing that I would stay away from doing that. Not telling anyone what to do as every hospital is different etc. So serioulsy I don't want this post to turn into a "bad" one. As all hospitals, drs and patients are going to have their own rules and regs.
    Also with last yrs back surgery hubby said I pushed the button believe it or not even while asleep. Guess it became second nature lol
    GHESSH I sure wish I had it right now I) :$ :S I mean I hae the pill form right now, but ya know those nights where ya just want one shot ugghhh..

Cherry Let us know how you make out with your dr. I discussed all this at pre op testing. Plus with the anasteologist before surgery. They documented everything. What worked and what did not.

Have a good night hun
    xoxoxo
  • I'm not positive about this, but I've been told that you can't overdose yourself with the pumps. It will only give a certain amount of the med in a set period of time...so don't be concerned about that part. At least this is what my daughter, an RN, tells me. I guess I was one of the lucky ones...I had no problems with pain control in the hospital. They really kept me in a good place most of the time. I had told my doc about my high tolerance for pain meds and asked that he put it in my chart immediately that if what they were giving me wasn't working, there was a backup plan. The more straightforward you are with your doc, the better it will be.

If you don't have the pump, you will not always get the meds you need right away. Like someone else has said, they have to order it from the pharmacy, wait for it, and heaven forbid if you need it when the shift is changing, it will be quite a long time before someone comes in with the med.
  • I fainly remember that being said by my night time nurse when I had told him! I think it was just easier for the day nurse to let us take care of ourselves as much as possible. I am not dissing nurses!! I know that I couldn't do the job that they do! I dont have the patients that it would take. I also dont think that she was a bad person I think she was just having a rough week, which we are all entitled to.
    Yes and the way the pain pump is set up is a certain dose at certain intervals allowed. So no you cannot overdose useing this device. I dont think that they would allow patients to use it if there was that possibility! Once you click the button you can click 100 times until your 6 minutes or the time set up is over with before you get another dose.
  • The pump is programmed not to administer a dose in excess of the doctor's orders, regardless of how many times the button is pushed, so technically it wouldn't overdose you. However, it's just a machine; we're humans and our human bodies react differently to many things when we're under the physical and emotional stress that comes with illness, injury, surgery, and/or hospitalization.

Giving medication to a person who is sleeping, without a proper assessment, is dangerous. That's why nurses "annoy" you awake in the middle of the night and ask "stupid" questions before they put certain medications into your IV, even when you've complained about it and asked them not to wake you. They're assessing you prior to administering medication, otherwise, how do they know your just sleeping as opposed to being unable to wake up?

For that reason, even with the overdose protection of the pump schedule, a family member could very well harm you by pushing the button. If sleeping through doses is a problem, it's much safer to have your family member wake you at the appropriate intervals, rather than pushing the button for you.
  • Trust me after the last surgery I dont care if i O/D...ok maybe i dont wanna O/D...but i just dont wanna keep waking up screaming! I literally cried so much I had black eyes...looked like someone came in and punched me! I kept passing out from pain, ide wake back up just the same! I was NEVER pain free...My b/f laughed when he read it could be a felony to push my button..."he wouldnt care anyways", but he knew he couldnt OD me...he's had a pump before too...he couldnt stand to see me in mysery...
    UGH...all this science and what not and the doctors still cant take away the pain.... :? :SS ohh god...and shift change or not...ide imagine the nurses would shut me up if they coulda...they even had me in with a poor little old woman...who was on her death bed...this blowz...dont seem like no one knows what i should do??? :''( :SS go to drive my doctor crazy on the 18th...ask my last questions...
  • Like I stated before....
    When you see your doc let him know your experience. Let him know your side effects to the morphine, how it didn't take away the pain etc etc etc. Ask HIM if he could us a different med such as dilaudid. For ME dilaudid works far better. Just be open and honest and tell him your concerns, experience and that you would like a different med in your pump. Again dilaudid is JUST A SUGGESTION!! That is about the only thing I can think of. Either that or tell him you dont want the pump BUT THEN you will be at the nurses and the pharmacy's mercy. That is why they try to have the patients use a pain pump, because for the hospital pharmacy and the nurse to be able to get into your room right at teh time to administer another injection may not happen. I remember when I asked for a shot of imitrex for my morphine headache it took 2 hours before the nurse came in with the injection. The nurses station wont have syringes upon syringes full of a narcotic just laying around. So anyway that is my opinion and I hope you and your doc can come up with a solution. Let us know how the apt goes. Good Luck MJ
  • Ugh, cant they have a drip constant in my IV? I know most nurses are jokes...ive had them talking about dates and or their weekends just standing around...maybe not all nurses are like this however the majority of ones ive had...have been like that! If there are people obviously who are gonna be in pain, one would think they could be a bit more prepared than that??? I hate waiting!
    Example....took my kid to putpacient for ear infection,mono,and strep other day...they had 2 departments open, ER and prompt care...werent that manny people...TOOK 4 HOURS! even the doctor came back around after we were seen and goes....your still here??? an hour after being seen...they went and jumped the nurse...even the doctor thought it was a bit much!I have been looking at many diffrent things to try and use other than pain pump...I was badly ignored after my surgery...not by the doctor...the nurses...SOOOOOOOOO, stressed ~X(
  • Sorry you've had bad experiences with nurses, but I personally think they are great! They have more than YOU to take care of, ok? Sorry to be so blunt, but you touched a nerve. You wrote, "I know most nurses are jokes." Because of the shortage of nurses, sometimes they have as many as 15 patients (even more) to take care of. For the most part, they are very caring people who went into this field because they want to HELP people! I'm sure there are a few bad apples, as in ANY field!
  • It is terrible the experience you had and unacceptable!

