Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware causing Pain or just healing

kadarokkadaro Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

Its been 4 weeks post op for my 2 level TLIF w/HW.

Only on my left side, in my pelvic area....I get a god allfull deep pain :jawdrop: anytime I move quickly or sneeze, hiccup etc. It makes me cringe to the point of feeling faint. It does pass in seconds...which seems forever in the moment.

In bed or resting anyplace, I need to move my legs very slowly, and get up very carefully to start moving. Then All is good once I'm up...but I do still feel a tinge in that hot spot.

My right side is solid.

I suspect something with the screw for my rods on that side. A loose screw, unsolid screw mount...poor fixation?

Is this normal, and will deminish after healing?

Any feedback most welcome...
Tom

advertisement

Comments

• Did you have bone taken from your hip for the fusion? If so, that's probably where the pain is coming from. I know, it's absolutely horrible when it happens. I had more pain from there than I did from the incision. It finally stopped hurting so much around the 3-4 month mark. It does get better and I'm told that once the pain leaves, it seldom comes back (at least from that point, anyway). Sorry you're feeling the pain right now, but hang in there!
  • It's funny you mention this because I had the same problem although my surgery was in the front. I asked the doc why it hurt so bad there, it was worse than the pain from incision. He said it's because they open up your stomach and scoop out your guts and can be rough :sick: Thinking about what they had to do to get to my back just makes me sick. Did they cut you in front or back? Also as joy mentioned, if they took bone from your hip it could be that. They said they didn't use my own bone but I swear they took a chunk of my pelvic by the way it felt for months.
  • Hi Ming, Joy,

They did everything from the back/posterior and no bone was harvested. I got those titanium insert/implants in place of my discs with fusion material packed in there.

The incision feels great, and just achy as it heals. I'm using a Fusion Stimular 24/7 which does not feel like anything....but I'm sure it adds some level of discomfort.

I'm sure its the screw at the left pelvic area.

Even though all the hardware (6 screws, 2 rods, 2 inplants) should lock everything in place...I di envision the implants rocking in place as I move...or the screw in the pelvic bone is not tight or well planted.

The mind plays some weird scenarios...huh?

• I had a 360 fusion and feel a slighter pain in the same area. I thought my appendix was acting up but I think it is just healing of the insides. It feels like I did too many crunches but thats not happening any time soon. I did have front and back surgery so it could be coming from the back but I really feel its inflammed tissue since I can pinpoint the spot by pressing into my lower abdomen. Call your doctor if you are concerned. I hope we all get better soon.
advertisement