Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 wks post op acdf level 2

cliffy1012ccliffy1012 Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
well its been 4wks since surgery and doing great as far as i read im one of the lucky ones. since i didnt know of my problem until july this year.dealt with arm pain and shoulder pain for several yrs. after surgery yes my throat was burning,shoulders and neck were in severe pain.(due to the position they put you in for the procedure) couldnt swallow. but from reading all info i expected it. this wasnt a 100% fix nor a 1oo% pain free fix.when i woke up in recovery my mind was already racing with fear and i started moving my hands and feet to make sure they worked and they did. once i got in my room i wanted water and continued drinking a lot of it to sooth my troat. swallowing food was hard. forced myself to do it though. was up walking after a couple of hours and wasnt going to sit on my butt the whole time. first week was rough sleeping slept sideways against recliner back until neck wasnt hurting as much.by the second week i was able to sleep on side with the pillows leveling my head with back. mind you i have the hard collar on. third week i was starting to walk every other day and since i walk 10+miles a day being a mail man it felt good to walk.i still dont push it though. no lifting more than a milk jug i have been active all my life its hard resisting to do things. i know this is a long healing process and i have to except it. no matter how stir crazy im gonna get.
i will tell people who have neck pains, back pains and arm pains that dont go away in time or with physical therapy should get it checked out dont ignore the pain like me or most of the people in here. ignoring it is the worst thing you can do. if i had checked this out several yrs ago i might have saved a disc who knows. if you have to have surgery go in with your head high dont fret or worry. to the point of a panic attack. being nervous is normal. just before i went into surgery i started to make jokes with docs and nurses. it breaks the ice and relaxes me. im satisfied with my outcome and was surprised i had more problems with my body due to my pinched nerves. i sensitivity loss in my hands and feet. arm pains in both shoulders and arms to elbow. severe leg aches and wobbly legs causing me st stagger. also severe muscle twitches everywhere.
after surgery most pain gone left arm has some since i had pain there for several yrs. legs dont hurt,and sensitivity is back.so dont think the worse. in some cases i can understand there is no pain relief. everyone is different and cant judge anyone with the pains they have or had. you yourself knows what you have wrong. let your doctor know and take action and dont wait. i myself plan to go back to work get back with my life and keep my head high no matter what. hope i didnt bore you with my rambling, but when no one is around to listen. i have my computer
advertisement

Comments

• Hey Cliffy, nice of you to post how you are doing. I should too soon do an update, but will wait till I see surgeon in January, I see you in chat, talk there
  • Hi everyone,
    I have been reading posts and still do not know all the acronyms so please excuse me. This is also the first board in which I have been involved. I am 40 years old and not familiar with these technology inovations. I am doing very well post surgery September 22nd with artificial cervical disc replacement. I have already had L5 discectomy/laminotomy and did extremely well with that (surgery 2002..walking 6-10 miles daily and used to ride bike before cervical issues).

My question is whether others with cervical surgery have had issues with feeling like their throat is constricted or they are being strangled much of the time? I am being monitored via X-rays every 6 weeks but it is difficult to deal with the constriction feeling. Is this normal?
    Thanks for any input :H
  • marram
    didnt have that kind of feeling. just problems swallowing first week. doing pretty good so far.
  • cliffy,
    thanks for response..i did follow another thread in which someone mentioned the feeling of swallowing a golf ball. So I guess there are some people with that feeling. Still trying to find others with artificial disc replacement and their thoughts. I did go back and introduce myself. Sorry I used this thread first..
  • Hi Marram . . .

Today, I am 4 weeks post-op for 2 level acdf at c5/6 - 6/7, with cadaver bone and titanium plates and screws. I also got my first x-ray today -- and the technician let me see it. Wow -- kinda incredible to see that hardware bolted into my bones. I asked if he could tell if I had any "fusion" occurring, and he said that he couldn't tell -- the x-rays was very opaque . . . you could see the cadaver bone, and nothing between it and my discs. Sure hope it's just too early to tell.

I also returned to work today . . . part-time, 4 hours per day, and I was suprised how exhausted I was!!! LOL. It's gonna take some time to work back up to my 10 - 12 hour days.

My throat is weird. Six hours after surgery, I swore somebody implanted a golf ball -- it was horrible to swallow. Eating with challenging and STILL IS. It's not painful now, but it feels as if somebody has their hand over my windpipe and is putting pressure on it. Try that -- and then try to swallow. UGH. Food sometimes gets stuck a bit, and food kinda backs up underneath the hardware.

My second appointment with my NS is next Tuesday -- and I'm definitely going to ask about this throat thing. I want it to go away.
  • Hi All,

Hope you are all well !

I'm considering having this proceedure done.

I'd like to know from you guys if you think this proceedure is worth it, and would you do it again? Did the golfballs go away?

Think I've read enough material that I could become a doctor, but not enough follow up to give me the warm and fuzzy feeling, if you get my drift.

If you dont mind, I have the user IDs from this thread and would like to PM you on this topic.

THANKS
advertisement