Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

coerced or what?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
I have the ball of wax, can't put the back problems into one category. I hope back pain sufferers will read this and answer me on this: do I HAVE TO agree with useless PT and epidurals to get pain medication relief? WHY AM I BAD TO WANT A PILL FOR 4 DOLLARS A MONTH OPPOSED TO 700 DOLLARS IN COPAYS FOR PROCEDURES I HAVE LEARNED THROUGH SUPPORT GROUPS DON'T WORK?
Who, exactly, is the nut here? The one raking in fake bucks or the person suffering being made to dance to the music? I am so tired of this..........I know not what to say anymore! Is this the only game in town??????????
advertisement

Comments

• What you are up against is the standard of care used virtually everywhere for spine related issues. Throughout the years, medical science has come to the conclusion that trying all known conservative treatments "usually" helps resolve routine spine issues without the need for surgery or long term medications.

I seriously doubt that there's some deep dark conspiracy to keep people paying out the big bucks for conservative treatment and intentionally denying them pain medication.

"C"
  • PT and ESI's do help a lot of people and that is why we have to try them. In fact, many insurance companies require these treatments before they will approve surgery. There is no conspiracy here.
  • That thought has crossed my mind sometimes, especially now with all the doom and gloom of the economy. Everybody is now having to chose, penny pinch, and budget. It is hard to do that when it comes to caring for our backs. I agree it is cheaper to get an rx than to have injections, and if my PM recommends it, I would try it just so they know I am open to all avenues of care. To sum it up, it is very expensive to have back problems.
  • Many people have been helped with PT and ESI's.Now,I had no relief from the ESI's in my neck,but the ones I had in my hip worked like magic.They were a dream come true,and if I had not lived the experience myself I would not beieve how amazing my pain relief was.The pain was so intense that I had a really hard time getting in/out of the car,and even sleeping was a nightmare!After my injections the pain was GONE..not a little gone,but all gone.I thought it must be the numbing agent and was waiting for the pain to return,but it took 6 weeks before that even started to happen.So,ESI's worked in my hip-I only wish they had worked in my neck.Other people have had success however,so unless you try it,at least once or twice-maybe you shouldn't simply rule it out.

You can't learn through a support group if PT or ESI's will work for you.You can only learn here what worked or has not worked for others.Also to get support while you are going through your efforts to help yourself live a more pain free and healing lifestyle.One would think that if a person is in that much pain that they would be willing to try..if there is the slightest chance.

When you say useless PT and epidurals and call it all a game,you may be taking hope and even joy away from a person/s who are looking forward to possible relief from their pain using the very techniques that you speak of so negatively.I have been guilty myself of hurting someones feelings in the past when I spoke of the ESI's not working on my neck.

• PT and ESI's are always worth a try, for some the relief is good, others no so much.BUT, you need to try before dismissing them, yes it is expensive, and only personal experience will tell you if the options work.

For me:

PT did improve me about 25-30% thats good in my book, meds will reach that if your lucky most doctors won't even RX anything strong till you try and even then it may not happen, I am under medicated at the moment.ESI's, for me were a disaster due to my existing health issues, I will NEVER do one again.But,I tried with an open mind and learned.I have heard great results from others and am kind of jealous that my body won't cope.I have the added bonus of NSAID's causing allergic reactions, which puts me at odds of ever getting the best opportunities for a balanced regime.Narcotics work, but they do not reduce inflammation nor do they help nerve related pain.I wish for more treatment options, but my body is difficult.So maybe open up to a trial run, but give it chance.
  • I guess it all comes down to their being no short cuts with this condition! I have my first PT session in a little while, and I am actually looking forward to the chance of improvement. I am, though, unable to afford 3x a week for 6 wks: I will talk to them directly about this before I start the session. I am also nursing a hairline fracture of the ankle, when it rains it pours, guys! I appreciated the feedback and am sorry if I came across as rude. It's just that I feel so out of control on this front!
  • It's ok enchantress.We have ALL had our days and we understand where your frustration is coming from.

If your income does not allow for the added expense of PT & injections ..well I understand that too.Honestly if I had to pay cash for those things I would not have been able to.Simple as that.And yes my pain is bad,but there is no way I would even consider taking a loan or charging those things on a credit card either.

Maybe you can qualify for some other type of benefits.Someone had posted several different links on a thread the other day that might be able to help.I have coverage,so I didn't look,but I'll try to find them and repost them for you.Also,perhaps the staff there (PT) might know of something.They are usually pretty knowledgeable about those type of things.Does your ins. pay for any PT at all?

You may feel a little out of control right now,but there are many things that you can control.This is only temporary,but if it does happen to last forever-there are ways that we learn to deal/cope.

I had a sprained ankle in one foot,hairline in the other years ago when I was in a bike wreck.It was pretty painful and the Dr gave meds for that! I hope your PT gives you some relief..but keep in mind that sometimes it can make you pretty sore.The therapist will/should report any pain issues that you have with the Dr that ordered you into PT,so maybe your doc will prescribe something if you are having a rough time there.
  • Epidurals helped my sciatica by about 80%. If after 1 it doesn't help they won't do another. PT is good for me to get excercises and do them at home they give you a print out to follow these. Accupuncture may have helped a couple of times but it's not for everyone. My PM Dr. didn't really agree with traction but I would check with your Dr. for that one. If I'm still ill next year when I get my limited benefits back I would try water physio. I hope to try to heal with time and taking meds also for that time and there's nothing wrong with that. I hope pt helps. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You do need to do whatever it is they suggest but I too wouldn't be able to affored the PT or the ESI's if I were not on a workmans comp claim. So that puts you between a rock and a hard place. I wish I had an answer for you.

PT did not help me at all and the jury is still out on the ESI but I don't think it worked either and I am thankful that I didn't have to pay for it.

I did finaly find relief with neurontin and I am so elated after dealing with this horrible pain for almost a year.

I hope that you can find some relief as well.

Take care of yourself.
  • My name itsalongwalk it is NO joke, it really is along walk!

You have to suck and see all the different treatment options, to see which one may help.
    Some of these can be diagnostic too so patience is a must with a bad back.

Sadly, it is so common a problem having a bad back that it rarely taken as seriously as it should be for those of us that really need it.
    I wish you well!!
  • Unfortunately there is no short cut since it seems that everyone's condition is different or even if their dx is the same it seems that everyone has different results with different treatment. Some successful and some not. I understand how you feel when you have tried so many things and the pain is still there and the medical bills keep piling up.

I also sprained my ankle around the same time my back started getting bad. I contribute the worst of my back pain from having to use crutches and to favor one leg over the other. I was trying to treat my ankle and back at the same time which was very difficult and expensive. It's been over a year since I sprained my ankle and I am still having pain there and the surgery has not fixed my back. Now I feel I am back to square one. I am starting up the injections to give this one more try. I will try anything if there is a possibility it is going to help lessen my pain. I've come to accept that I will never be 100% pain free.

I do know that having a bad back and ankle at the same time is difficult to deal with since having to limp or favor one leg over the other causes your posture to be off which causes more pain in your back. It's a never ending vicous cycle and I am here to lend and ear.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.