Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Life after 2 PLIF's

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi There,

I need some advise and really value my fellow spineys on SH.

I have had 2x PLIF's (lucky me!) and am post op approx 10 weeks following revision after complications. Well, someone had to get them...any how, heres the scoop.

I am so reactive to movement, activity anything and evrything seem sto flare me off.
Muscle spasm in back, ache, pressure, sharp stabbing pain, boring, leg groin, buttock pain, nerve issues in leg (the usual pins needles, numbness, coldwater running down leg, buring, weight bearing pain)

I had a bad week. :''(

I feel a kinda buzzing thing, vibrating in my back.Bit like tinitus in my back. lol!
The pain I suffer with feels positional, yet after 2 fusions this shouldn't be the case. I have screws and rods and confirmed fusion. I still can't lean forward - killer trigger.
It can switch off/on in a mili second. I have no control and am not aware of what switches it on/off.
This is just my gut instinct feeling.
When they discovered a misplaced hardwear It all made sensebut not any more.
I feel horrible. I want to cry. My pain killers are not working.

Am I missing something Obvious?

(P.S. I just want to point out I have been very unlucky and am not the usual following fusion surgery. I had numerous problems pre-op to resolve)
Thanks in advance.
advertisement

Comments

• The key is that you are here and you are able to communicate with the rest of us and the world. That will save your sanity and hopefully distract you long enough to allow your body to heal. 10 weeks post op isn't that far out in the grand scheme of things, considering that you had to have a revision. One thing that we tend to forget, is that although our spines can be fused and bolted together in order to reduce movement of some sort, the rest of the body remains fluid and in motion and at the mercy of gravity. So instead of you having to hold your breath and dive down to the bottom of the pool, someone fills the level up and brings it to you. When you change position, everything except for your spine moves. So if there's a wall where there wasn't one before....

I say hang in there and if you aren't already doing so, keep an open communication with your surgeon about all of this. Keep a specific pain diary as well.

"C"
  • So sorry you are having a flare. :( I was told to rotate my foot each direction to keep my nerves moving enough to not have scar tissue attach. Your pain definitely sounds nerve related. Can you call your doc and check on that tomorrow?

When I have bad nerve flares, it can be about a week before they calm down. 10 weeks post op is early, although it probably feels like forever and I'm sure you want to get back to your regular life.

Hang in there!

Cheri
  • My flare do take about 10 days to settle and can come in a mili second. Bang.

Scary. @)