Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Scoili Surgery: What Activities can I do now?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Scoliosis
:SS Good Morning, I am the Mom of a 19 year old daughter who had surgery in June 2006. She is a sophomore in College who wants to go to Colorado skiing over Christmas Break.
She has never skied before and I am petrified something will happen. Yes, we have a call into her Doctor and I LOVED him as her surgeon, but he seems a little to "well go ahead and try anything" attitude. She had succesful surgery and is in no pain other then the "normal" weather related or sleeping funny or occasional "shooting pains" she's had since her post check up visits. Does anyone have advice from other Doctors on what you are "allowed" to do now?
Thank you for your help in advance. From: a scared mom!
advertisement

Comments

• I'm 51 and had surgery 1 year ago. I can't ride motorcycles anymore ( for fear of an accident. I would think skiing would be a little risky, only if there were an "accident" Is she fused with hardware? The fear would be breaking the fusion. Sports are scarry. I think most stick to swimming, golfing, maybe tennis. Do check with the Doctor, i would be curious as to what he says if there were to be a accident.
  • If she had surgery 2.5 years ago, she should be fine to do nearly anything (maybe not roller coasters or sky-diving, that's all). Assuming your daughter is healthy, I see no problem with her going skiing or doing just about any other physical activity.

I had anterior scoliosis surgery when I was 18 in 1999 and my doctor told me to be very careful for the first months, cautious for the first two years, then I was free to do as I pleased. Having a fused spine has caused surprisingly little pain, discomfort, or inconvenience. I was very active in sports when younger, and after my two-year full-recovery window, I went right back to sports and weight-lifting with just as much gusto as before. Twisting, bending over, sudden movements, touching my toes, and tripping like a klutz are no problem for me, and I suspect not for your daughter either. If your daughter had her spine fused, after 2.5 years the fused spine is actually stronger than the rod. At worst she may want to bring some Aleve with her for soreness, but that's about it.

Let me know if you have any more questions about my experience. I am happy to help.
  • I had my surgery 13 months ago (I'm 50) and my favorite pastime is roller coasters with the grandkids. My doc said it was fine, but I haven't attempted skiing yet, but I'd assume it was ok too. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.