Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Surgery candidate here

nursedina001nnursedina001 Posts: 235
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all,

I have posted once or twice in the back surgery forum here.

My name is Dina and I am a 40 year old mom of three teenage boys ages 18, 16, and 15. My husband was killed in a car crash last year but I have recently started to date again and my boyfriend has moved in (he is retired at age 40)

I am also an emergency/trauma nurse and a home health nurse.

I apparently herniated a disc and it is putting some serious issues on my left leg - numbness, occasionally losing strength and collapsing the leg, left drop foot, no feeling in toes and outside of calf.

I am scheduled for PLIF in two days on DEc 10th and I am scared to death and have been feeling very depressed and scared because I do not knw how to heal and do nothing, and I am afraid of what the recovery process will bring.

I am so glad I found this site, there is sooooo much useful information and good people here who totally understand what I am going through.

advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. get all your questions answered before you head in to surgery. :? this is a great place for that. have a look at the "Good News" forum and some good reads on successful SH surgeries. have you got your house prepared? have you got your sweet family to be by your side? good luck and don't be scared. :D tell us all as soon as you can!! :-C Jenny I)
  • My boys are here and I told them what they need to do, bu tI am not so sure they are going to do it.

I am trying to think of it this way =

If the house is a mess - who cares? I keep telling my boyfriend that the four of them will be walking around dirty and hungry for a few weeks...lol

• I just hung up with my best friend. She had the same surgery that you are having. Her surgery was just 3 weeks ago and she has assured me it was not nearly as bad as she thought and she is walking quite well now.
  • Thanks :) I hope it's going to be as well as your friend's surgery :)
  • I also replied to your other post. Yes, let your boyfriend and kids walk around hungry and in dirty house if needed. They are all certainly old enough to take care of themselves and you. Don't do anything to jeopordize your recovery. I think I already mentioned to take a look at post surgery things needed list on your other post. It really is important to be prepared. One of those grabbers are very important and also a handheld shower massage to wash lower body. I think it mentions the disposable tongs to hold toilet tissue with (no fun not being able to twist and wipe) I was very unprepared for these things and was very miserable post op. That is why I always emphasize this to all. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • :) hi! it isn't the house we are worried it is YOU!! ~X( you will need some constant care for awhile. someone to help you in and out of bed, cook for you and just HELP you. the house can wait, although it will probably drive you crazy more than anyone else. =)) a good idea to have on hand is the dry shampoo. you don't need water and when you can't get in there to shower, you can atleast have clean hair. there is also a toilet seat raiser you might check out as well! good luck! Jenny :)
advertisement