In answer to the question "yes" you can refuse the PCA pump that is one of your patient rights...paraphrasing here but, you have a right to be involved on pain management decisions, however it sounds like you haven't had the full benefit of a PCA.

BionicWoman is absolutely right everyone is different and the pump is programmed for certain amts at set intervals with a max dose per hr but like she said for any meds we have to assess you before they go down your throat, in an IV or subcutaneously. The program set for you especially at first is usually weight based and because everyone is different a family member hitting the button for you could cause respiratory depression and kill you.

It's happened and that's why we say don't do that at the same time if it's that bad and if a patient feels that's the only solution they are wrong & unfortunately you've had some crappy nursing care so you didn't have someone who should have worked with you to get the pain under control. Your doc also has to give a care too, we can't help manage pain without orders from them!

Ok so what do you do? First you explain your experience to the doc if he is unwilling to help change that for the next time get a new doc. If he is not happy with what happened to you and is willing to work with you he can do several things.

-He can change the PCA med to Dilaudid or Fentanyl(commonly used for epidurals but can be a PCA option as well)
    -If you try Morphine again He can start out orders with an increased dose and/or shorter intervals
    -If that doesn't work you can ask for an order to receive pain pills for what we call breakthrough pain. All of your pill form meds given routinely will depend on what you were admitted to the hospital taking. Your breakthrough med usually is what you take at home.
    -You should have a muscle relaxer ordered as needed either IV or by mouth for spasms every 4-6 hrs depending on the doc as far as how often of course.
    -some folks take Ambien for sleep with a PCA but we have to have a separate order from the doc to give it with the PCA!
    -The boluses have already been mentioned & usually there is a standing order for one when you first get up to the floor so you can inquire about that because a nurse may not "volunteer" that info or if it's a new nurse he/she may not know.
    -And yes PCA's are also able to be programmed for what we call a "basal" dose or a certain dose given every hr continuously.
    -If you wear a pain patch pls make sure it's off before you get a PCA.

Hopefully these suggestions help you maybe try the PCA again but differently. We do not use them because we can't or don't want to get you pain meds. Most hospitals do not require going to the pharmacy everytime a pain med is needed. Some smaller hospitals maybe or some certain very expensive meds need to be ordered daily but we have floor stock or a PYXIS system which is a computer system to sign out your meds including narcotics. The PCA's are used routinely after major sometimes minor surgery because they have been proven to show most patients were happier with their pain control when they had options to take control of their pain (like hit the button) than without it.

I have posted before and will again I'm sure that I hate hearing such aweful stories. I take them personally & not against anyone sharing the bad stories but of the nurses who were bad. I've been a RN for almost 17 years and I know it happens sometimes because they don't care or really sometimes they don't know. In either case I had an aweful 1st day post-op from PACU to the next morning....so it happens to everyone. My PACU nurse was an a$$, my evening nurse was slow & my night nurse was useless. So I didn't need the evening or night nurse again....That helped but overall there are other hospitals here put it that way.

