Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nuerontin and Nerve Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
My Doctor recently, at my suggestion put me on Nuerontin and I have to say it has been a miracle drug for me. My pain didn't start orginally as nerve pain but the last few months has turned in to nerve pain. I have the burning foot thing going on and the pain runs down the right side of my back through my butt into my foot.

My question is why would it turn in to nerve pain? Was it because we didn't treat my original pain early enough and it caused further damage?

Regardless of how the pain started the nuerontin has brought my pain level down to almost a zero. I am taking 2700 miligrams a day now. Before each dose I can feel the pain creeping up but after I take my dose it goes away.
I am so happy to have finally found a non narcotic drug that is giving me such great results.

I can't believe that I had to be the one to suggest trying nuerontin. What exactly am I paying a docotr for?
advertisement

Comments

• I'm so glad the Neurontin is working for you! That sounds like a dream to get the pain level that low. I couldn't tolerate Neurontin, Lyrica or Cymbalta, unfortunately. I am very sensitive to some meds.

As for why it is nerve pain now, I don't know. I have permanent nerve damage and have really never found out why. Did I have it from the beginning? Did my surgeries cause nerve damage? Do I have too much scar tissue from improper healing? I can't believe my mind has gone blank here, but just after my first surgery when I was still recovering, my family doc put me on Levaquin, a 3rd tier antibiotic for a skin rash. It has a black box warning that it can cause nerve damage and that it should be given with caution.

Here is what I found:

"Peripheral Neuropathy: Rare cases of sensory or sensorimotor axonal polyneuropathy affecting small and/or large axons resulting in paresthesias, hypoesthesias, dysesthesias and weakness have been reported in patients receiving quinolones, including [name of specific quinolone]. [The drug] should be discontinued if the patient experiences symptoms of neuropathy including pain, burning, tingling, numbness, and/or weakness or other alterations of sensation including light touch, pain, temperature, position sense, and vibratory sensation in order to prevent the development of an irreversible condition."

She gave me 2 prescriptions in a row. Did that medicine damage my nerves? This is an example of me taking a med without really even thinking twice about it. Something in me thinks this may really be a key in the answer, but likely will never know.

I think all doctors should make patients aware of this danger before giving ANY quinolone antibiotics. That's what the black box warning is for, but nothing was said to me at all. I might have been more susceptible since I had just had surgery. I don't know.

I totally understand your frustration, and I hope your nerve pain isn't permanent damage.

( ( HUGS) )

Cheri
  • Wow, that's pretty scary that they would give you a drug that would cause nerve damage. I am guilty as well of not reading the inserts when I am prescribed a drug especially if it is just an antibiotic. A few weeks ago I thought the doctor had prescribed me a muscle relaxer, I was going in for an ESI and they told me not to take tylenol, NASIDS, ect. Well I took this med thinking it was just a muscle relaxer because this is what we had discused, so I took them before the ESI. I didn't have any problems but I should have read the lable and looked it up on the internet before I took it. It was NASID, it really made me angry that he wrote me a script for that when I already had some at home and they didn't relieve my pain at all.

I guess I am lucky that I am tolerating the neurontin so well and it is working so well for my pain. What kind of side effects did you have that made you unable to take them? I don't get drowsy or a foggy head or anything for that matter. Just pain relief.

As far as why I got the nerve damage, I guess I may never no but I am glad to have found a drug that has helped so much.

Hugs to you as well, take care.

Suziee
  • I too took Levaquin immediately after surgery and was not aware of the adverse reaction until after the fact. But, my nerve pain was evident as soon as I awoke from surgery. I took two med packs of steroids and my pain did change form but did not go away. I am now taking gabapentin (generic neurontin) and am graduating gradually to higher dosage. So far it seems to be doing nothing to help the pain, and I have not noticed any additional side effects.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Have been out of my meds for over a month. the side effects of that is not good. always in pain depressed crying nothing going right. I have fibromyalgia,osteoporosis,osteoarthritis,back pain,bronchitis,bursitis,tendonitis,chronic fatigue,sleep disorder,depression,emphysema,foot problems,gerd,incontinence,memory loss,MDD,DDD,and ulcers.
    Sue Brown :''(
  • I took this drug after being in pain for 2 straight months after a rotator cuff repair. Then I took the drug and in 2 days I was on the golf course with 0 pain. Your right, why did they wait so long. I was in so much pain then
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,716
    Not to sound like any endorsement, but I believe if you took the consensus of Spine-Health members, they favor Neurontin over Lyrica for Nerve Pain. I've used both and so far after about a year or so on Neurontin, I have not seen any negative side effects.

