Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had their friends try to get pain meds off you?

MingMMing Posts: 1,127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
I forgot to mention this in one of my posts but I can't find which topic we were on. Anyway, I had...notice I put had...a friend who was supposed to be my best friends since I was 13. She knew I was on pain meds and was always bugging me to give her some just because she liked to take them for the high. Her boyfriend got ran over by a truck and literally crushed his legs. He didn't take his pain meds so she felt the need to take them and have him keep filling his prescription. She even wanted to crush them up and snort them with me at one point. I just told her that my doc monitors my meds very closely and I have to account for each pill and I can't spare any for her. She never even visited me in the hospital or called to see how I was doing or visited me at home or anything. It seems she was just trying to use me for pain meds. Once I wouldn't give her any, she just stopped talking to me.
advertisement

Comments

• Michele -

I am appalled that a "friend" would ask this of you. And, equally proud of you for not giving in. This scenario speaks volumes for the both of you. With friends like that.... Maybe you are better off without her friendship. Just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions, right? "Opinions are like a$$-holes - everyone has one and they all stink". Hope that isn't offensive for anyone out there. If so, OOPS - Sorry. It's early here and I'm not having the best of days...

I have never had anyone ask me for a pain pill. Except for my brother (God rest his soul). Like you, I did not give in either. We go through too much to even be able to take the darn things to mess it up on someone who cares little about us.

Kudos to you Michele! I hope you have a great day with as many pain-free moments as possible.

Jeaux
  • She's keeping tabs on you in order to get her hands on your pain meds. That's all. She has a serious problem and needs help. I have heard many stories here about family and friends dipping into people's painkillers while they are recovering from surgery and it's awful. You don't want to be the one who has all their pills stolen and you have to fend for yourself because the doctor won't replace them. They hear that story hundreds of times and they won't do anything about it. Protect yourself from people like that. They are opportunistic and will "be there for you" in order to get their hands on your stuff. I had a relative act like that, and when I stepped back in the room, I found her digging through my purse for my pain pills. You will find that some people, even relatives, will start hitting you up for them. The best thing to do is keep that info to yourself and hide your meds in a safe place. If they wind up gone, it's you who will pay the price.
  • Buh-bye now.

You can continue to love this person from a distance. But, as long as they are trying to cope with this obvious addiction they should be no where near you. My opinion anyway.

One Love,

Stephanie

• This is why I am so grateful that my life is so isolated, I had friends who wanted xanax off me many moons ago.I dropped them so fast even some 15+ yr friendships.Now, I avoid talking about it with anyone, I never keep more than 3 days worth on me when out-I keep all my bottles so its easy to have one w/ proper ID on me at all times.The rest are locked up, your friend needs some help and also should respect that you need that med to make it through the day, not some so-called "high" which is absurd to me in the first place.I just do not understand the fascination with these medications, I m under medicated, treated like crap my doctor just because a few get their jolly's of a med I need.It may be time to stay away from that person for awhile, a true friend would never put you in this situation.
  • I have several friends that I have given a pain pill or two too, but never to just anyone. And they have never asked me for any either. Mostly severe PMS pain, I would offer one to get them feeling better, because there was nothing worse then seeing my friends in pain, in tears and not able to do anything. Yes they should see a doctor, but sometimes that is what friends are for. However, in your case my dear, don't worry about her being your friend. Pray for her safety and that she gets help for her obvious addiction, but don't stress over it. My grandfather once told me, that if you have at least 5 friends show up to your funeral, then you did good in life. I took that to heart, because I can count how many actual friends I have on one hand....3.... Good luck.
  • I haven't talked to her since that night and I don't want to either. I should also mention that later that night my other good friend and I were searching for her husband who "disappeared". We found her husband in the bushes doing the nasty with this supposed drug seeking best friend of mine. Between screwing my friend's husband in front of the wife and me and trying to take advantage of me for pain meds, I don't need her or her reputation. They say you are who you hang out with and I really don't need things like that said about me. I found out that night that she is a swinger, which I hope no one is offended by this but it's just not my thing. My other good friend was mortified that her husband and our supposed friend would do something like this. Of course, he used the excuse he was drunk and didn't know what was going on. We were at a bar and this drug seeking scank was going around showing her boobs (which I call her tatertots because she doesn't have any) and was wearing a skirt with no panties and flashing her coochy. It was a messed up night to say the least. I also left my purse on the bar and step away for a second and seen her and her boyfriend crowded around it so I don't know if they got any or not.

I would rather have 3 really great, trusting, dependable friends than 15 that suck and take advantage of me.
  • Ya, I gots the nastsy friend (20) plus years who only EVER comes round when he wants something..bummer, so dont feel bad about leach/parasite/life sucking friends. I only communicat coz its the christian thing to do...and old habit, but, I am glad you stood up for your rights!!! And dont forget, they'll come knocking, you'll say no..and now your a tool to the world...ohh well right, they only wanted to use ya anyway. life is funny like that though, open heart insert friend,get bad ccase of burn. keep that chin up and walk tall, you are doing the right thing!
  • I have a house full of teenagers most of the time. So where I go so does my purse. I have narcotics hidden so well in my house they would have to be really brilliant kids to find them. I trust my own kids but occasionally one of them brings someone over whom I've never met and I just don't chance it. I keep my meds in my weekly container and keep the empty bottles in my purse so that if I'm ever questioned about them I have the bottle but no one would ever be able to steal my entire prescription. Oh but then there is my sister and she has a headache EVERY time I see her. She actually stuck her hand in my purse once and I let her know in a hurry that she would not be taking MY percocet go get her own if she was in that much pain. I did however give her a medication that I take for migraines which I know has no "makes you high feeling" side effects. I told her if they worked for her then she should go see my doctor and see about getting a prescription. She claims they didn't do anything for her headache which only leaves me to believe the headache didn't exist in the first place. Had she not been my sister she wouldn't have gotten that far with me. I'm really sorry your friend is the pits. Make sure you are NEVER around her again. She's no friend.
  • It was nice to listen to each experiences and realize how we all struggle with our pain meds in so many different ways. The stigma we get for taking them, the leaches who want to used us so they can take advantage of us and abuse them, the convincing we have to do to our docs to get them to understand the pain we are in so we can get our next months script.

I know how hard it is for someone you love and is so close to you asks for pain meds. I have given a couple out to a dear friend of my ours who was seriously in an extreme amount of back pain and we know he doesn't abuse them. He did go to his doc on the following Monday to get his own. It happened to be a weekend. It is pretty obvious and easy to tell the difference between the users and those in real pain.

I keep mine in my purse and keep my purse with me at all times but I have often wondered what would happen if my purse got stolen. All our friends know I am on pain meds and come and go in our house as well as the kids' friends so I am afraid to keep them out. My 15 cousin was living here too and would have friends over as well. I need to get a safe and lock them up and only carry what I need. Here in NY if you get caught with them w/o the bottle you can get arrested so I like the idea of carrying the empty bottles.
  • I guess that I am glad that I am an antisocial hermit. I have never had this happen to me but I don't hang out with anyone but family. They would never think of doing anything like this. I guess I will count my blessings again.
  • In 2005 my sister was very sick. She had cancer of the liver. She was on morphine and was taking quite a bit. Her drip machine stopped working and being a Saturday night we could not get Hospice.
    I had jut gotten 20 percocets for a leg burn and I gladly gave them to her. I know that they were not going to get her to the level of relief she had but she did get some and a saw her smile. That's the lasting memory I have of her, my sister's smile. She went to the Lord the following day.
  • I have/had one friend like that. He's been through rehab three times now, wrecked two 45K dollar cars, lost his dream home and job, just ruined his life. He is a great guy, I get along with him SO very well, but I won't ever see him under any circumstances again. Last time I saw him was a few weeks after his disk replacement surgery; he was happy and all smiles, and wanted to know everything I had and what I would sell him. Nope!

People who are hooked in such a way; they will never bring anything positive to your life. Stay VERY far away from these types of people, and if you ever have a chance to help them, do so, but never, ever, EVER by giving them your meds(or money). Tough love only.
  • Ming,
    This is truly a concerning situation. Hanging with someone who wants to “snort pain meds” is beyond nice words I can express. Please discontinue your association with that person. They say people end up turning out like the one they associate themselves with and I don’t wish those particular results on anyone.

• That must be very comforting for you to know that you helped your sister in her time of need. I would absolutely do the same thing in your shoes.
  • I trashed the trash right after that.

DaveNH, my heart goes out to you. My aunt just died of breast cancer and heart disease and she got rx pain meds and would try to get people to give them or sell them to them.

People like those who abuse are the ones that are creating the problems for those of use who truly need the meds and do not abuse them.

I am proud of all of you for your strong will.
  • A friend of mine has severe lower back pain from a bone spur so big it pretty much connects her spine to her pelvis (her brother calls it her tail). She's also had two shoulder surgeries and ACL surgery on one knee. She sees a chiropractor and has her own Rx for tramadol, but I have given her some of my hydrocodone. Once we were at a conference in Reno and she forgot her Rx, and there's a couple times we've been camping and the tramadol just wasn't cutting it. She was also the one who drove me 5 hours to the hospital for my ACDF surgery and drove me back home the next day. All that time in the car played havoc on her back and knee, so she took some of my meds when we finally got home.

She is a vet and could fairly easily fake patient prescriptions if she really wanted to abuse pain meds for the "high". I've seen her x-rays and I know what kind of pain she works through every day, so I am happy to help.

However, the "friend" of the original poster is WAY out of line. I would never give narcotics to someone wanting them for the fun of it, and would quickly drop contact with anyone begging for them!
  • My narcs as well as my other pills are always with me or locked up. Period.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,736
    About 20 years ago while I was in my office (around 6:30AM), I left my container of Tylox in the right corner of my desk draw. I went down to get some coffee, came back up, thinking of nothing, until around 10:30 I was looking for my Pain medication. It was gone! Missing, I called home to see if I had left it, but nope, I did bring it with me.
    Now at that hour there were only about 8 people in the building at that time, 5 of the were building workers and not part of the company. Really wasnt much I could do, couldnt pick out someone.
    Luckily, back then it was easier to go back to my Neuro to order ma a new refll., no questions asked!
    From that point on, I made a habit of securing all my medications. All my narcotics are now in a safe and I only take what I need for 3 days at a time.
    Sad when people resort to stealing someone elses prescriptions. I am not even sure of the building workers spoke English, so far all they knew, those pills could have
    been Horse fertility pills
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement