Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jumping out of my skin

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Newbie here. I'm overwhelmed reading all of the posts and needs some comments on my situation.

2 1/2 years ago, I had an L5/S1 discectomy for a herniated disc that was causing numbness in my left leg but not much pain. I had tried injections and pt with no relief. The surgery went great and after 6 months, all the numbness and use of my left leg returned.

2 weeks ago, I started having to really think about picking up my left leg. I made an appt. with my dr. for Dec. 9. 2 days ago (Dec. 4) I woke up to a numb leg. And it's not just numb; it feels like a lightening bolt is shooting down my leg every time I stand and walk. My dr. can't see me until Tuesday; he's booked with surgeries. But I did have an MRI yesterday; I thought I was going to jump out of my skin when I laid down. I cried like a baby through the entire thing, but I was determined to have it done.

So, now what? I'm trying to read as much as I can on-line, but I don't know where to start. I can't walk or stand without this terrible lightening bolt feeling; it's excruciating- 100 times worse than natural childbirth in my opinion. I can't sit or lay down comfortably. I have a 1 and 3 year old to take care of, and I feel like I just need some answers. What are some possibilities of what my dr. will tell me on Tuesday? Another discectomy, fusion? What's the usual progression of this type of thing?
advertisement

Comments

• So sorry to hear about this new problem Toi,

I don't try to guess what are the possibilities fro this development, as I am not a doctor. Just wanted to let you know that we are here to support you. Hang on there till Dec. 9, and let's hope that your doctor will be able to tell you then what is the cause of your problem. It must be hard especially when you have two young children who need your care, but meanwhile please, try to take it easy.

Let us know what was the dr's verdict.

Wishing you fast relief,

Kin
  • Oh Toi, I forgot to welcome you to Spine Health.

Kin
  • I'm sorry you're going through this. I really can't say what they would do in your circumstances. I've gone all conservative measures, injections and medications to help the pain before any surgery. But everyone is different and for the sake of any nerve damage they would do surgery. Please let us know your progress if you like after your MRI results. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome to SH.
    The first thing you need is some pain management. Can you go to a local Dr and get some pain meds to see you through till you see the surgeon. At least that way you can cope with the family over the next few days.
    It may be just a hiccup (I really hope so) but the surgeon will probably order a CT scan or an MRI, so again if you can have that done before you see him you will be ahead.
    Blessings SAra O:)
  • i had going on. they found a synovial spinal cyst at the site they had previously worked on.I was numb, no strength in the leg for a long time- it took quite a while for this thing to build up to where i was were u are at now. They did another fusion- no hardware for slippage and took out the cyst. I hope it is a cyst because its not a horrific surgery to get it out. Keep me posted as to you results, Pain meds in my case didnt touch this nerve pain but i did take it. made it somewhat easier. lets see what the scans show, keep calm. freaking only makes things worse.
  • Thanks everyone for your replies. I am really looking forward to getting answers on Tuesday. It sounds strange, but I'm hoping to go in, he'll say you need xyz surgery, and it will get fixed soon.

I'm a professional, symphonic musician, and this time of year is so busy for me (15 more concerts before Christmas). But if he can do anything to make me feel better, I'll do it as soon as possible. I just have to be able to walk and care for my kids!!!
advertisement