Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back surgery-Not sure what to do

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Have been told I need a laminectomy with a spinal fusion. Does anyone have any experience with a laminectomy alone?? L4-5 I have pain in my right calf and weakness in my left foot and of course low back pain. Is there any benefit in trying a laminectomy without a fusion. Thanks--your knownledge and experience on this topic would be appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• It really depends on the condition of your disc. If its just a herniation that is pinching the nerve, it is possible you could have just a laminectomy... If the disc is degenerated and isn't very good, then it won't solve the problem, and the laminectomy can make the spine more unstable, which they don't want to do. So your diagnosis is the main factor there...
  • rather depends on what they are trying to treat and acheive by offering you the surgery.

Good luck
  • Just off MI TLIF last Tuesday 25 Nov 08.
    Could not be better! 9.9 out of 10.
    Wanted to post cause seems as if the negative clinical results are predominant here - there is hope.
    Not to say anyone is whining, positive there are horribly negative outcomes and plenty of reasons to complain.
    Luckily, I have none.
    Find a MI Doc, get in good shape B4 surgery, and go for it...
    I waited in pain too long.
    God Bless and good luck to all.
  • I'm happy to hear you are another success story. There are quite a few around here. I also am one of them. Most people who feel better and are no longer living in pain don't come to the boards anymore... So that tends to be why a lot of negative stories float around here.

Fusion should be the LAST resort.. She told me she doesn't have disc problems, so... From what she is describing to me, I agree with her Neurosurgeon with solely the Laminectomy. Better to start out small and move up than go for the whole shabang and end up with more problems in the future.
  • MRI/Mylo/XRay should tell the tale.
    Surgeon spent XX years in school fo sumpthin.
    Understood her surgeon recommended Lam & SF.
    BLUF:
    1. Get smart - do your research. Ask LOTS of questions.
    2. Get in shape prior. Older you are, more it counts.
    3. PMA - get your head right for success. It works.
    4. Go MI if you have the opportunity.

Again - buena suerte!
  • Forgot to say I agree lam alone is better if it is clinically indicated.
    Problem is, if you get the lam & no joy, gotta do it TWICE.
    Tough decision.
  • Laminectomy and Fusion are two VERY different surgeries with VERY different recoveries. Also, a laminectomy doesn't take a toll on your adjacent discs which increases your chance of future surgeries. Fusion = LAST resort. Ask any well accredited doctor who is board certified...
advertisement