Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back home after TLIF L4-S1

anjuanaanjuan Posts: 236
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi-

I thought that I had posted yesterday but it appears that something happened to it. I went in on Wednesday for a two level minimially invasivie L4-S1. I was originally scheuled for 7:30am, but the night before they moved me to 10am. I got there and after they hooked up the iv, etc they moved me to the closer pre-op area. There my PA and another tech used sandpaper on my skin on my legs and attached probes to test my nerves during the surgery. They also gave me a sedative, but it really didn't help me very much. Around 11 they moved me to the operating room and then a little later I was in recovery. The surgery lasted 3.5 hours.

They moved me to my room around 6pm since they were waiting for one. I do have to say that I had a hard time with pain control while I was there. They didn't give me a PCA pump. Instead they injected dilaudid and gave me some other things orally. On Thursday the nursing staff was so bad. When I told her my pain was a 10 she said that I was taking enough and would just have to deal with it. ~X( I asked her to call my surgeon and she refused to do so. So, I finally got on the phone to them myself and they added some Vicatin to the mixwhich helped some. The PT and OT staff in the hospital was really good and I really liked getting up and walking. Of course, later in the day I was trying to transfer back to the bed and I couldn't remember exactlt how to do it. So, instead of explaining it to me the nurse just whiped my legs on the bed which sent me in excruciating pain. Later that day she was late getting my meds because, "she was on her periods and had to change her pants." Lets just say by the end of the day she had my mother crying because of my treatment.

I was then supposed to leave on Friday, but since I had such a bad pain day on Thurdsday, I asked to stay an extra day and I had a mush better nurse.

Eventually I was released Saturday afternoon. The surgery did go well. A week from now I have to go back to the office to have the stiches taken out.

I would right more, but right now I am so tired, that I think it is time for a nap. Hope all is well.

Julie
advertisement

Comments

• Glad to hear you're home and the surgery went well.

Nurses are usually horrible, evil dictators... Or the sweetest things ever. Lol. I have never had an in between. I had horrible nurses, and my experience was similar to yours. Except I had the PCA pump, upped 5 times, but it didn't work, so I opted for Dilaudid and Valium through the IV, and pills in between. I'm sorry you had the evil spawn of my nurses.

Walking is the best thing you can do! I wish you the best with recovery :)
  • lol!

I think, like you say, it depends on the direct support nurse person around you. Home now!

I am so glad you are home, take it easy and wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Thanks, it does feel great to be home. My mom has been a wonderful nurse to me, and her husband has been great at taking care of my 4 yr old and keeping the house straightened up. My mom is staying through Friday. He is leaving but coming back on Thursday. His parting gift to us is going to be a very thourough cleaning of our house. They have just been angels ti us! O:)

Overall my pain management at home is under control, although I am pretty sore. They have me on soma 350mg every eight hours, neurontn 300mg every eight hours, and then norco 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours up to 8 pills a day. I have been trying to walk as much as I can, but with the bad weather here and ice there is no way I can go outside. So I just pace the halls. I also have to wear a bone stimulator 4 hours a day. I don't feel anything when I wear it. It isn't uncomfortable when I am sitting up or walking but it is uncomfortable when I am on my back so I try to lay on my side when I use it.

It is great to be on the other side. I would be happy to answer anyone's questions.
  • You are doing great, congratulations <:P =D> That was so nice of your family to help you out like that. Believe me, a clean house is precious. Sorry you had Nurse T.M.I. The last thing you need to worry about is her pants and dirty attitude. It's a shame you had to bypass her to get to your surgeon. She oughtta change sides with you and experience THE PAIN. I wish I did as well as you post op. I did have an open back TLIF on the same levels as you, and I did not walk at all at the hospital and I was there 5 days. The pain was unspeakable and I was hooked up to a PCA. It was mostly a blur to me and I don't remember everything in there.
    Anyways, I am so glad to hear you doing well. Take it easy and be careful.
advertisement