Now, why Nerve pain?

From your post and signature area, I could not see if you have had any spinal surgeries. When a spinal disc starts to impinge on a nerve root that will create nerve pain which takes longer to heal than the actual disc pain.

On 4 out of my 7 surgeries, the nerve pain took anywhere from 6 months to a year after surgery before that pain was gone. I also wasnt sure when you said your pain turned to nerve pain. Do you have any formal diagnosis from a doctor?

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have had two MRI's to date. One of my cervical spine and one of my thoracic spine. The thoracic doesn't show much going on except for two mild bulging discs but that is where the pain originated from. My cervical spine shows quite a bit going on but I have never had any neck pain.

I first had a ESI of the cervical spine because they thought it might be referred pain, it did nothing. Then I had an ESI of the thoracic area and it might have helped a little bit, its hard to tell because I started taking the neuronton about 5 days after the ESI. Either way I think the neurontin is doing the trick.

My life is doable after almost a year of unbearable pain. I am back walking and enjoying life once again.

Has anyone had weight gain with neurontin? I have put on 10 lbs or more and I am not sure which drug to blame it on but I think it may be the Remeron I am taking but my doctor did warn me that neurontin would make you extremly hungry. Now that I feel better I am on an exercise regiment to see if I can get that 10 lbs off.

• I was on Neurontin (Gabapentin) for about five years. It didn't help me a lot with nerve pain then, but was a wonder drug when it came to sleep. I've been on it again for a couple of weeks and am HOPING it will help with the nerve "stuff" as well as sleep once I get up to a reasonable dose.

I'm so glad to hear you're getting good relief from it, suziee, as it's one of the drugs that has been on the market for years without too many side effects.

I, like Ron, preferred taking it over the Lyrica; the Lyrica had so many weird side effects....I did NOT like it at all.

Take care, and I hope you continue to see improvement!

Tracy
  • Has anyone experienced weight gain while taking neurontin?

My Doctor warned me that it may cause an increase in appetite.

I have gained 10 lbs rather quickly but I'm not sure if it is the neurontin or the Remeron.
  • I didn't have any weight gain at all with Neurontin when I was on it for those five years, but a lot of people on this site have.

I'll keep you posted, though, because I've been back on it a few weeks and my appetite has doubled....it might be because my other meds have finally "settled in", but if it's the Neurontin, I'm in trouble!! :O I seem to be out eating everyone these days!!

Tracy

P.S. I did neglect to mention that the "creepy crawly" nerve sensations have definitely settled down since I started these meds again....I'm VERY happy about that.
  • Are you all Puffy (when I get like that I feel like the Michelin Man... you know - the big white rubbery guy on the Tire commercials?). If so, try some fluid pills. I didn't gain weight with the Neurontin. Or the Lyrica. I just couldn't take them.

My nerve damage was also from nerve root impingement. I waited too long for my surgery (I kept thinking it'd go away...) and now have permanent nerve root damage. My legs always feel like I have the worse sunburn. And my feet feel like I walk on glass (when I am sitting down doing nothing - I know - I have GOT to be the weirdest person you've ever conversed with!). My surgery was over 2 years ago. It will be 3 years this February. But who's counting, right?

