Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

VICODIN vs OXYCOTIN

dgardineerddgardineer Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
I recentlly switched from vicodin 10 mg 4x a day to oxycotin 10 mg 3xs .I'm corious to hear if anybody got different results from different drugs.Before I switched my leg pain was pretty much gone but my back pain was unbearable now my back pain in better but my leg pain is alot worse .I just wanted to get a opinion to see if anybody else had similar excperience.thanks
advertisement

Comments

• I think Oxycontin is stronger than Vicodin, but you will need a nerve pain medicine like Neurontin, Lyrica, or Cymbalta to combat the pain in your leg. A muscle relaxer can also be taken to deal with painful muscle spasms in your back as well as your leg.
    Has your doctor ever talk to you about a fusion since you keep reherniating? I had a microdiscectomy and then a TLIF/laminectomy for L4-S1. I still have pain and take Fentanyl patches, Norco, cymbalta, zanaflex, and motrin for my baxk and nerve pain. I hope you get to feeling better. Take care
  • :) perhaps you need to try a specific medication for the pain in your legs like Lyrica. Oxycontin is stronger than the Vicodin but should be treating all your pain. if it is not, then perhaps you are not on the right dosage yet. if your back feels better, then try the Lyrica for your legs! be sure to talk all of this over with your doctor, he needs to know. good luck! Jenny :)
  • thanks for the feed back, and yes meydey i'm in the process of going through the steps before fusion /making sure i've tried everything else.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    Here is some more details regarding Oxycontin"

Oxycontin and Oxycodone

The biggest difference is that Vicodin is considered to be an IR (Immediate Relief) while Oxycontin is an Extended Release type of pain medication.

The IR gives you the quicker pain relief, but will wear off several hours later.

The ER type provides you with a steady amount of pain medications over a time period. Normally 8 hours.

The best situation is to have the Oxycontin as the primary pain medication and Oxycodone IR for break through pain
    relief.

As Jenny mentioned, the leg pain could very likely be nerve pain. In that case the above pain medications will not address that, you would need a nerve pain medication, such as Neurontin
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I take both and I can tell you neither one helped me for my leg pain. The best results I have had for the leg pain is with Neurontin. The Oxcy seems to give me a really bad headache and nausea so I try to only use that when the other pain gets bad and the vicodin won't cut it.
  • I use zonisanide for nerve pain instead of neurontin. Personal preference. It works for me.
  • I use zonisanide for nerve pain instead of neurontin. Personal preference. It works for me.
  • take a nerve drug .like gabapentin and amitriptyline .{that's one other reasons i have to take such a high amount of oxycontin/oxynorm.as pain is not felt in one area of the brain and is only a perception like love etc a large amount of narcotics will and does help nerve pain ...well it work well on me .i also suffer from TOS too
    t
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I graduated from vicodin to Oxycondone for better pain control. I also agree that the Oxy is much better with the back pain, not so much with the leg pain. My only complaint about the Oxy is it tends to make me a bit crabby.

I'm sure I need something for nerve pain as well, but I'm going thru insurance hoops to get a referral to a spine doc.
  • I do have to agree with Backache. I can't take the "nerve pain" meds because of the horrid side effects.

I have nerve damage in both my feet and legs. I also have a pinched nerve and had scalding, burning pain in my right thigh from it. I have Diladuid in my pain pump and also take Oxycodone for BT pain. Now the pain in my feet, legs and thigh is almost all gone! As a matter of fact, I have no pain at all right now!

I also have ,at times, killer back pain that no amount of pain meds helps. But what stops that pain it in it's tracks is a set of stretching exercises taught to me in PT.

We are all different and what works for my nerve pain may not work for someone else. To say that narcotics do not work for nerve pain is not always true.

In my opinion we must find the right med or combination of meds and exercises that work just for us.

Hoping everyone is having a pain free day!
    Patsy W :H
  • How important is it to wait 12 hours before my next dose?
    Diane

"My Blood Type is Be Positive"

:)

THINK SPRING!
  • You need to discuss this with your doctor. If you change your dosing schedule, you'll run out early. Then where will you be?

Dave
  • Actually I can take up to 3 a day, but I only take 2. I'm more concerned about taking it 4 hours early. I'm on 10 mgs. Not much, but I definitely feel it when it wears off.
    Diane

"My Blood Type is Be Positive"

:)

THINK SPRING!
advertisement