Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-Microdisectomy Spasms

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:??

My daughter, 22, had microdisectomy to remove a large piece of herniated disk from L-5 2 weeks ago today (12/6). Immediately after the surgery, her sciatica pain was gone and she was able to walk without a limp.

Six days after surgery she stopped taking the pain meds for the incision pain. That night she was awakened by sever muscle cramps in her arms and legs. They lasted for 2 hours before the Flexeril and Oxycodone put her to sleep.

This has happened every day but one since then - usually after she has fallen asleep. Sometimes the spasms (cramps) come in both legs nd arms; sometimes in one or another.

Preceding the surgery, when her sciatica was very bad, she experienced this on two separate occasions.

This only seems to occur when she is lying down resting (twice) and again between 12:30-2:30 a.m.

The surgeon said that he had to move the nerve around more than he wanted to in order to get all the disc pieces out; he was pleased that she reported no numbness in her legs or feet.

Is it possible that this is a nerve-related (irritation, etc.) phenomenon?

Thanks,
deano

advertisement

Comments

• Good to hear your daughter has had a successful surgery, I underwent the same op in Jan08 and am very pleased with the result. I had the night cramp on a couple of occassions in my left leg (the leg where all the nerve pain was originally), and I put it down to being able to get into a much deeper sleep than I could pre-op because I was no longer in nerve pain and my muscles had a chance to relax for the first time in a long time.

I have no idea if this makes any sense and it isn't something that a Dr told me, just my own theory. The night cramp went after a few weeks and never came back.

I hope your daughter continues to make good progress, I found pilates very helpful several months post op.

Take care

Cheeka
  • That is a very, very, very common occurrence post Microdiscectomy or regular Discectomy. Anytime a nerve is compressed and then decompressed, it can go haywire. In turn, your muscles tend to tense up in reaction to it. I had the same things happened to me after my MicroD in May 08. I wouldn't worry at all unless she gets any numbness and extreme weakness. Once she starts physical therapy I'm sure it will make a big difference. Also, has she asked about a nerve pain medication like Lyrica, Neurontin, or Pamelor? That might be worth a shot. I am also 22. Had my MicroD a week after I turned 22.
  • Why would you suggest a nerve pain medication when the issue being asked about is muscle spasm?

"C"