Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie joining

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi there everyone...I've been reading for several days and am amazed by the support you all give one another.

My story is like the common cold compared to many of you, nonetheless, I live with chronic pain every day of my life that no one around me understands. I'm quite withdrawn about my condition and do not tell many people...even those close to me b/c I feel I am too young (35)...then I come here and many of you are in your 20s! I have 5 children from 5 to 16 and its becoming increaasingly difficult to do day to day activities without the severe pain. I've had neck pain with right hand weakness/spasms for 3 years (3 bulging discs by MRI). My PM doc says I should not hurt this bad. I recently had a new MRI including a lower back b/c I was having severe sciatic pain and having trouble walking and now have a herniated disc L5 S1 (which I was told was in my head before the MRI).

This chronic pain is really getting to me. I really need a doc who has actually FELT some of these back issues. It's pure torture and it's something I can deal with if only I felt understood. Two months ago I asked to go off my Fentanyl patches, and I did, but b/c my PM suggested a shrink to help my manage my pain...I haven't been back, so I'm suffering in pain. Maybe I took it too hard, but it really hurt me...I loved my PM, but that comment made me feel belittled...especially when I am the one who asked to try to come off the patches. I loved a quote someone had on here from a nursing journal that "if you go in crying, they think you are depressed, but if you go in happy, they think there is no way you can be in so much pain". It really is a catch 22 for us in chronic pain every day. It's a tough world. Many days I don't want to get out of bed...I know a couple hours on my feet will put me in excruciating pain.

I'm glad I found this board...you all are so much like me. Best wishes to you all...
advertisement

Comments

• I am so glad that you joined. This really is a great place. My primary doc suggests I go see a pyschologist too, especially when I start crying which is often since I am in constant pain and feel down because of it. It's great talking to people who understand what you are going through.
  • please go back to the pain clinic and speak with the psych.
    --not because they think it's all in your head, but because it can really help to relieve some of the stresses involved with chronic pain.
  • What exactly is radiculapathy? That's what the PM doc keeps saying is wrong with my nect and arm and says I shouldn't be huring so bad there. After the shrink comment, I had a severe attack with my sciatica and went to my regular doc who sent me for the MRI and we found the L5-S1 disc...so she doesn't even know about that one. I guess I am viewing the psychologist as bad. Maybe I shouldn't. I don't really want that on my chart.

Thank you both for your welcome comments!
  • I'm sorry your PM Dr. didn't believe your pain. That can be hurtful, and maybe he lost a good patient. Hard to understand sometimes. Are you on pain meds now? It's hard to understand why you would've been put on a strong pain med without having had a MRI. I think that's a GP's responsibility to order those tests before sending someone to a pain management Dr. Anyway I hope you get the support you need here. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi...sorry...I had an MRI a couple years ago for neck pain and it showed 3 bulging discs (cervical), DDD, arthritis. We tried pain pills...but I was having so many rebound headaches due to my migraine history that she put me on the patches. My recent MRI showed the L5 S1 herniation (no nerve impingment...so no surgery needed...thank goodness). Sorry if I was confusing.
  • I know what you mean. I think it's easy to get your feelings hurt when something is effecting your life.
    I go to a therapist on my own and now that I have surgery coming up, we do talk about chronic pain and mainly about surgery and how it's changing my life. But Saturday for no
    apparent reason, I fell down. It was like I kind of just collapsed. It was a pretty bad fall and I was sore yesterday but thought I was alright. However, because I am scheduled for major back surgeries in Feb. I thought the logical thing to do would be to call the surgeon's office and report that I had fallen. I left a message for the nurse, not the surgeon. I didn't say I thought I needed an emergency appt. or an appt. at all. I just said I had fallen for no apparent reason and thought maybe I should let the dr.s office know about it. I just thought that was a logical thing to do. I also called my primary care dr.s office and my dr.s P.A. called me back and said I had probably fallen because my back was unstable. She said it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a cane nearby. So I thought, well, okay. Then, at the end of the day, the nurse from the surgeon's office called and said, as if I were a hypochondriac (see, that's how she made me feel like the suggestion you see a mental health person) that the areas of my back would not make my legs go weak and cause me to fall. She said it would more likely be a medical problem such as a drop in blood pressure. And then again she said it wouldn't be your back issues. So I said, well, I didn't know but thought it would be reasonable to call and report what had happened. Then after we hung up, I felt like my feelings were hurt, like she thought I was exaggerating or making it up to be more than it was. My regular dr.s office, who know me, were nice and concerned that I had fallen - but the Surgeon's office made me feel like I sounded like a nut. I don't know what made me fall - I was just calling because I'm having 2 back surgeries and I'm not a nurse or a doctor, I thought I should call. Then after the surgeon's nurse called, I felt overly sensitive like I had been scolded. I know they are busy and I've never called there before but I am a patient. So I think I kind of know how you feel. My therapist always makes me feel better after I talk to her. I hope if you follow their suggestion and go, that it will make you feel better not worse. But I know I think, how you feel, my feelings were hurt too. I hope you feel better, Susan
  • Your pain is no less important than the rest of us! Chronis pain is a hard way to live. Maybe your PM suggested the shrink in order to help you with coping skills for your chronic pain. He may not think that it is all in your head. But, there are many members here that have faced being told that the pain is all in their head. Have you tried any conservative treatments? Has any doc suggested the possibility of surgery? When discs press on nerves there is real pain involved. You do need some type of treatment for your pain as it can adversely effect your health in other ways. being in a state of constant pain puts alot of stress on your heart and other organs. I hope that you are able to find some relief soon. You will find lots of understanding and support here. Good luck and keep us posted.
advertisement