Which brings up my next suggestion. You do not and should not receive bad care. Whether it's pain control, nurses who are too lazy to change an IV or for whatever YOU feel you are not receiving good care for.

Honestly sometimes personalities are all it is. You can ask for a different nurse. You can talk to the charge nurse if that doesn't change things you can ask for the floor supervisor or manager. That is the chain of command if all that fails there is always the DON (dept of nursing) head.

So talk with the doc you should know we CANNOT take away ALL of the pain and try to keep patients realisitcally controlled to be able to walk, sit in a chair, participate in rehab etc.

Take a proactive role, ignore snooty people at the hospital and expect better care.
    Good luck
  • advice Pettynme!!!! Very helpful for me too, since I MIGHT have another surgery after the first of the year!
    ~I have had ups and downs with nurses. Like I had stated before my night nurse was AWESOME! My day nurse...not so much. I seen her standing outside of my room and talking with another nurse. I heard there convo and it was all personal stuff and not patient/work related at all. Anyway I was pushing my nurse button to try to get someone in before I vomitted bile all over myself. I even tried to call out to her. My voice was hoarse but I know they heard me because they looked at me and moved over about 5 feet where I couldn't see them. I still heard them talking about their husbands, kids, daughters wedding yada yada.
    My hubby had the same type of experience after his spinal cord surgery. Night nurse was awesome day was not so much.

Anyway! I would like to say that I have the utmost respect for nurses and doctors. I could do their jobs especially nurses. Nurses deal with so much stuff and sometimes patients are too demanding and I feel for them. HOWEVER the day nurse I had was just horrible. Possibly a bad week or whatever which we are all entitled too. I do not hold a grudge for my past experiences with the one day nurse I had. I still go in with a positive attitude and with the attitude that the nurse will and wants to help me.
    So Cherry please do not hold past experiences against your new nurses. If they get that vibe that you are crabby because of other experiences and are rude (which I am not saying you will be) BUT they may treat you the same way!!! My best advice is TREAT THOSE THAT ARE HELPING YOU LIKE YOU WOULD WANT YOUR MOTHER OR FATHER TO BE TREATED IF THEY WERE IN THEIR SITUATION!!!!
    THANK YOU TO ALL OF THOSE IN THE MEDICAL FIELD THAT ARE HERE TO HELP!!!!!
  • Thanks!
    You're right those nurses were very rude ignoring you to have chit chat. We do chit chat but there is a time and place.

I doesn't matter "how" a patient is although it's nicer if their not rude etc but when you're sick sometimes we can't help it & that's just the way it is. Sometimes I had to remind myself of that...lol

It is a greulling job at times but especially floor nurses we chose that so if they don't like it there are alot of other nursing things to do.

Some things that may help
    -discuss your plan of care w/your nurse when you are admitted
    -when you call consolidate your requests if you call every 5 minutes(not because you're sick) for ice 1 time 5 minutes later something for pain, get the pain med then ask for a coke...UGH. Now if you do this cause you're getting situated and it's not all the time that's one thing but trust me if you have a bad habit of this it's what I call the boy who cried wolf.( For me that is) so I have to tell myself this could be "real bad" this time, I can't take a chance.....

-be proactive, like I said before meaning ask questions about your care, meds, plan for rehab., participate in rehab. If your IV has blown twice and the nurse is again being lazy ask for it to be changed and if she can't ask if someone else can if you have to explain the circumstances (calmly) to a charge nurse do so.
    -be realistic...if your nurse is MIA and there is comotion on the floor there may be someone crashing and that above else will trump anything going on at the time. Not that your needs are not important but if you were coding clearly you would want everyone's attention ;)

