Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cold feet (literally) & Trouble sleeping

Christina69CChristina69 Posts: 534
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've noticed that since I had my PLIF in June that this winter my feet, especially my toes are always freezing. I've never had this happen prior to my back surgery.
I do have nerve damage in my feet and have the constant numbness and tingling though.
Does anyone else have this problem? Even when I put socks on they're still freezing.

Also, I've been having alot of trouble sleeping. I've always had to take sleeping pills but even they're not working anymore plus my family doctor said she's not gonna refill my prescription anymore after this last bottle because she doesn't want me to get addicted! She's GOT to be kidding!!

Has anyway asked their spine surgeons for anything that helps? Flexeril doesnt work alone and I've been mixing it with Ambien right now to get some sleep. I heard Valium works. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Christina >:D<
advertisement

Comments

• I have been taking it for 3 years now, I have tried t sleep with out it and I cant, I just lay there,, Now sometimes if I take my percs with them I stay awake also,,,, weierd
  • I have that problem as well. If I take the percs at the same time, it keeps me awake. On the nights I don't take my Ambien and Flexeril I'm awake until 6am then sleep for 2 hours and am up for the day again. It's awful.
    Thanks for your input cyndi =)

Christina >:D<

• Hiya, since my operation in 2003 i have had the same problem with the cold feet or should i say foot :? , its mainly the right foot its never warm :( . I do have nerve damage and most of the problem are on the right side :? . I asked my pain management doctor why and he said it is bad circulation, you need to rub your legs :) , to encourage the circulation, or a soft brush, but brush upwards towards the heart :? . I hope this helps. >:D<

Angie :H
  • I am 7 weeks post op and I have the same problem. I wonder if my feet were always like that though and I just couldn't feel it. Sometimes too....my right hand will be noticably colder than my left. I am going to the dr today and am going to bring that up. I assume it's from all the damage done from the pinched nerves or something.
  • I actually often go to sleep with a pair of down "booties" on - I bought mine from of all places Restoration Hardware, but they can be found elsewhere too. To warm of feet quickly, I will also use those charcoal air-activated pads, like "Toastie Toes" or Heat-Max; usually you can easily find them in the sporting goods depts. around hunting season, but they are more expensive.
  • I actually often go to sleep with a pair of down "booties" on - I bought mine from of all places Restoration Hardware, but they can be found elsewhere too. To warm of feet quickly, I will also use those charcoal air-activated pads, like "Toastie Toes" or Heat-Max; usually you can easily find them in the sporting goods depts. around hunting season, but they are more expensive.
  • I have had the same issues. Regarding cold feet and hands, go to your primary care physician and discuss this. Due to an insurance change, I had to see a new PCP last month and mentioned my cold extremities. She had a blood test done and it came back that I was anemic - low platelet count. For now, I am taking iron pills and after several weeks my hands and feet are warmer. I'm waiting to hear about the results of a follow-up test.

For sleep, I'm still taking Vicodin and Soma, so they help me sleep for 4-6 hours. Prior to my surgery I had sleep problems for years. What helped me a bit was taking Melatonin. I had taken it for approximately 5-7 years prior to surgery. There seem to be no studies about long-term usage, but I had no problems with it. I'm not using it now because the Vicodin and Soma seem to produce the same effect (and lessen my pain/discomfort as well).
  • Hello to all and I have just read everyone's answer but the question was never answered atleast i don't think so..I just had back surgery on L4 and L5 fused,on jan 6,09.. Today is Jan 12,09 and I also notice that my right foot has a tingaly sensation like if it was going to sleep and my foot is also cold. I asked my doctor and he said its normal and he said yes and it will heal with time...

marcoagu
  • is warm & red compared to my right, when I had my follow up the surgeon said this happens sometimes and that it has to do with the nerve being irratated -sorry, I can't remember exactly what he called it- but he said I was right, I wasn't imagining it!

I don't know if this is the same situation for you but when you feel both of my feet the right one seems cold in comparison.

As for the sleep, Lunesta has worked like a charm for 4 years for me I)

• hello angie from birmingham my names neil ilive in the midlands and had surgery at the QE was interested in what surgeon you are going to see . i do not wish to worry you but if you were going to see the same surgeon as myself just make sure you are happy with everything that is said to you my surgery whent very badly for me and left me much much worse off if you get this message reply to me and i can give you the name of the surgeon that did my surgery in brum just so that you are aware and can ask lots of questions of him hope things go well for you neil
  • are always freezing. Unless I'm in the shower, you will find me with socks and booty type slippers on and my toes are still cold.

Also, if I take Percocet with my Ambien, I cannot sleep. That makes at least 3 of us in this thread!

I have been trying to get off Ambien. I went a few days without it, and then took it one night. Slept fine, but was in an "Ambien haze" until the afternoon the next day. So I've now gone 2 night again without it, but I am waking up every 2 hours. I'm hoping with the SCS, I can sleep better.

I don't mind to take Ambien (and have for 2+ years), but hate the haze I sometimes have. Also, my doctor only gives me 20 a month, so I have to find 10 days where I don't take it or I will run out. She believes it can cause "rebound insomnia".

With the SCS now, I'm trying to take less and less meds. That's the plan for the future, anyway. lol

Cheri
  • had fusion l3 thru S1 back on 09 and stilll have mumbness in all toes. drs say oh it cant be that. they are full of --bruce
  • Hi, i had a microdiscectomy L5/S1 over six months ago and had to wait 10 months to get the surgery. During the waiting period I experienced the cold & numbing in both feet. The Dr I saw believed the nerve compression to be the cause (as it had gone on for an extended period.

He explained to me following the surgery the numbness & cold would probably remain for an unknown period of time - which it has. However I was told prior to surgery I may have a circulation issue which prompted me to buy a foot circulation boosting machine. The one I still have and use is a REVITIVE model. During the day I rarely use it but on nights I became accustomed prior to surgery to use it with what I consider good success - One word of warning these aren't cheap so I would use the 30 day money back guarentee products. I tried 2 others with limited degrees of success and returned both. The one I kept had a 60 day guarentee but annoyingly was also the most expensive.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,356
    My PM/Neurologist said that my foot symptoms were related to my peroneal nerve. You can search above or here's a link to an overview http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spine-anatomy/sciatic-nerve-anatomy

It all makes sense to me now. (don't like it ... but it is what it is).

Hope your having reduced pain today,

D
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

advertisement