Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI Injection vs Epideral

MingMMing Posts: 1,127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Spinal Injections
I was wondering if anyone has tried any or both SI Injection or epidural? I went to PM doc today. I was supposed to get a medial branch block yesterday but didn't due to insurance issues. PM doc said that wouldn't help me anyway cuz it seems the pain is coming from sacroilliac area so he is going to try SI injection on right side next week but also mentioned an epidural depending on how SI goes. The weird part is that my left side in the SI area is in excrutiating pain after my appt with him. I've never had problems with left side before like this. I am thinking it's from the bending and leg lifting and bending and all the other movements they made me do. It's just really weird that it flared up my left side. I took 3 vicoprofen and am laying in bed waiting for it to kick in. Has anyone had releif from either injection or experienced excrutiating pain in an area that didn't really bother them after an examination? I called the office and left a message with his assistant to let her know how much pain I was in. I don't know if I should ice or heat or both. I did ice once. I am starting to get sleepy so I better get off here for now. I) I) I)
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Ming, Yes I have had numerous SI and epidural injections. They both helped for a while but in the end surgery was the only option for me. I found that once I had the surgery I have not had ANY SI joint pain at all. NONE!
    I guess the pain and inflamation from my bad L4/L5 disc caused it all. I am almost a month out feel wonderful, like I can be back to normal but I know that takes time to heal and fuse. My PM did a good job of holding out the inevitable I just wish I would not have had some many steroids in me if surgery was the only yhing to save me. Good Luck to you Ming!
  • Thanks Pika,

I had the surgery already unfortunately it didn't offer 100% releif so there is obviously something else going on. Hopefully this injection will help. If not I have to get nerve conduction test. My dad is 54 with peripheral neuropathy and they haven't tested me for that yet and I guess it's genetic and I have some signs of it. I haven't done much research on it but maybe I should.

I am glad to hear that the surgery was a success for you. Take care and don't over do it.
  • It's so funny that I asked this question exactly 1 year ago. I'm writing to let you all know that I will be finding out the difference between the 2 injections. I've already had the SI joint injection and this did not help. I'm having an ESI done on Monday. I hope this helps.
  • Time flies where you're having fun....

I have had both and didn't see much difference, other than the location of the needle, of course. And neither made any difference with my pain --

Hope you have better luck than I did!

Gwennie
  • I had no pain releif from this injection at all and it actually created more pain. As soon as he injected the stuff I felt pressure in my sciatic nerves mostly left leg which was rare before. The pain went all the way down my leg and I've had increased issues with my sciatic pain on both sides as well as lumbar pain across my whole back.

I'm scheduled for another injection next month Jan 11th or 12th. I hope it's successful the 2nd time. I've heard it can take several attempts.

At this point I would have to agree with Gwennie. I see no difference between the two except the injection site.
advertisement