So just some ideas for your patient/nurse relationship but again you are the sick one and should expect great care. We don't have a job w/out you. It doesn't matter what kind of week the nurse is having,although sometimes its hard to separate work from home, but everyday they are your nurse?...no

so take care and yeah go in with a fresh start & I'm sure if you try some of this stuff you will be pleased.
  • Thanks pettynme...i have had maybe 2 good nurses over the last 10 years...and ta joy...sorry if i touched a nerve or close to home...however i said all nurses "HERE" were a joke.
    Anyways, pettyme. Thanks bunches, im sure your info will help...i just hope my doctors listens and or gives me a choice? I know no one or nothing but my doctor..never met my anesthesiologists either...ever... Just hope to come out of it in less pain! My boyfriend BTW said last time the nurses came in 45min to a half hour after HE would push the button cause i was screaming and crying and in so much pain it was ungodly! I almost woulda wanted to die at that moment...I understand there are more people than just "ME" :B :W but he bought went ta take a look to find out what was up! I was supposed to get a bar with chains to help myself up to bathroom. They NEVER brought it....i had no control over my muscles back there...couldn't get up or ever flip over with ought it being miserable...TRUST me i could have gotten ALOT better help ~X( maybe this next time?
  • I slightly remember having to read info about the pump and signing something saying I would now allow anyone to push my button and the nurses explained it to my husband as well. My husband is against pain meds anyway so he wouldn't push it if I'd asked. I kept a pretty good grip on that thing anyway so I don't think anyone would have a chance to take it away from me.
  • I think that was very offensive. What do you do for a living?
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • need to apoplgize. like I said it's not the patient's who irk me it's the nurses...

10 YEARS...is that the only hospital? or does that include all of them? Yikes!!!

& yes someone should have checked on you, that's so aweful, and I've had the surgery. After they took the catheter out there was no way I was going all they way to the pot, so I asked for a bedside commode. Looking back now the pot wasn't that far but then? good heavens it seemed like an eternity! :))

