Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

15 days post op NO energy

VickiVVicki Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am recovering from a lumbar fusion/synovial cyst on Nov 20th. I am doing pretty well except for the fact that I have no stamina, am constantly drained, and going nowhere fast. Any suggestions? I am taking B12 injections, vitamins,iron and still sleeping and dragging my butt around. I havent been outside either.I know walking is important but i must have the energy to do that....HELP!!!
advertisement

Comments

• Don't feel bad. Your body just went thru something major. Sleeping is your body's way of making you relax so you can heal. Just roll with it ;). You are still fairly new out of surgery. I was still sleeping alot 4 weeks out (partly thanx to the percs). I'm 3 months out and there are still days where all I want to do is sleep and lounge (and I usually do LOL). Give yourself more time to heal...I'm sure you will be just fine.
  • I agree with Brucie, you have been through major surgery and it is your bodies way of saying 'give me a chance to catch up".
    Yes walking is important but it doesn't have to be 5 miles a day. Start slowly which could be just around the garden a few time several times a day and build up from there.
    Are you taking Vit c with your Iron tablet?

It does get easier :D MAybe any pain killers are making you lethargic. Are you taking anything?

Blessings Sara O:)
  • I was going to ask the same thing, are you still taking pain meds. I've heard the anisthetia takws time to wear off too. I don't know if that's just a myth or if it stays in your body for some time. You should check with your doctor about the loss of energy and see if he offer any suggestions. If you've been cleared to do some like walking it may help you to force yourself to do some to get those endorphines pumping. It's easier said than done as I know I should be pushing myself to walk but can't push myself past the pain and tiredness.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • . . . is overwhelming and makes you feel depressed. I'm 3 weeks post-surgery and still am dealing with intermittent bouts of fatigue. One day this week, I never got out of bed. It's lessening. Two good days, one bad day.

Hang in there! Change will come!
  • I know that mentally you want to be up doing things, but you have to remember that what you had done was MAJOR surgery. Your body has to have time to recover! Recovery from this will take a while! Be good to yourself and have patience...it will get better in the next couple of months. >:D< >:D<
  • Your sleep/rest/work cycle will be off for several months. It's a combination of your body healing and medications your taking. It took me almost 4 months to get back to a normal sleep pattern. Your strength will come back with time. Just try doing a little more each day, but don't over do it.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I'm 7 weeks out from my surgery and I too still have days that I don't want to get out of my recliner. It's amazing the different things we go through after surgery - energetic days, no-energy days, frustrating days (when you just want to be back to normal), depressed days, etc. etc. We all go through it, so don't worry. It really does take time to heal. Take care of yourself and rest.
  • I actually felt like an agrophobic- who never leaves the house due to anxiety and fear. My husband took me for a drive- a 15 min. one- and i was so uncomfortable to be out amongst the living. I guess this is all normal but it certainly did not feel that way. I want to regain my strength but I guess ill have to put in the blotto time of doing not much. thanks for your words. I appreciate them.
    Vicki
  • It takes time to recover from such a major surgery. I am 5 months post op and have my good days and bad, unfortunately mostly bad. I'm still in a lot of pain and on pain meds so I know that contributes to my tiredness. There are days that I sleep most of the day. I hate knowing I have to get up and go somewhere first thing in the morning because I am so tired, sore and take longer to get ready. I try to schedule all my appts between 10-11am. My husband gets up and gets the kids going for school in the morning. He will only do so if I set out his clothes the night before, make the coffee and set the timer and load dishwasher and set to wash at night so his coffee mug will be clean in the morning. Sometimes it's just easier for me to get up with the little guy (6 yrs old) and get him ready and then go back to bed once the bus leaves. My 12 year old daughter is really good at getting up and getting herself ready. She gets up at 5:00 am so she can have the house to herself and have peace and quiet. She will help me get her brother ready if I ask too.

Hopefully, you have a supportive and understanding family.
  • Vicki,

Well, I had an almost perfect surgery (three-level fusion) with an easy recovery, and guess what? After 7 months post-op my stamina is still not back to its previous level. It gets better every months, but then I think I am back to normal, and try to do more, next minute I have to sit down because I am so tired. Of course, each month I get older too. But what it boils down to is that a surgery saps you of a lot of energy, and it takes a long time to completely recover.

