Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hi there I'm new

susiessusie Posts: 152
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, my name is Susan. I have been reading your posts for some time. I have scoliosis and I'm 49. I know I should have surgery years ago but didn't feel as if I could just check out of my life long enough for surgery and recovery.
I am having an anterior fusion and then a week later a posterior fusion along with a discectomy. My surgeries aren't until Feb. 24th which is the first one. I had a little babysitting business which I had to close. My dr.
told me in Oct. my babysitting days were over as of that day and sent me to a surgeon. I filed for social security disability but realize it is very difficult to get. I have a good husband, a good surgeon, a good therapist - the mental health kind and an attorney. I have found a lot of encouragement from reading your posts. My Surgeon says he cannot totally correct my problem but even though I will always have some pain, it won't be anything like it is now. Thanks for listening, Susan
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine-health.Good luck with your surgery in February......Hope you get approved for SSI too.i have been on ssi since 2003,it was hard to get,had to wait 3 years....
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are headed for surgery, but you are very smart to be asking your questions now. you need to prepare for coming home and your recovery. :? check out the top of the forum under "Treatments" for a look at your procedures. have a look around and make yourself at home. good luck to you! Jenny :)
  • You may want to check out the surgery section as there is a list of post op needs that will be very helpful to you. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I will look up those post op suggestions.
    It's something I am trying to do well, think ahead
    and be prepared as I can. I have already been to
    the medical supply place - My Dr. wanted me to go
    ahead and get a wheelchair about a month ago, she
    thought I could do little things like work a little
    around the house if I could sit down instead of
    doing things standing up. When the medical supply
    person was putting the cushions on the chair (which
    I haven't used much, but it's nice to pull up to the
    kitchen table - dining room chairs aren't very
    comfortable right now) he showed my husband how I
    can have it adjusted after surgery to where it will
    have a very straight back - I know I am not supposed to
    sit very long after surgery - did any of you guys use
    a wheelchair after your fusion surgeries? My Dr. just
    ordered this for my convenience - will I even use it
    after surgery? I also went ahead and bought the thing
    to take into the bathroom with handles - kind of like
    a walker - only to help a person use the bathroom.
    What is really puzzling me is being able to wash my
    hair if I can't shower? What do you do about that?
  • :) one solution i have for you the first few days is to use the "dry" shampoo. it doesn't do a bad job and you can do it in bed even. =D> there is a site on the "Back and Neck surgery" forum about post operative care. it might be just what you need. keep coming with those questions. i do know a "lift" on your toilet seat will be a big help. also a "grabber" to help you pick things up on your own. just a few more ideas! Jenny :)
  • Hi Susie:
    And welcome to the forum. We are the same age and looking at similar surgeries in 2009. It sounds like you have a great support group behind you. Keep posting and reading and like me you will find this site a comfort.
    Nana Shan :H
advertisement