Good luck though. I have been told nerves do regenerate. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones!!!
  • I have been on neurontin for about 3 years now and have not experienced any negative side effects that I am aware of. However, it has been hard to say how much it is helpng with the nerve pain. Originally, I was treated for nerve issues in lumbar area running down legs and including numbness in both feet. Went through three separate physical therapy programs with no improvement and drs just wanted to increase neurontin (now at 2400 a day), and then add vidodin, relafen and colchine. And in the past couple of months also added Fetynal patches for pain. Pins and needles, pain and numbness started moving above waist into both arms around september of this year until left side went entirely numb. While in hospital they did cervical MRI and found arthritic problems with C4, C5, C6 and C7 and said C5/C6 had "flattened" against spinal cord. Performed acdf c5/6 on November 1 and about 3 weeks ago problems came back worse than before surgery. Burning in shoulders, numbness and tingling in both arms, both hands numb and loss of approx. 75% of fine motor skills in hands. Surgeon unsure if nerves are going haywire now that it is opened up some, or if it is permanent sc damage because nerves were crushed for so long or if there is another problem so they are doing another MRI tomorrow morning. Getting more and more frustrated. Also wondering if foot and leg nerve issues could have originated from cervical area and everyone missed the signs until nerves were compromised this much. Through all of this have never really had any pain in neck area at all. Wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and would be willing to share as to what I might be able to expect next and/or is it common that drs will just continue to increase levels of meds as you go along.
  • Well I am pretty sure my weight gain is due to the neurontin. The other day I baked chocolate chip cookies and ended up eating at least 10 of them while I baked them. It was like I had no control! Once I had the first cookie there was no stopping me.This is so unlike me. I sort of pride myself of having control of my food intake but I have no control right now.

My shrink suggested that I ask the Dr. if I could replace the neurontin with topamax, he said that it suppressed the appetite. I see my DR. after Christmas so I am going to ask.

Has anyone been on Topamx and does it work as well as neurontin.

• Hi Suziee,

I take Neurontin for my nerve pain in my back and (legs, feet). Funny thing I thought the meds weren't working so I cut the amount in half. I couldn't sleep. I then figured out I guess neurontin works. I only take it to sleep.

I take topamax for another reason unrelated to my back. I have a nerve in my brain that causes my brain to swell sometimes. Not sure how all that works, but 4 years ago doc's thought it was a mass and it was this little nerve. Come to find out topamax keeps it under control. I will take it forever, but its all good for me. I don't want brain surgery.

Long story just to tell you, I take and have taken over time a bit of this medication. I haven't had any side affects. Just don't miss. Take as instructed. You will do great.

Good Luck,
    Susie
  • Gotta like a person with the name susie!! ;)

Did or does the neurontin make you hungry? I have always prided myself on the fact that I could control my eating but since I have been on the neurontin I have been gorging myself. I am exerising to counter act the food I have been consuming but its not working all that well.

I am going to ask for the topamax because my other doctor says it curbs your appetite.

My sister inlaw takes neurontin for seizures and loves it.
  • hi all
    after my last operation i was prescribed lyrica..it worked wonders for about 4 months ..BUT THEN!!! i noticed that i was getting fatter and fatter in fact i had put on 3 stone in 6 months ! then it put me in urinary retention .my legs were twice a big as they should be i could hardly breath and i felt very ill.my doctor has taken me off them..within 48 hours i could go to the loo again {yippee!} and my legs came down to the right size and i could breath again but i still have not lost most of the weight .i have asked my doc why ? he said that some people will take a very long time to loose drug induced weight.{same thing happen to me when i was on prednisolone {pred..nis...alone..}steroids for chrones ..it took me 3 years to shift the weight!
    the trouble is that now i don't do much exercise because i am in too much pain with my back .
    since i have come off the lyrica /gabapentin type drugs the nerve pain has returned...so much so that i can't wear long trousers i always were shorts because i can't stand anything on my legs {anyone else like this ?}
    take care all
    STRAKER
  • I have been taking gabapentin (neurontin) for about a year. I think it helps my pain, but it's hard to tell, and I don't want to stop taking it. There were several times early on where I stopped taking it, but my pain would get worse. I could never tell though, if it was from stopping the gabapentin or from other things (like over doing it).

Recently I had a discogram and I've been having additional pain from that. Particularly in my leg, and knee. I had excruciating pain that made it difficult to walk. I have also been taking melixicam (mobic), but have stopped that in order to take a course of prednisolone, for this extra pain. My pain med was also increased at the same time. The extra pain is better, though not gone.

