Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

360 degree spinal fusion L5 S!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 2 weeks out from my fusion. I am up moving around -
No back pain - it is unbelievable - i have surgical pain which will go away after a while - I have started walking and tomorrow I start a 2mile a day routine per my surgeon who was very impressed with my progress.

I wish i would have done it sooner.

Kimberly
advertisement

Comments

• I am glad that your fusion went well! That is great!!! Why did you need to have the fusion?
  • HeidiLynn,

I had a spondy fracture at L5 - herniation to bone on bone at L5 S1

the fracture was broken all the way through

It was an intense surger - I had an allergic reaction to the morphine and got very ill. Can't believe I am doing so well.

I had a great compassionate doctor.

• Happy to hear your surgery went well :)

I also had a 360. I'm 2 months out and doing... Alright. I was doing better from 2 weeks to 4 weeks, then went a little downhill... But I get to start physical therapy soon so hoping I can go back to feeling like I did then. 360's have a higher success rate than all other methods, so it's great to hear that you're doing well already. Keep us updated, I'd like to know how my fellow 360 spineys are doing :)
  • Lo said:
    360's have a higher success rate than all other methods
    Had not heard this - please let us know what the source is...

I see my doc next week and would like to discuss this with him, we're reviewing my MRI from this week (just had it on Wednesday) to finalize the procedure.
  • Not sure which exact websites, I do so much research that it's hard to remember what sites had what, but if I come across them again, I will send you the links. Basically the idea is just that the spine is more stable when secured 360 degrees . Statistically other techniques range from 50 to 90 percent success rates, and I guess 360s range up to 95 percent success rate. My surgeon's office does them for most of the patients requiring fusions. My surgeon specializes in image guided brain surgery, and spinal decompressions and fusions. The head NS there graduated first in his class from Boston University, has spoken at conferences all around the world, written book chapters, has multitudes of awards all over his walls, is of course, board certified, etc... They are a very, very accredited practice with very good success rates and references. I trust them completely. I had a 360 and am really glad I did. I feel much better than I did presurgery, and I am fusing already at 2 months post op.

This is just from my experience and my research. Everyone has their own beliefs and if they didn't, then of course, every surgeon would do the same thing and handle things the same way... But things vary from hardware, to approach, to physical therapy or none, to brace or not, etc... I had a 360, a brace, and will be starting P.T. and I wouldn't have it any other way. The fact that I'm fusing already at 2 months post op is enough of a confirmation that I did the right thing, for me! Hope your appt goes well!

BTW: Not all doctors are comfortable with approaching the spine from multiple angles. Some prefer to do PLIFs, others ALIFs, and some just don't want to put their patients through the added trauma of being opened up through both the front and the back, and don't want to extend the length of the surgery. It really depends on each surgeon's own training, their own comfort zones, their own beliefs... If you trust your surgeon, then that's all that matters. There is not one definitive source to find out which is the best in any given area, everything is just a person to person basis. Would be nice if there were just one right way to do things, lol, but hey. Anyway, I wish you the best.
  • That is wonderful that you are doing so well.
    Enjoy your walking though you may want to break that 2 mies into 4 x .5 miles to start with and build it up. Just see how you go.
    Keep us informed
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • I'm so glad you are doing so well. Walk, walk, walk. It is THE best thing you can do for recovery.

I had a 360 also, but entirely from my back. I also recommend a 360!!

Unfortunately, I have permanent nerve damage that was not helped, but my back is perfectly stabilized.

Keep us posted!

Cheri
advertisement