Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had first ESI today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Spinal Injections
Hello all,

This is my first post in the forum after my introduction, glad to be here!

I had my first ESI at L4/L5 and L5/S1 today. From what I understand everything went normally, that said, the injection at the L5/S1 site hurt something awful, still does. I am laying on my back with a iceback and have taken a does of Vicodin.

Anyway, just thought I would let everyone know my experience.

Take care.
R
advertisement

Comments

• Thanks for the update and keeping us posted. I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well from the injections. Hopefully you will be feeling painless shortly.
  • If you're having a series of 2 or 3 injections, you've made it through the worst. When I had my first one, I was screaming on the table, and then I sobbed for hours afterward. It was horrible. The 2nd and 3rd weren't nearly as bad. The doctor told me the 1st was so bad because the disc was REALLY inflamed. By the 2nd and 3rd, the medicine was working, so there wasn't as much inflammation, which meant less pain. The worst part is over.
  • I agree that the first was the worst and even the second. The Nurse says don't move so much! mmm I had my 3rd ESI on Saturday from a different PM Dr. and my sciatica is pretty well gone. I also had facet joint injections for the first time for the arthritis(arthropathy) and feeling pretty good and able to turn better without "creaking". Enough about me. I hope you find joining SH a good experience with sharing. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Glad to hear about your sciatica Charry, I know what you are talking about with the nurse telling you not to move, when the PM hit the plunger on that needle in took all 95lbs that nurse had in her to hold my leg down, wow that hurt.

I have great expectations for this injection.

So far I have found SH to be a wonderful resource, everyone here has been reassuring and thoughtful, and it is appreciated deeply.

R
  • Hiya charry, >:D< i am glad that the injections have worked for you :) Its been 11 days since i had the facets injected and im still in pain :''( , how long does it take for them to work? :? I am also feeling drained and exhausted I) . My daughter has been golden, but i cant have her running errands for me any more and doing chores :( , im just going to tell her that im feeling ok today :S , but im not, not at all :''( :( . I just wish all this would go away :( :''( , i am starting to feel low about all this now :''(

Angie :H .
  • I've had 4 epidural injections which progressively got woese in pain. The first 2- no problem. Last two were wickedly painful. Now I'm going in for surgery tomorrow. This all began for me a year ago in October.

The whole "pain" experience is so personal and can be such a downer. I have 8 people in my house to worry about and three relatives showing up for the holidays tomorrow. So I know how you feel about feeling guilty about having your daughter do things for you. I think all the additional stress of the holiDAZE can really be a bummer. Hang in there, and be sure and tell your doc how much pain you're still in. This site has really helped me on those very low- can't take another bit of this- days.

Shelley
  • I had 5 epidurals, 2 of them after a microdiscectomy because my sciatic nerve was so inflamed and swollen. I had hellacious muscle spasms that would make one scream. The last injection left me worse off and later on I had a 2 level fusion and laminectomy. My doctor told me that I did superbly on that table, and that they have had grown men scream and cry. They gave me rubber balls to squeeze and oh boy did I squash those things. The worst part for me was the tapping of the needle near the nerve. I hope you get relief from your epidural #:S
  • Well I'm 2 days post injection, and I was hoping I would feel a bit better, I know that there is a period of time to expect pain and that is normal, I was just hoping on some level it would be a magical fix-all.

The pain in my leg has gotten a bit worse, I am medicated and dealing with the pain just fine for now, I am really hoping to see some improvement in the next week.

Thank you to all those who provided kind words and shared similar experiences, this board is really helpful.

R
advertisement