Bless your heart, and you're right your not necessarily looking for surgery and someone might say that's not an option but the same someone should help you along with a plan if it continues not to improve.
    have a good day
  • Dont know why whoever asked what I do for work? I have been out of work for 2 years now because of this B.S. I have worked most jobs imaginable. I have worked for a guy who was paralized from the neck down...included feeding,changing, feeding,cooking,making sure his breathing tube was clean and inplace.Even cleaned the house!I have worked in factories...doing hard physical labor, worked in the fields detasseling,drivin a tractor,ive been a craft artizan.My last job was as a ast. Mgr. at a gas station for the last 3 years before all this happened. I have done everything i could to work, temp jobs, 2-3 jobs at a time....Im still only 28...What about you now? :W
    Anyways (|: I made a list for my doctor on the 18th. I do love my doctor,he listens to me better than anyother ive ever had. I have at least 20 questions,even stupid ones....my newest fear is awareness during surgery! Found out that 1 in 500 people have a chance of waking up during a surgery and not being able to move or let others know they are awake, they are still paralized,but the anestisia is wore off! Im scarred to death of this.... :jawdrop:
    My doctors nurse has cut my morphine back...they want me on less so maybe it will work better this next time...i dunno i take a big dose now it onlt makes me sick...it dont help the pain that great....and ive stopped taking them along time ago...so its not a tollerance thing...I HATE MORPHINE...the vicadins i prob. couldnt live withought...but morphine suX. Like 28 more days till surgery...yea me!
    And one last thing...any nurses who are nurses because they really want to help people...I LOVE YOU! I have seen alot of nurses ,especially around here have seen so many women and men going to school for it and what not only because they want the money and or job security! I have heard that from so many people its scarry! My kids fathers mother is a nurse...she broke into my records to try and get dirt on me for her son. She was a nurse at comunity counseling. My step cousin "was" working at the hospital here in town...I had to have an abortion for medical reasons about 6 years ago. My grandmother from the compleet OPOSITE side of the family was put into the hospital for an infection in her leg...a weird infection from staph. it attacked the metal plate in her leg. Anyways, this so called nurse thought it would be fun to tell my grandmother about it and sheerly try and ruin whatever dignity I had left! I got her lil happy ass fired...I went also one time to a OBGYN to have cancer cells froze off. They didnt have enough of the freezing solution in the tank to do it...I was already in so much anxiety from everything related to this...did not holler, just started crying slightly....the DOCTOR himself, starts to holler at me saying my medical card public aid didnt help pay him enough to keep his tank filled. then he asked me hatefully what he was supposed to do? I was mortified. Ive seen this doctors house...MFKR, gets paid fine!!! I assure you. Have been told by "PAIN MANAGEMENT" doctors have told me ther is nothing they are willing to do to help with my back pain...NOTHING...or they wanted to send me to BS. phys. therapy that made my back worse....my bone was grinding everytime i moved! my own previous family doctor didnt wanna help in no way shape or form...always just referred me to another doctor...even when it was just for skin related crap! So many doctors seem so scarred anymore to help patients, seems they wanna bandage a severed arm...not just with me...with so many people.
    The choice i have of mostly doctors is limited. I only have insurance thanks to Political comments edited by moderator paulgla..It is insurance for mothers. a form of public aid...embarrasing but needed. I used to have cervical cancer,worked through it, paid my taxes and dues. Then my back thing happened and now i can not work, cant get any insurance on my own, I get no unemployment...never have...hoping for disability just for the time ive been out of work. But the only guaranteed court date i can get is """sometime""" before April of 2010! so that will be 5 years maybe withought income. I am not able nor allowed to work, I do what i can scrapping metal,selling things,family and friends...very humiliating...but hey whats a poor, white, crippled girl gonna do? ~X( 8} Christmas is coming...my lil girl might not get much from me if anything...she will have a good Xmas, however thats thanks to my parents...i wanna stay in bed christmas and cry...cant get no one nutn this year, if i get anything at all i will feel like such a P.O.S.
    Thanks again to all who have tried to help. :S :(
  • I had the catheter removed because im freaked out with anyone down there...freaked out freaked out! even for dr.'s visits....they say its cause ive had bad doctors who freaked me out while haveing cervical biopsys...also from former sex abuse...so he made sure it was gone before I woke up. my surgery was almost 9hrs though!so i know was needed but was upset about knowing i was gonna have it anyways! I wanted to get up and go pee a few hours after surgery. they tried making me get on a bed pan "the nurses" and i told them i couldnt do it...one cause i didnt care for people to watch me pee...and 2 because it was impossable!!!! I couldnt bend over and balance on that thing...i tried but it was mortifying! The nurses were being huffy casue i said i couldnt sit that way it hurt and was crying...seriously mean...my bf agrees they were ticked. anyways I remember saying quote, "FK it", "im going in the bathroom". My boyfriend helped me up, the nurses watched...i went and peed. They never fed me for days...even when i requested food...or they once brang some while i was asleep...was cold and nasty when i got it hours!!! later....my family fed me mostly...would go get stuff out of machines or cafetiria....ok guess thats all now??? LOL...lot to say today...wound up i guess? sorry bought any spelling errors....spell check out of order. think b/f deleeted it? #o :))(
  • Dont know what it is to you what i do? However I have been out of work almost 2 years now because of all this crap thats happened! Before that i have done most every job imaginable...including taking care of people...sorry if i offended you or whatever, but cant make everyone happy...I say things as i see them...weather you agree with me or not doesnt matter...i still see things as i see em. glad someone has had good experiences with nurses or whomever....god knows I have not. X(
  • to profile now...so maybe peeps can see whats breaking...everythings kinda shifting around all weird now! the screws were all straight in a nice row...now, not so much! :''(

• My heart goes out to you. You have been through a lot of traumatize events. Events that would break the average person. From what you have written, I know that you are a survivor. You have survived abuse, mistreatment, and you are battling against poverty, not of your making. Nobody asks to be disabled and to lose their livelihood. No one can blame you for your fear and resentment for past hospital treatment. It looks like you ran into the wrong people to take care of you when you needed caring and compassion from the right hospital staff. Please know that everyone has good and bad experiences, and the people entrusted with our care are human and make mistakes. No one is perfect. But I sympathize with your plight and recognize that you have suffered misfortunes.
    I can say that with my first back surgery, the morning nurse didn't give me any meds and I cried when I had to go to the bathroom. The doctor was right outside, and he thought I was in some over emotional state, and told the nurse to give me Xanax. I had gone through 8 hours of no pain meds, mind you. Then after a couple of more hours did I get pain pills. The nurse said that she has patients screaming at her for pain pills all the time, but in my case I was not one of those. But yet I went through 8 hours with no pain meds after having surgery the day before.
    With my last fusion, I had a PCA. I was already on Fentanyl patches prior to surgery, and the anesthisiologist made sure the nurses put a new patch on according to my shedule. From the little that I remember, the nurses were always in and out checking on me. They were very attentive and nice, and made sure I was comfortable. I always make a point to befriend staff because they are the first line of my care. I always thank them for any little thing because I want them to want to help me.
    Erin, I just want to say that I understand where you coming from, and that you are venting out your frustrations and pain. I pray that you encounter good doctors and nurses in caring for your back troubles. Keep hanging on, you are a fighter.
  • My heart goes out to you. I am sorry for everything you have and are going through. You sound very strong and will make it through all this. It may not seem it now but things can only get better, right?