But one of the things I've noticed is that the inside of my knee is extremely sensitive to things touching it. Sheets/blankets in bed and pants. The skin on that leg also seems to be a little numb or something. I can especially tell when I shave my legs. It's weird, to have both of those feelings at the same time. The sensitivity but also surface numbness. It isn't true numbness, as it is only at the surface, and I can still feel things.
  • Suziee- I just saw your question about Neurontin causing weight gain, and I have gained some weight too. I had recently lost about 20 pounds, and now that I think about it, I have been really hungry the last couple months, which is when I started it! I think that may be why....I am really glad that Neurontin is working so well for you. I honestly have not gotten any better, in fact I am still having the pain, as well as numbness in my feet, some pins and needles. I am going in tomorrow for facet injections and if that doesn't work, I am waiting to see a NS.
  • Hi Suziee,

I do like your name as well. (He He) I must say I am really lucky because I didn't gain weight with either medication. I have also heard though that topamax you have a better chance of not gining weight. I have the trouble usually of keeping thw weight on. I think because the medications make me feel not so much like eatting so I have to really try. I know what a problem, but it gets old when loved ones comment about weight loss too much. I am no skinny minnie just thin is little.

Keep in touch,
    Susie
  • I've recently started neurotin and I have a hard time telling if it really is taking away the pain. Before I started taking it I could do nothing but lay flat on my back to have relief from the pain. After taking neurotin, I was able to sit up for about two hours. Unfortunately, I have increased the does but seem to be in even more pain and sitting up is almost as difficult as it was in the begining. I just keep hoping I'll wake up and the pain will be gone. I've only been taking it for about 3 to four weeks, I've noticed it has been harder for me to remember things short term wise while on it. I did notice mental concentration was a side effect, but I have always had a great memory so it's a bit annoying and scary.
  • After taking the gabepentin for five years, I decided to get off it. It takes forever. But I have to pay $50/month, it just got to be too much. Plus the doctor that perscribed it will no longer treat me. My primary will not give me pain meds. So I am saving $50/month.

As far as weight, I gained quite a bit when I took amitriptilyn (antidepressive). Also, I can not exercise like I use to. I really do not think it is the gabepentin that made me gain weight.
  • At last, after a long time, I found a site that meets their deliveries because Tramadol buy for my pain and after so much testing here and there, I recommend this site www.edited.com first and get a good deal, something that made me doubt the first, but to try to buy it, then shipping is fast, and the product is original, that gave me confidence and the second was the same, and I may rely on such companies, looking to see logically follow that meeting.

• I know there's alot of side effects with some meds Sue but oft times they are only temporary. I do wish you all the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have found that wearing sweat pants (not a great fashion statement I know) is better than things like jeans or dressy pants. They keep the legs warm and are not so constricting especially if you get them a size larger.
  • Hello and image everyone!!

I have small fiber neuropathy in both of my feet. I've been to half a dozen doctors, have had every test imaginable, been to physical therapy, had anodyne therapy, and have been prescribed Cymbalta, Lyrica, Neurontin, Elavil, Darvocet, Norco, and Fentanyl. The Cymbalta had severe side effects, as did Lyrica. Neurontin made my feet and ankles swell up so bad I thought they would explode. It did relieve about 50 percent of the pain but I stopped taking it because of the swelling. Fentanyl didn't help at all, and Norco helps a little but the Elavil has given me about 25 percent pain relief. So I'm taking 150 mg. Elavil every night (it causes extreme drowsiness about 2 hours after I take it and has helped me to sleep better than I have in years)and 10 mg. Norco 4 - 6 times a day.

I can really empathize with everyone who suffers with the pain of neuropathy.

Has anyone had any success with any other meds or treatments for neuropathy?
  • =D> My wife saw an ad about this new liquid called "Neuragen." At $30 for a small, small bottle I was worried when we first bought it. But as I am sure you know, anything is worth a try to stop that burning in your feet. On the label it said you could add four/five drops to oil for larger areas. We bought a 3 oz squirt bottle and baby oil and tried it. It worked really well right away. Now I use it three times a day w/o a miss and have much relief. I am not saying it completely stops the pain, but it really helps. I am also on Neurontin and have been for about a year. I also must take a muscle relaxer as the cramps at night are so severe. I am also on Cellebrex so must be careful about other meds I take. So I live on Tylenol PM.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.