Try to do your walking earlier in the day when you don't feel so tired, and take several small walks instead of a long one. Above all, be patient, it will take time to go back where you were before, except that, hopefully, you will not experience the same problems you had before surgery.

Good luck and keep up your spirit!

Kin
  • to the kiddies park to walk to start with. I have several really close to home but I could do laps of the play equipment on the cycle track for kids. It was probably only 100 metres per lap but it made it easy to build up. Plus there were lots of seats available for when I needed to rest.
    As time went on I could progress to a real walking track but the kiddies one was great to start with.
    Just a thought in hope that you have one near you.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • I had a 6 hour surgery (PLIF/Cyst and decompression) and lost more blood than normal and am facing the same type of issues as you. My typical day involves waking up, doing some light chores, sitting for 30 - 40 mins, moving around some more etc. with reclining inbetween. I've only gotten up and "dressed" all day twice so far! Only walked a couple of times outside of in and around the house. And lately I get so frustrated with myself that I start trying to push myself. Don't do what I did yesterday! I really messed up. Don't fret! Listen to your body.

Yesterday, I actually woke up feeling a little better and thought I could do alot more, like Xmas shopping, grocery shopping, tidying the house (all with my husband's help and almost died with pain last night. Boy did I learn my lesson. I had both my kids naturally plus was back to work less than 2 weeks after a complete hysterectomy so I thought I could "will" myself to breeze through this surgery as well. STUPID ME!

The moral of the story is to let your body be your guide. When you are ready for more, you will feel like doing more. Just, once again, don't be stupid like me!!!!!!!

Keep your chin up. One day we'll look back on this and consider this recouperation one of the bravest things we've ever had to do. Kathy in Atlanta
  • WOW I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD BLOG BUT I JUST HAD TO POST. 14 DAYS POST OP. SYNOVIAL CYST REMOVAL/DECOMPRESSION FROM SPINAL STENOSIS AND A CO-FLEX DEVICE INSERTED. MY SCAR IS HEALING GREAT ... BUT MY ENERGY LEVEL IS COMPLETELY SAPPED.. I UNDERSTAND HOW YOU ALL FEEL AS I DID ONE DAY LOTS OF ENERGY AND ONE NIGHT OF HORRIFIC PAIN.. I HAVE HAD NECK FUSION AND LOWER LUMBAR LAMINECTOMY.. I THOUGHT FOR SURE I WOULD BE UP AND ABOUT OR AT LEAST HAVE SOME ENERGY.. SO GLAD THERE ARE BLOGS OUT THERE TO SHARE ...I JUST GOOGLED THIS AND I AM HAPPY TO SEE I AM NOT ALONE...
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,233
    Hello LadymarlowLow!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• jodieddieojjodieddieo Royal Oak, MIPosts: 18

WOW I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD BLOG BUT I JUST HAD TO POST. 14 DAYS POST OP. SYNOVIAL CYST REMOVAL/DECOMPRESSION FROM SPINAL STENOSIS AND A CO-FLEX DEVICE INSERTED. MY SCAR IS HEALING GREAT ... BUT MY ENERGY LEVEL IS COMPLETELY SAPPED.. I UNDERSTAND HOW YOU ALL FEEL AS I DID ONE DAY LOTS OF ENERGY AND ONE NIGHT OF HORRIFIC PAIN.. I HAVE HAD NECK FUSION AND LOWER LUMBAR LAMINECTOMY.. I THOUGHT FOR SURE I WOULD BE UP AND ABOUT OR AT LEAST HAVE SOME ENERGY.. SO GLAD THERE ARE BLOGS OUT THERE TO SHARE ...I JUST GOOGLED THIS AND I AM HAPPY TO SEE I AM NOT ALONE...

Hi LadyMarlowLow, I'm 16 days post op with 2 level Laminectomy and Disectomy L4-S1. I'm having the same struggles! This morning I felt pretty good and decided to walk outside, got down 7 houses and back and the pain in my leg really amped up. Ended up laying down and sleeping for 2.5 hours after and I'm still laying in bed. I really thought I'd be feeling a lot better by now but this website has been such a blessing! Good reminder that we had major surgery and there's a reason my dr said 6 weeks with full restrictions. I'm more of an instant gratification kind of person who doest sit still very often so this is really hard for me. I know it will be so worth it in the end though.
    Good luck to you in your recovery!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.