Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

long term use of opiates

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Spinal Stenosis
In 2 weeks I go in for surgery to correct spinal stenosis.
I take 80 mg oxycontin twice per day for pain. i am at this dose for one year. i have been prescribed this opioid for three years now starting from a dose of 10mg to the current 80mg. my use of the drug is legit.

will the docs have the ability to control my pain post surgery? i will be in acute pain as I come out of surgery. will my tolerance be a problem that cannot be overcome? or can it be solved safely?

Thanks [(
advertisement

Comments

• Perhaps you should talk to your Doctor before surgery. It will ease your mind and you won't worry about it. I know they continue to give pain meds even when you're going to physio so you'll be able to move a bit. Maybe you'll not have so much pain then you did before surgery? I haven't had surgery and I'm not a Doctor so can't give any answer other than this. When is your surgery? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I agree with Charry discuss this with your Dr.
    Only as you know I'v gone through tons of surgery. This latest one they had a very tuff time controlling my pain.
    Yes I will say they work with you in the hospital to get you on the right dosage for a few days then of course your back to your oral meds.
    So it is a good question because it does happen.
    Now I was only on soma, ultram, lortab and valium. It took over 24hrs to get me on the highest dose of dilaudid in the pain pump. Now this was even discussed while shceduling surgery, with the anthestologist and pre op that morning. That I had a very HIGH tolerence to pain medication. But of course they cannnot snow you at first they have to start you off on what is protocol. Then they work from there. Believe me they will have you comfy in the hospy in no time. Most of them are pretty good at staying on top of their toes.
    Also ask your dr if they want you to cut down before surgery. Alot say that, so that you have proper pain control when you come home.

Im just telling you this all by experience because I am living it right now. Not one med is touching any of my pain. Its not bad pain but very uncomfortable. And no one is helping at this point.

Hang in there!!! You will be in my thoughts for surgery and I hope it takes all your pain away or at least some of it. It did for me for the spondy!!
    I know Terri is awake again for the 2nd time so its a long post =)) =)) =)) Darn dog is not listening to me ;) ;)
  • as i have just mentioned last Nov 07 .i had a S1 bilateral operation .and i was worried that my pain would not be controlled because ..like you i take oxycontin and oxynorm for long term pain control
    when i went in to the hospital the anaesthetist and i had a chat about pain control ..i mentioned to her that i take a lot of oxycontin
    no problem she said ..they put me on a PCA device and gave me oral top up oxycodone as and when i required it ..as it happen i did not need much more than i already take .so don't panic!..the surgeon and anaesthetist will take care of you ..don't be shy if you are in pain TELL some one on the ward
    i take 280 mg of oxy in 24 hours
    STRAKER