Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what is EMG

MingMMing Posts: 1,127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
I thought I've had all the tests there are until I've seen others posting about an EMG. What is this and what does it check for and what is involved in this test?
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,726
    for what a EMG is:

What is an EMG?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Is this the same thing as a nerve conduction test? I was told I may need one if the SI injection doesn't work since my dad has peripheral neuropathy and I guess it can be genetic and I have symptoms of nerve problems. They are just ruling out everything else first as I heard this test is extremely painful. Did you have one done before and if so, could you tell me your experience?
  • i have had one and it is not painful. the only thing is sticking skinny needles in your legs. then they measure your nerve inpulses. the only test i have ever had that was painful was a discectomy where they inject dye into your disc. you are sedated for this but not for the emg.
    relax, they are no problem and do not hurt

jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,726
    Michelle, I've included a link to an article that goes into some details about those tests
    http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article101.html
    I have had a number of EMGs, but never a Nerve conduction test (though some articles make them seem alike)

Jon, I figured some day this would happen, I found something I disagree with you on!

Well, only partially. I have had several EMG's that were not painful at all. 15 minutes of needles probing nerve roots and it was over. BUT when they have to find some deep nerves, the needles a bit longer and the strength and duration is a lot longer. My last EMG was about 45 minutes long and I think I jumped off the table one or two times
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • On the same day, I have a nerve conduction study and an EMG. For me, when they were testing my S1 nerve, it was painful, but not horrible or unbearable. And was fairly quick. My other nerves that they tested were not painful at all. I'm thankful I finally had them because my diagnosis became clear as a result.

Cheri
  • the only "discomfort" i experienced was a shock like sensation occasionally when they went into certain nerves. i never had the long needles like ron, at least i don't remember. i just remember, it was like someone snapping a rubber band on my leg, lightly. i guess i was lucky with little or no pain at all. if you are worried, ask dr for sedative or take a pain pill before you have it. the only proceedure i have had that gave me pain was discography. eventhough you are sedated, you are awake, but you don't remember it at all. after was when i had pain. so don't worry

jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • If it's not as bad as the discogram I'll be set. That was the most horrifying pain i've had and I didn't have IV sedative. They gave me 2 xanax and that didn't help at all. Once they hit l5/s1 I started crying like a new born baby. :''( :''(
  • they did not put you our for your discogram? i never heard of that. i had mine done in out patient clinic at hospital under sedation. after about an hour of recovery, they gave me a shot and script and sent me home. pain lasted for about 2 1/2 weeks. showed 2 herniated discs. dye flowed out of both so it narrowed down what to do with me, surgery. 2 fusions, L4-5. that was 8 yrs ago and the stress of that surgery caused my L3 to herniate so more surgery last april
    don't sweat it
    good luck
    jon
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.