Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I triggering my nerve pain??

TatiyanaTTatiyana Posts: 194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was hoping to help my recovery by excersising & stretching (touching my toes & leg stretches) but everytime I try- my leg pain (nerve) flares up. It takes for ever to calm down.
I am scheduled for an ALIF in less than 3 weeks, maybe I should just stop pushing myself?? Do any of you know if this is something I should be doing or not doing? Is this a common trigger?? I'd ask my surgeon but I won't see him again until the day of surgery. I just want to up my chances of a smooth recovery.
advertisement

Comments

• Tatiyana. I am not a medical person but I do suffer from nerve pain in my legs. My pain runs along the L5 route from the top of my hip bone down the outside of my thigh, down the outside of my shin bone into my ankle and, now, in both feet, the whole foot. I know FOR ME, stretching my legs set off horrible pain flares and especially when I went to P.T., the therapists would sometimes really get me going. I would think you should just leave it alone until you have surgery. After surgery, you will be told to walk, walk walk and walk some more. why not do a little bit of that now, unless that, too, sets off a flare. In any case, be kind to yourself, you have a big job ahead of you. Susan
  • I was shown how to stretch out my glutes and hamstrings by lying on my back and using a towel or belt to raise each leg (one at at time). This way a pelvic tilt is avoided and the muscles are still able to be stretched. For me I had problems from L4-S1 and doing a pelvic tilt would set me off tremendously.

So I don't know how you are doing your stretches, but the Physical Therapist told me the worst thing I could do was sit on the floor or a mat and lean forward trying to touch my toes.

I would go nuts if I still had 3 weeks and felt good enough to stretch. It's a personal thing though, so go with your own intuition.

"C"
  • I wouldn't really say I feel good enough to stretch, it was more of a "push through it" situation thinking I would be better for it. I also have fibro & many other issues so I force myself to do most things & act as if it isn't killing me. With Fibro, the more active you remain, the better you
    tend to do..not so much the back & neck issues!
    Today I can do nothing but lay on my bed & try to focus on something other than the burning, electric pain going down the back of my leg and the 2 toes I cannot feel.
  • Hi, maybe you could call he doctor or the nurse and ask if Lyrica could be prescribed before surgery??? It is used for nerve pain and maybe you would be able to get som relief before surgery. Call your doctor first thing tomorrow. Best Wishes to you and keep walking, it helped me through the days before and after surgery.
  • for my Fibro, but felt very dizzy & weird the next day.

Did you experience any side effects with Lyrica?

My mother has Fibro & took it for months, only to find out it was the cause of the blood pooling in her legs. I guess that just scared me from giving it a chance. I know sometimes the side effects of a new RX go away in a couple days or so.
  • One of the things that would really send me in a nerve flare would be to lean forward much at all, let alone a "real" stretch. Kudos to you for being so motivated, but I would really double check with your doctor if that is a move he wants to you keep trying. Can you think of another way to stretch that won't involve bending?

Good luck and hope you feel better in the morning.

Cheri
  • At first when I started Lyrica I felt dizzy, tired and spaced out and a dry mouth. The higher the dose as the weeks went along the only side effect now is feeling tired which is okay since I don't work and have no children. My husband does mostly everything for me. The only time I feel the tingling ,numbness and pain is when I do my stationary recumbent bicycle and walk. I also had the water retention and weight gain but lasix seems to help with the swelling now. Take care and hope you find something that helps. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement