Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low back spasms

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
OK, every year my back goes into spasms and I cant walk erect for about 3 weeks. Then another 3 weeks of hurting after sitting and then takes me about 4-5 minutes of stading erect before it loosens. Each time, after this happens, I get pain killers and muscle relaxers. Is there anything to speed this process up like injections or something?
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,729
    The best way to speed up the process is to try to minimize the occurrence of the problem in the first place. Medicine can handle problems once they have surfaced, but its between patient and doctor, with the ownership on the patient to do all the right things to avoid spinal and muscular problems

Always make sure you have an approved exercise program in place. For lower back, many times that will include
    stomach strengthening exercises as well as leg and torso stretching.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • like what I go through with my arthritic facet joints. When it does get bad enough there are things that a PM doc can do to help. But, If you are able to control it with occasional meds and stretching that is the better alternative.
  • I agree with painintheback it could be your facet joints. I had facet joint injections on Saturday Dec 6 and I have a little better movement although still sore from the injections. Of course we're not Drs and just sharing as it could be something else. Take care. Have you had a recent MRI? Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi,

i really do feel the spasms for you,i end up at ER at this time of year to for muscle spasams......

i ended up at ER last wednesday in terrible pain,i couldnt walk the only thing i was capable of was tears,the hospital injected me with morphine and 10mg of diazapam for muscle relaxant.it didnt cure me but it did start to aid me to relax which is part in part with tensing up with the pain of the spasm.

i was given a perscription of 6x10mg diazapam to take morning and night,3 days worth.i am on my own meds still which was slow release tramadol 100mg morning and night then lyrica 300mg morning and night,this is how i had to manage throughout this spasm.i could not walk for 5days.istill feel fragile,my physiotherapist cancelled my abdomin core strengthen appoint this week and i was due to get the steriod epidural on 11th dec before this happened and they cancelled this too due to detecting i had kidney infection.

this is how i was left to get over the spasam,everyone is different in healing and its a very painful thing to be going through so do take it slow and seek every medical advice,i am thinking of you and i am in similar situation as yourself although i am not medically telling you your treatment this is just how my spasam was treated.
    take care
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.