Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

morphine sickness

MingMMing Posts: 1,127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Did anyone get sick while they were on the morphine pump after surgery? I've never had morphine before I my second day I was in tremendous pain so I kept pushing that button all day. I think I locked myself out a couple of times. I had a lot of visitors that day and my husband kept pushing me to get up and walk. Anyway, I woke up in the middle of the night and I was so sick to my stomach :& :sick: , my oxygen level went way down, my bp went way down and I had a fever. I was so scared. The nurses said I had too much morphine and they've seen this before. The next day they took the pump away and I had to stay an extra day to make sure I was ok.

The PM doc mentioned morphine or some kind of patches for pain because the vicoprofen hasn't been working as well. I said no to morphine because of my experience in the hospital and no to patches because my skin gets irritated easily.

I was just courious if anyone else had this reaction to morphine.
advertisement

Comments

• I couldn't tolerate morphine after my shoulder or nose surgeries. I was sick and was always the last patient to go home. Even the Nurse went home before me. But she wheeled me down to the floor in a gerri chair. I told my husband to get me a wheelchair and bring me downstairs and get the car.Not a good experience all 3 operations. But now I'm on MS contin 60 mg twice a day and I feel good and no nausea at all. I personally didn't drop my oxygen level like you did though , but I've seen patients who have dropped their pressure and o2 with morphine. But usually it's the drug of choice but you need to probably ask for an antiemetic so you won't feel nauseated. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Morphine commonly makes patients nauseas, itchy, and hot, especially in IV form. I prefer dilaudid for myself and my patients, as it seems to have less side effects. I still got a little nauseas and had zofran and reglan a couple times post-op. The oral forms of morphine are less likely to make you sick than the IV form, but of course still possible. Hope your pain is under control soon.
    >:D< Cali-Sue
  • I forgot all about reglan. I am allergic to reglan so I was unable to take that at the hospital. I had a dystonic reaction at work which was not fun. I didn't know what was happening and they had to call 911 and take me to hospital in an ambulance. I was scared and embarrassed at the same time. Anyway, since I couldn't take that, they pumped me full of laxatives and stool softeners and wouldn't send me home til I had a BM which I lied and said I did so they wouldn't keep me there. :^o I have IBS-C so I knew being on these meds, having surgery that shuts down your system and being stuck in a hospital bed was not going to be good for my system. When I did finally go 5 days after surgery it was a horrible experience TMI. I will just leave it at that.
  • ...worked wonderfully after my fusion, as I also get really sick from plain morphine but can't get relief from anyting else. Dilaudid is a morphine dirivative w/ the component that makes you sick removed from it so it gives you great pain relief w/o the sickness. My doc gave me the Zofran just for extra measure of caution, as I had 3 surgeries in one year & he didn't want anything to "move around" from me getting so sick.

For the "other" problem: try Metamucil & colace--experiment w/ the amounts until you find your right combo. Opiates will bind you up, as you know...

Also graham crackers, prunes & lots of water & walk around when you can.

Fusions just wreck your whole system for awhile! Hope you feel better soon! You're only 4 months out---I'm at almost a year & still have my lousy days! Courage & patience!

~Lakeside
advertisement