Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

blood clots after back surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
has anyone developed blood clots after major lower back surgery.. my spin shifted a little 2 weeks after surgery and my doctor put me on bed rest for 2 weeks i developed a blood clot in my left leg about a week later. was in hospital for a week on levenox and coumidin. Now im home a nd just on coumidin. also my liver enzymes are a little elevated, has anyone been through this... help !!! very stressed..
Bill in ny
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear this.

I know that clots are common, more in back surgery. I am not too sure why...could be the posotion on the OR table or just the fact we lay still on the table for so long.

I am sure someone will step forward. You have found the right place to share your story!
  • I had a blood clot develop after having knee surgery. I was home a week after the knee surgery when the clot developed in my calf area and slowly moved up to the groin. I was hospitalized for 10 days while they dissolved the clot. Once home, I had to be on Coumidin for 6 months and had to have blood work done every week. My blood levels all came back to normal and there was no damage done to the liver.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • did not have surgery but has two blood clots in his leg. He was in the hospital for three days and talked them in to sending him home. I had to give him the shots of Lovenox in stomach twice a day and give him coumadin for 1 week. Now his coumadin levels are high enough that we stopped with the shots. This is the second time that he has had a blood clot (the first was from a messed up IV) and the docs say that he will need to stay on coumadin for life. I hate it because it seems that the coumadin is making him feel very achey and tired.
  • Unfortunately developing blood clots is a risk with any major surgery. The good news is your doctor found it before it developed into a pulmonary embolism.

I have not heard of the elevated liver enzymes with blood clots. Not sure how that correlates.

It is important that you stay on the coumadin and that you don't miss a dose. The reason the doctor will check your blood frequently is to make sure that it is staying thin, but not too thin. If the doctor adjusts your medication, try not to stress out about it. This is common. I know with me the doctor would increase my dose one week and decrease it the next. I worried about this until I spoke with a nurse who explained that this is normal, and that our diets can often affect our blood. Eating broccoli makes it thinner--another reason not to eat broccoli, lol.

Try not to be too stressed out about the clot, but keep an eye on how you are feeling. Remember to pump your ankles to keep the blood flowing. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions, as I was hospitalized with the DVT and then was back in the hospital a week later with pulmonary embolisms, so I understand what you are going through.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • That was helpful. thank you... so you had elevated liver enzymes also Dick ?

Bill
  • Hi Bill,
    Liver enzymes LFTs are affected by most medications. The liver is like a filter that cleanses the body so if there is a lot to cleans (anything artificial either foods, alcohol or meds) then it can make the liver enzymes elevated.
    It is not specific to blood clots but possibly to the Coumidin.
    If the results aren't way above normal then I wouldn't be concerned about it - leave that to the Dr to do.
    The liver is pretty clever at repairing itself when given the chance.
    A lot of people have what is called a "fatty liver" if they have lead a not so good lifestyle and when they change to a good diet and exercise they can revert the bad results to good.

Just keep your feet moving for the circulation, even if you are sitting one of those 'push cush' things can be really good. Clots are often formed by inactivity more then anything which is why ortho patients are usually given coumidin (or similar) in hospital.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • One more thing to worry about next surgery! Oh god! :jawdrop: How does one know if they have a blood clot? Im a hypocondriac <---"prob spelled wrong",on everything...Seriously...how does one know what to look for? :B :??
  • I am not a doctor but I have played doctor in my youth. I have had several blood clots over the years, one from a surgery, one from a broken foot, and two for no reason at all. They all started in my left calf muscle area. It felt like a bad cramp. It may also be warm and tender to the touch, might even have some swelling. The key for me was the soreness started to move up the back of the leg. Thats when I saw a doctor. The treatment is pretty simple, blood thinners, elevate the leg, and use moist warm heat.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • you'll know.. my leg swelled so much and was burning hot your leg gets very red also... if you keep moving after surgery you will be ok.....

BILL in NY
advertisement