I was too afraid of waking up while under anesthia. There was a movie about that and I watched it a couple of days by coincidence before surgery. I have family history or malignant hyperthermia so I was unable to get the same anesthesia others get. I can't remember what I got but they said there was a chance I could wake up as you described so they overdosed me on purpose but made no guarantees. I don't think I woke up as I don't remember anything or have bad dreams.

I too asked a lot of silly questions. I even asked if he had anybody poop on the table during surgery or if I should take a laxative and clean my system out. He laughed and said that the anesthesia shuts down your system and he has not had anyone poop on him yet and hopes it never happens. I am one of those people who think of the crazyest things and don't think twice to ask.

I am not looking forward to this xmas either. My disability doesn't cover the bills and my husband hasn't been working too much lately since the economy sucks and people don't have money to have houses built or new roofs put on (he's a carpenter) so I will not be able to do as much as I usually do for my 2 kids this year. I will be able to pay the cable bill so it won't be getting it shut off so they will still have internet, electric, a warm house and groceries but I can't wrap them up. I guess I shouldn't complain because my family has been very blessed and we have a lot of things that people are not able to have. As long as we have each other, a warm house and food on the table that should be enough. I just have to teach my kids that LOL. My daughter is very compassionate and understanding but my son is only 6 and is still learning.
  • Reading all these posts about poor Nursing care has really made me sad. I have only been an RN for 3 years, but truly went into Nursing to provide the best patient care possible. I treat all my patients like I would treat my own family members.

I have had migraines for many, many years, so I like to think I am very aware of pain management. We are taught "pain is what the patient says it is", but many of my colleagues think patients are drug seekers or exaggerating.

During my recent ACDF, I received poor Nursing care from the day shift. Not that I was expecting any special treatment, but I at least wanted my pain meds on time (I had to wait 1.5 hours for post-op meds) and not have to wait 45 minutes to go to the bathroom.

Yes, many Nurses are wonderful people, who genuinely care about others. But, some enter the profession for the wrong reason. Also, unsafe Nursing ratios make a huge difference in patient care.

Please speak up about poor hospital care... ask to speak with the Charge RN or Director of Nursing. YOU deserve the best care possible!!!

Elle
  • I had my share of poor nurses and I was sure to speak up and say either get me someone with better bedside manner or tell her to do her job with some compassion. I would just keep pressing that button until you get what your are entitled to and that's good pain management. I was fortunate to have great nurses that were prompt with my pain management. There were other things I had some issues with that I had to keep asking for such as some hygiene products. I dumped that stupid measuring thing that's they put in the toilet to measure your urine when I was trying to dump it and it went all over the floor. I was so embarrassed and it took forever to get someone to clean it up. I didn't want the nurses to help me in the bathroom so I guess it was partly my fault. I was constantly drinking cranberry juice and apple juice as well as tons of water so I was peeing all the time. It was apparrant that I was not having kidney problems =)) I was so thirsty for some reason and I also had a sore throat so I kept eating ice chips.
  • Just had someone on here a one day member named dingbat, write me a private message saying to not be such a drama queen and ill get better help...Hmmm :? :T First of...everyones pains diffrent...being compleetly ignored and in so much pain I would pass out from it...I was out of it from the drugs and simply out of it...LMAO...they musta been one of my nurses? I SIMPLY LOVE how some are so quick to judge badly others...Thought this was for support...lol...People/humans as a whole...really make me sad anymore. Im not supposed to have drama during more pain than i could of ever imagined,on a ton of meds that dropped my blood pressure to this day...yet dont have drama!? Guess thats like telling someone whos lost a loved one not to cry...telling a crippled person to suck it up...walk anyways...I dunno all...sorry so long...just sometimes...yes when people are EDITED it irks me to no end! ~X( /:) :$
  • nm
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement