Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

for all who had their surgery away from their city

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
how did you guys end up getting home since you aren't allowed to sit for a while aftr the surgery?? i am having my surgery done at a hospital 2 hrs away from my city where i live and am thinking about taking a medical van which has a bed in the back for cases like these. just wondering what you all did
advertisement

Comments

• Layed on my side in the back seat of my Sister's bimmer.
    Small car, 6 ft. guy, hard seats, 3 hour drive.
    Slept most of the way, so it wasn't too bad.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I'm about an hour away, I think I'll just put the seat all the way down in the back of our mini van. Hopefully my wife misses every bump. :))(
  • I was an hour and 15 minutes away from home. I was able to ride in the passenger seat put as flat as it would go. I used lots of pillows too. Bumps were not very fun, but I made sure the nurses gave me a dose of pain meds 30 minutes before I left, that helped alot. I dont think I could have made it into the back seat, I didnt want to get stuck,lol. My car is midsized, not low and not high like a van. I had no trouble getting in and out.

I am sure you will do just fine!
    Shell
  • and was transported by ambulence so I got to lie down :D . Mind you those ambos dont have great suspension.
    I was relieved as the hospital was over an hour from home but the rehab was only 3 minutes from my place.
    Sara O:)
  • didnt go home for a few days after surgery anyways! when i did...45min drive home...i held onto a handle on the inside of the car near the roof...still hurt so bad months after it all i would hold onto the roof of the car with my hand out the window...was summertime so could roll it down then.any time whomever drove and hit a pot hole or anything @ all...even turning corners sucks...not to mention there are multiple train tracks all around here...holding onto something up high helps because your arm and elbow act as a shock absorber for it all! I still do it sometimes now when b/f drives! hes wild...i can drive on my own now...however cant go flying over the tracks so much anymore...cant turn corners too fast...My surgery was in my lower back...i have 6 screws...2 are breaking as we speak...and they are planning to take em out in 33 days...i brought my pillow last time...noy an ordinary pillow...a down stuffed, "king size" it helped alot to have even if just to put under my butt..and or in the curvature of my spine. I can not lay on my back!!!never really could...my screws are kinda poppin out maybe 1/4 of a cm? to a half...ount sound like much...but still sucks! :''( Unless you go home that day i wouldnt worry about it...youll know how u wanna do in once you get to that point...i dout you will be shy...and if they do send u home that day...I wouldnt imagine it would matter too much? ask your doctor but i dont think so...BRING FLUFFY LARGE PILLOW! @) LoL...goodluck to ya! >:D<
  • I spent 5 days in the hospital after my fusion. I rode home in a minivan and I frankly don't remember much of the ride thank goodness. Fortunately my drive is 30 minutes without heavy traffic. Have the nurse give you medication before you are discharged from the hospital.
  • yeah just went for my pre-admitting appointment today and im just going to either lay in the back seats or recline to passenger seat to the max while loaded on pain meds
  • ...dosed quite heavily before being discharged from the hospital. My ride was about 45 minutes and don't remember much of it after about 5-10 minutes. :))(
  • simply bring the pillows as i said...youll be there a while unless it isnt a major opperation...trust me youll be useing your arms alot more...my arms got real tough after the surgery...brace yourself with em..lift yourself up if nessicary? also get the morphine shot in your butt before you leave... :) :> PILLOWS PILLOWS PILLOWS
  • ahaha yeah thanks for all the different opinions escpecially with the morphine shot in the butt 8}
  • My home was 2 hours away on curvy, country roads half of the way. I had my 360 PLIF on my L5-S1 late on a Thursday night (surgeon kept having emergencies.). I was "supposed" to be in the hospital until Sunday or Monday. But I did so great, they leg me go at lunch on Saturday!! I was in shock! Luckily, the hospital had a few rooms just like hotel rooms available at a huge discount for patients. We quickly got one of those rooms and spent Saturday night.

So on Sunday, I rode in the backseat of our sedan with lots of pillows. I did not sleep much, unfortunately, but it was OK. I was very very glad to get home! (Hubby also took corners really really slow so I was not pushed into each door with reactive centrifugal force.)
  • I am curious. Is it not compulsary to wear seatbelts in the US? I know it is illegal to lie down across the back seat of a car here in OZ.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • I had my Xlif at the VA Hospital in San Francisco and had to fly 13 hours back to Guam just a couple days after the surgery. One of the most excruciating points in my life...could barely walk.

It's been about 2 weeks and am regretting ever getting the procedure done.
  • hi all,
    as most of you are aware i live in ireland and had to travel to england by plane for my op.
    thankfully i can say everything was sweet to the beat!!!
    i was well dosed up with meds.
    got special treatment in airport and a good seat on the plane with plenty off leg room so all went fine.
    drive home from the airport was also fine then straight to bed!!!

LOVE P

PS GOOD LUCK
advertisement