Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
:''( :H
Hello. I am 3 months post ALIF surgery Hybrid.. fusion to L5/S1 and replacement to L4/L5. Before surgery I suffered with 15 years of sciatic pain (rotating) legs and low back pain. Following surgery I have no back pain =D> but developed great toe drop, dorsiflexion issue (all in left leg.) Alif was done on left side..Have a 6 1/2 scar on left side of abdomen. Last xray show fusion healing perfectly and replacement is in place.. had mylegram 3 weeks post surgery to try and figure out why there was left foot drop. Mylegram showed no nerve compression issues, etc. Along with the foot drop and great toe issue,(and again these were immediately following surgery..were discovered in the recovery room by the surgeon and followe up on while in hospital for 2 days.. it was also discoverd that I had numbness in an area abou the size of 1/2 of a dollar bill on the top of my left thigh. The area surrounding this numbness is hypersensitive. I am also having left lef and foot swelling making it difficult to walk and maintain a normal life. Saw vascular surgeon this week, they did ultrasound to check for blood clots, they say there are none..all looks good. So now they are saying that the swelling is common following ALIF due to swelling in groin area (under scar) and that this keeps the groin area lymph nodes from doing their job properly (to keep fluid backup out of legs. The vasular surgeon has ordered Compression Hose to help with the swelling and the PT has given me excercises to help with the lymph node drainiage. So far no relief. I see a Neurologist on DEC 12 to do brain scane to check for an "event" that "may" have occured during surgery that could explian the great toe damage and foot drop. Has anyone else out there experienced these symptoms following ALIF surgery? And if so, does it every get better and go away. I am a positive person, but I must say these postop issues have been keeping my spirits down becuase they are limiting my activity and because None of the docs can seem to give my analytical mind any explanation much less an estimated time for it to go away. Seeking Answers! ~X(
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry to read of your post op problems. ~X( you can't seem to get started on your road to recovery. keep your appointments, give the hose and exercises a good chance and do alot of reading and asking questions till you are satisfied with the answers. :? i do not have your particular problems but we both have chronic pain. :''( good luck as you seek that "road to recovery." get well soon! Jenny :)
  • I really do not have any answers for you either but wanted to welcome you. You may want to check out the surgery section of this forum in order to see if anyone else has suffered the same issues. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.